Goodbye and Thank zyou

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

I'll post a full review when I get a moment but I'm loving the car and here are a couple of photos.

IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!

Paul

Post by Paul »

šŸ‘
!! Sunshine?? Not today then....šŸ˜‰
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Paul wrote: ā†‘Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm šŸ‘
!! Sunshine?? Not today then....šŸ˜‰
No, back at the beginning of this month, a couple of days after I got it! :)
Last edited by SRDL on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Some initial thoughts, as promised.

Iā€™ve had the GLC for four weeks today and Iā€™m delighted with it. It helps that I drove a Mercedes for eight years previously so, although the technology is much more up to date, I am generally familiar with the systems and can find my way round the controls without needing the manual! I went for the SUV (or Estate) rather than the Coupe as Iā€™m not a big fan of 4x4 Coupes. To my eyes, they usually look ungainly apart, perhaps, from the X4 which seems better balanced.

The performance is stunning but Iā€™m still running it in so I canā€™t vouch for the 4.9 second to 0-62 time! I am surprised how well it handles and the standard air suspension on the AMG43 keeps it very level even when taking roundabouts quite swiftly. Yesterday, when I had a short opportunity to ā€œexerciseā€ it on a winding country road, it really inspired confidence and felt very secure despite the wet weather.

Despite this, the ride is very comfortable - Mrs L loves it as a passenger and she is very fussy about comfort (result!). There is an impressive amount off storage inside. Door pockets are vast compared to my E Class Coupe and, as the transmission selector is on the column, there is a big storage area in the centre console as well as another deep pocket under the central arm rest between the front seats.

Yes, there is a facelift due. I read one report in July 2018 which said ā€œa matter of weeksā€ but the general consensus now is that it will be mid/late 2019 before it hits the showrooms. If the C Class facelift is anything to go by, the changes will be mostly cosmetic with new lights and an updated interior. Mine already has LED lights all round so I can live without having a sleeker design on the new model. Internally, there may be a slightly bigger screen but it will still be ā€œstuck onā€. Actually, having lived with the ā€œstuck-onā€ screen for a few weeks now, I quite like it. Having seen the wide screen, supposedly ā€œintegratedā€ in the EClass, I thought it looked like an ugly afterthought but thatā€™s personal taste.

Rumour has it that the facelift will see uprated engines and hybrid options but Iā€™m very content with the current 367bhp

I have experienced the steering jump on very full lock in damp weather but it is only just one jump occasionally. Any other times, I can do a full 180 degree turn on full lock into a parking space without any problem. Although the GLC has a bad press about this, it affects all Mercedes 4matics and many other brands with wider tyres. I have even read about a similar issue with the Macan on this forum but at least I wonā€™t have to worry about transfer box problems on the GLC!

Fuel consumption so far has not exceeded 27mpg but it has still only done 500 miles so it will need a good few thousand more before it properly loosens up. I would hope to get 30mph on a run in due course but I didnā€™t buy it for the fuel consumption!

I have said before that a Macan S with equivalent spec would have been at least Ā£12K more and I can get pano sun roof, intelligent lighting, air suspension, Burmester and various other goodies for just around Ā£51K on the road which was a few thousand less than my budget. I accept that Porsche residuals will be better but Iā€™m planning to keep the car for a good few years so that becomes less relevant as time goes by.

I liked the Mercedes colour choices better and was able to get what I would call a ā€œclassyā€ red. I did think the red seat belts and red stitching on the seats, dashboard and steering wheel might be over the top but I think that looks good. If the weather brightens up, Iā€™ll try to take some shots of the interior and post them up for you to see.

So, overall, Iā€™m very happy with my choice. I still fondly notice Macans around but never feel any sadness in going for the GLC, which is a relief because I wondered whether I might regret it.
Steve
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts, car looks great in that colour too. Enjoy! :-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0