Flange squeal...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

No, I am not joking...strangest thing yesterday.

I was driving down Hagley Road in Birmingham just listening to a Podcast bumbling along. I was aware of what I thought was a background noise on the recording, like a train weaving into a station with that high-pitched flange squeal. I turned off the sound and it carried on...I stopped at the lights and it stopped...oops, did not sound good. I couldn't pull over (that road is unreal), so I wound down the window and was surprised at how loud the noise was and, I guess, how much sound these cars block out with the windows closed. I figured it was a trapped stone in a brake guard or some such thing and that as I drove it would be nicely scoring a groove in the disc. Lovely stuff. Then it stopped, I suppose as the stone drooped out. I pulled over when I could and noted zero damage to any disc and no evidence of anything at all. Really strange.

Anyone else had this sort of noise?

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Had it a few times; at first sign I now reverse a few feet which normally does the job.

I did have a stone damage a brake line once so it's good to have a look if the noise is present for long.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

I was planning to do so quick reverse once I had pulled over. My previous car, M3, had this. I guess the stone just fell out.