Options After Running In

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chris s

Post by Chris s »

Not at all, there is a great post re:running in porsche engines on this site. Well worth the read. I'm sticking to the 3000 miles as per the manual.....

Its 3000k not miles !! Wink

Everything else in the manual is open to interpretation!!

adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

Every component in a car needs time to "bed in" cylinders and pistons whilst machined to high tolerance are not perfectly matched. If you really want to know what's going on take a look at the oil from the first oil change and stick a magnet in then look at all the very fine metal particles. It's not just the engine, brakes tyres, these need to bed in especially brakes but only for a few hundred miles.

As for the concept that Porsche engines are run in? Well they are run and a sample of cars are given longer drives after production but no way does that count as run in.

The manual states 3000km which is about 1875 miles and then after that gradually increasing engine revs is a good idea.

Do all this and you get the best oil consumption and longevity, on the other hand if you don't intend to keep the car. For long "rag it" from day one and let the next owner have the problems
SPL

Post by SPL »

Look at this post from Ger re running in (Posted 30 Jun 14 4:24pm)

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/macan-first-thoughts_topic630_page1.html

Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Well I took the Macan, and averaged 27.4 mpg on the way down here which included a few booting moments I think that's quite acceptable. Tomorrow we'll see some of the welsh countryside although it might be a bit of a blur if I get to carried away.

A further update tomorrow.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
RJMooney

Post by RJMooney »

I wonder how many owners intend to keep their cars more than two or three years. I expect many change them often. Although the newness makes it seem precious, some owners will think, 'I don't mind mistreating it as the benefit from care in the early years won't be realised by me'.
I intend to keep mine for 8+ years.
Macan Diesel S; Boxster S; 356 C
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I wonder how many owners intend to keep their cars more than two or three years.  I expect many change them often.  Although the newness makes it seem precious, some owners will think, 'I don't mind mistreating it as the benefit from care in the early years won't be realised by me'.

That's the dilemma. Before the Boxster I've never kept a car for more that 2 years, I've had the Boxster for nearly 5. Every time I think about changing I end up coming back to a Boxster so there's nowhere to go. I get the feeling the same will happen with the Macan.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I wonder how many owners intend to keep their cars more than two or three years.  I expect many change them often.  Although the newness makes it seem precious, some owners will think, 'I don't mind mistreating it as the benefit from care in the early years won't be realised by me'.

That's the dilemma. Before the Boxster I've never kept a car for more that 2 years, I've had the Boxster for nearly 5. Every time I think about changing I end up coming back to a Boxster so there's nowhere to go. I get the feeling the same will happen with the Macan.

I also normally swap every 2 years at a max. I do miss the Boxster and Cayman but am enjoying the versatility of the Macan. Roll on next Spring when my next Macan is due.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.