Goodbye and Thank zyou

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

I just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful information and advice I have enjoyed on this forum over the last six months since I first test drove a Macan S. It has been an interesting time learning about the highs and lows of Macan ownership, the wider Porsche brand, electric cars and all sorts of things automotive. The “Goodbye” part is because I am just about to take delivery of a brand new Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 so I won’t be buying a Macan S.

In the end the Mercedes won for three main reasons; firstly, because I am already familiar with their cars and I know my way round the operating systems, electronics etc etc. Secondly, I got a 7.6% discount on list which means I am spending something like £5k less than I would have for the Macan which I had configured. On top of this, the GLC is very well specced so an equivalent Macan S on the road would probably set me back at least £12k more than I am spending and I can now get air suspension, Burmester sound, Panoramic sun roof, Intelligent LED lighting etc within my budget. And lastly, whilst I liked driving the Macan S, I really enjoyed the GLC test drive (and I won’t mention the 0-62 time of 4.9 seconds!)

In the end, it was quite a close call but the three reasons I have outlined gave me a compelling reason to stay with Mercedes.

Enjoy your motoring guys and I will still look fondly on any Macans I see out and about on the roads. One interesting outcome from the last six months is that Mrs L can now spot a Macan from some distance and regularly points them out to me. To be totally accurate, sometimes they are Cayennes but, hey, it’s still progress for a lady who, until now, has shown very little interest in cars!
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!

VanB

Post by VanB »

Good luck with the GLC and feel free to pop back and say hi from time to time
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Indeed, good luck with the GLC. Hope it works out for you.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

The GLC was one of my preferred choices since I've been looking for an interim vehicle but I decided against it as a facelift is due soon and I wanted to hear more about the changes to be made.

The GLC is a lovely looking vehicle and you'll find Mercedes will discount them readily. Something you won't get from Porsche!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Thanks guys - yes Bazza06 I got 7.6% discount by going via CarWow
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Goodbye. I suppose you get used to a brand / dealer........

To be honest..... a lot of the Macans I spot are also Cayennes :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

SRDL, are you taking GLC Coupe or Van?

My wife had a GLC 220d, she took a van which was more practical with the dogs and shopping, but I much prefer a Coupe.
The car was solid, good quality finishes, I didn’t like the column shift, but one gets used to it.
AMG 43 is a great choice! Enjoy the ride.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Fed up having to wait over a year the facelift S/GTS also, would have definitely considered the GLC except personally I can’t live with the blue tacked ipad dashboard, feels so dated. If it had the E Class/A Class dash, I’d have been in one by now!
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
RAA

Post by RAA »

Yes, good luck with the Merc GLC AMG 43 ! Please let us know about your experience of ownership with the car.

Whilst I am in the queue for a new, facelifted Macan S, having to wait at least another 6 months before it arrives, I thought I'd try to get a test drive of a regular Merc GLC (though it was the AMG 43 I was interested in, like you), and booked one over the phone with my nearest Mercedes dealership last week.

When I arrived at the dealership, the salesman talked to me about the car, but when I mentioned that I was thinking of changing my car in 6 months time, he did not want to let me have a test drive because he said that there was a new, facelifted GLC coming out next year, that would be so different to the current one, that there was no point in having a test drive at this point of time ! I went home disappointed.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

davetronic wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:31 am Fed up having to wait over a year the facelift S/GTS also, would have definitely considered the GLC except personally I can’t live with the blue tacked ipad dashboard, feels so dated. If it had the E Class/A Class dash, I’d have been in one by now!
Having had and enjoyed several Mercedes cars, my first instinct in 2017 was to buy a GLC, but the "iPad" screen really put me off it. The reported drive train crabbing issues were also off putting.

Really glad that I opted for the Macan. At the time the predicted residual value more than compensated for the Mercedes discount off a new GLC too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver