Insurance

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Since selling my SD last April I have been renting a car whilst deciding what to buy as an interim vehicle. My long term choice is the Macan GTS but this seems a fair way off being announced.

In May I ordered the Audi S5 Sportback. It was due for delivery in September but never arrived and Audi later said they had no idea as to when it would even be built. To this day you cannot spec / order one.

I then looked to the Mercedes-AMG C43. I was on the verge of ordering but the dealer got my order wrong 5 times after which I just postponed my search until the new year.

However, to my subject heading, throughout this series of events I have been obtaining insurance quotes both on comparison sites and from my preferred insurer - NFU.

When I insured the SD via NFU they were no more expensive than the cheapest quote I was given on CompareTheMarket and required no compulsory excess.

When I obtained a quote for the C43 they were £170 more expensive than the cheapest quote on CompareTheMarket and the compulsory excess was £1600.

This is a huge shift in cost and I wondered if others here have experienced similar?
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

Paul

Post by Paul »

I’m with NFU and yes, the theft excess is £1600 (but not the “ ordinary” xs)

They were the cheapest for me (barring a couple I’d never heard of) in 09/16 and crept up in ‘17 but I stayed loyal due to their 2 yr GAP inclusion.

Crept up again this September just gone but they offer a “ bonus” which brought the premium back to acceptable (just)

Next year I imagine I shall be back on the comparaison merry go round!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Has that theft excess been a recent thing? I'm sure I never had that when I insured the SD in 2016/17.

Agree with you ref GAP. It's a very good feature of their insurance policy.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
VanB

Post by VanB »

Theft excess has been that for as long as I've been with NFU (3 years now I think). I'll be interested to see what my renewal is in December as I currently pay £600 per year for my wife's Q5 and my 911 combined which is an absolute bargain
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Out of interest I've just checked the policy I had with them.

There is no mention of a £1600 excess.

On the policy I had there was a voluntary £200 excess and a compulsory £100 performance car excess. This was for accidental damage.

In the event of theft there was a £350 compulsory excess.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
VanB

Post by VanB »

Sounds like you don't have the £1,600 theft excess as, if not mentioned on your policy documents, I can't see how they could apply it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Hi Barry.

Sorry to hear of your car problems. 2 nice car options you picked too.

The theft Xs of £1600 has been there for a few years. It does not apply to the S Macan. Only GTS which is why you would not have had it on yours.
Its Not based on value but based on the specific model and the Audi and Merc and both the same which would have a £1600 Xs.

The £1600 Xs is for theft but if it’s in a garage and stolen from a garage then the Xs is £0.
(Please check this yourself in case it’s not for all)

I purchased a 5 year gap policy (costing around £350 ish). Fully transferable to another car etc or part refunded of car is sold so I can sleep at night.

I would expect Insurance quotes to have gone up since last year (like most things) but not significantly.

Remember gap insurance is great but make sure you have a good insurance policy to start with as if a claim is made the two companies have to agree and come to relevant amount to pay out. I personally prefer to pay a little more and get a decent policy / company all within reasonable costs of course.
GTS 😀
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Got a quote from the NFU comparable to Porsche insurance. Rep said they quote low for Macans because they are considered a "farm" vehicle or something like that 😂😂
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Hi Kas, hope you're well.

Agree with your comments about insurers. I chose NFU due to their impeccable rating and service.

I was surprised that they were so competitive at the time I had the SD but not so when looking at the Audi and Merc.

Despite that I would have taken up with them again had my orders progressed!!

I'm happy to wait now and see whether the new year brings any info on the GTS.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Ray G wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:58 pm Got a quote from the NFU comparable to Porsche insurance. Rep said they quote low for Macans because they are considered a "farm" vehicle or something like that 😂😂
I did find it amusing that my policy contained details of how many shotgun cartridges I was permitted to carry.

Maybe it was something to do with my occupation - Bank Robber :D
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver