Electric Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Thanks. :) I will investigate further...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Seeing we are off EV Macan topic and onto home energy.

If you are interested in saving energy then a device such as this will show you the state of your usage both before and after installing energy efficient systems

https://www.amazon.co.uk/geo-Minim-Ener ... P98ZHQVXGZ

Other energy monitors are available.

We installed several in local areas in the organisation I worked for to help generate in the staff a knowledge of where some of the budget goes and that their participation in energy management was required to minimise consumption which in turn would free up budget cash for other uses.

The fitting of energy efficient lighting in areas where it is not going to be frequently used is not necessarily the best way forward. Identify the lights that are on for the longest periods and change these lamps to LEDs or energy efficient compact flourescents.

Eg
For the last 25 years in my houses the lounge, kitchen, bathroom and main bedroom lighting have been compact flourescent (which is far less intense light output than the relatively recent LED) and in those 25 years I have only had to replace 2 lamps due to failure.

Fitting an energy monitor can enable you to identify where the significant loads are within your house.

Appliances such as TVs, washing machines, dishwashers, fridges and freezers are the really big consumers of electricity so when you buy one do go for thise with the highest energy efficiency rating.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:22 pm
For the last 25 years in my houses the lounge, kitchen, bathroom and main bedroom lighting have been compact flourescent (which is far less intense light output than the relatively recent LED) and in those 25 years I have only had to replace 2 lamps due to failure.
We've still got a few CFLs around the house and they are pretty good, but I now prefer the light output from the current crop of LED alternatives. We've now got the latest generation of Philips smart lighting in the lounge, family room and the kids bedrooms. I like being able to change the white temperature and in some cases the colour too. I recently picked up some of the cheaper Ikea LED bulbs which are compatible with the Philips smart system, but haven't got round to trying them yet.

I can't say I've had as much luck as you with CFL lifespan, the ones we have in the study, kitchen and utility have all failed every couple of years. Those are all the ring type though and can be a pita to change in some fittings. We've got one bulb type CFL in our upstairs hallway, but I'm going to replace that with LED when I get round to it.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I have the EU-banned incandescents pretty much everywhere, but they do keep the house warm! ;)
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So “most” Taycan “orders” are from Tesla owners, it seems.

There was a time when Porsche customers were investment bankers. Now they’re rich liberals (as someone at Porsche calls them).

Somewhere in between it was footballers or people married to footballers because RR became so common.

Porsche used to be a sporting marque for driving enthusiasts.

I wonder if that will ever be the case again or are we doomed?

Perhaps the sportier E Macan might save the day in the middle ground.

I hope we see a 48v ISM/G style Macan using the gubbins from the new new Golf. Should suit the car quite well. Practical. Instant torque and driveability . Better than diesel efficiency. Not 3 tonnes.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
VanB

Post by VanB »

I do firmly believe that, for the most part, Porsche represents a sporting brand for the driving enthusiast and that, to a greater or lesser extent, most forum members fall into that category.

That being said Porsche saved themselves with the Chelsea tractor which was the original Cayenne and built on that success with the Macan and I wonder how many owners of these vehicles are interested in the sporting heritage rather than the badge?

I expect the Taycan to be a genuinely sports focused EV and that is probably why it appeals to Tesla owners who are largely derived from a socio-economic group that can afford a Porsche but, whether for green reasons, drive train or something else, opted for a Tesla often before they became mainstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Porsche used to be a sporting marque for driving enthusiasts.
I think that was certainly pre-SUV days and probably even pre 996 days, when you had to be pretty committed to put up with the awful 911 ergonomics and interior trims. I still drive an 80's 911 just to remind me how compromised they really are!

At least Porsche still make models aimed at "driving enthusiasts" but they also pander as much as any other high end brand to the wealthy badge snobs who couldn't care less about driving.
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm So “most” Taycan “orders” are from Tesla owners, it seems.
I'd say that's mainly because Tesla owners have already experienced the benefits of a powerful EV and have access to home charging etc. Not because they are liberal minded ecologists :lol:
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

It's okay to talk about sporting performance and handling, but the reality is that getting to use that is a real issue on todays crowded and poorly maintained roads. I like the "idea" of having a Porsche, I also like the "badge" of a Porsche, and if I'm honest, I like the style, handling, comfort etc. that all go in to making the car what it is - which is a Porsche. So it's definitely not just one thing which attracts me to Porsche, and I dare say I can get faster cars or better handling cars for the same money, but I bought a Porsche.

Looking at the new Taycans I think they look great, but I tried a few EVs a couple of months back and was not totally blown away with them, even though they were all faster than my SD, it would be very hard to use it on the road and none really "did it for me". So like goron59 I'd like to se a hybrid Macan or a full EV Macan because to me the style/comfort/shape/ergonomics/badge etc. are more important than it's actual outright sportiness - I mean, how fast can you go on a British road these days?
johnd

Post by johnd »

You may or may not be allergic to JLR products, but have you tried an I-Pace? It's the closest yet to a full EV Macan. Personally, I think they look good too but appreciate there's scope for alternative opinions.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly