New SD owner, a few issues?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Cheshire Cat wrote: ↑Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Macananon wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 pm Has your car got sports chrono? That's the only way you can get performance out of the SD similar to the BMW,'s you mention.

Sports mode is a little better then standard, but the pull is more torque than speedy in normal modes.

Surely you gave the car a good long test drive before you bought it?????

Ps. Acceleration past 90mph is really laboured.
And illegal in the UK :lol:
This could begin a debate that rivals the "use of apostrophe" saga but...

I think that "acceleration past 90 mphph" is legal in the UK but travelling at a speed (velocity) of 90 mph is not.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

90 miles per hour per hour?. I would't put that to the test old son. Acceleration is the rate of change of Velocity (Speed) therefore ,if stopped, you could argue that you were not speeding but merely accelerating. If I remember my Physics, 90mphph = 6 points and Β£300 fine.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ray G wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: ↑Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Macananon wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 pm Has your car got sports chrono? That's the only way you can get performance out of the SD similar to the BMW,'s you mention.

Sports mode is a little better then standard, but the pull is more torque than speedy in normal modes.

Surely you gave the car a good long test drive before you bought it?????

Ps. Acceleration past 90mph is really laboured.
And illegal in the UK :lol:
This could begin a debate that rivals the "use of apostrophe" saga but...

I think that "acceleration past 90 mphph" is legal in the UK but travelling at a speed (velocity) of 90 mph is not.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Well at that rate of acceleration, it would take a whole hour to accelerate from 0-90 mph, so that would definitely be very laboured!
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

But still illegal! :roll:
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Cheshire Cat wrote: ↑Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 pm 90 miles per hour per hour?. I would't put that to the test old son. Acceleration is the rate of change of Velocity (Speed) therefore ,if stopped, you could argue that you were not speeding but merely accelerating. If I remember my Physics, 90mphph = 6 points and Β£300 fine.
So help me out here.

I'm at the lights at zero mph and, using launch control, I floor it at max acceleration (say 90 mphph) up to a speed of 30 mph (the local limit say).

Do I get a ticket for speeding or not?
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

No. However it could be careless or dangerous.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Tom 2000 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 am No. However it could be careless or dangerous.
Far enough. I'll withdraw the launch control comment and make the acceleration 50 mphph until I get to 30 mph: A perhaps more typical scenario. My point was more about the acceleration being above 30 mphph until I got to 30 mph and was that legal or not. ;)
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

At 50mphph you are already moving at 50mph and increasing the distance moved by 50 miles every hour. Velocity is speed with a direction, speed is just a number. Acceleration is the rate of change of Velocity . Therefore you cannot accelerate at 50mph as that is a velocity and is constant
An equation such a below where 'a' = acceleration, v = final velocity, t = time elapsed and u is initial velocity,may help. Friday afternoon double maths!! I'd rather do Brexit.

v=u+at

Whatever, if you exceed 30 mph in a 30 mph limit, you are breaking the Law.
Deleted User 1874

Ray G wrote: ↑Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 am
Tom 2000 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 am No. However it could be careless or dangerous.
Far enough. I'll withdraw the launch control comment and make the acceleration 50 mphph until I get to 30 mph: A perhaps more typical scenario. My point was more about the acceleration being above 30 mphph until I got to 30 mph and was that legal or not. ;)
50 mph per hour acceleration is that of a sloth. So if you started from 0 mph and accelerated at a rate of 50 mph per hour it would take you over half an hour to reach a speed of 30 mph.
Deleted User 1874

Cheshire Cat wrote: ↑Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm At 50mphph you are already moving at 50mph and increasing the distance moved by 50 miles every hour.
No, 50 mph per hour is just a rate of change of speed (a very slow change too). You can accelerate at that rate from any arbitrary speed you like.