Anyone got an Auxilliary Heater in their car?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
skipper

Post by skipper »

I am still getting to know my new SD and was searching for something in the Driver's Handbook when I came across a reference to the Auxilliary Heater. I have searched my car and although there is a reference to it in the PCM Car settings menu, there is no sub-menu to actually control anything. An Audi I used to own had an AH but it did its own thing when the temperature got low and was only there to speed up engine warming. The description in my Handbook talks of it heating the car interior and defrosting the windscreen when the engine is off. Anyone got any ideas?
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

It works once the engine is warm.

Then with the engine switched off, press the passenger side 'Auto' heater button (top left on bank of switches by gear kever).

:idea: Handy if waiting sat in the car in cold weather and you do not want to keep the engine running.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

There is a feature (the large button on the left hand side of the heater buttons) which will pump residual heat into the car once the engine is turned off (when waiting to pick up various offspring from town locations late at night for example๐Ÿ˜ณ)

I donโ€™t think this can be called an auxiliary heater - what you describe seens more likely to be an option which I canโ€™t recall being available when I ordered mine?

Edit - just beat me to it!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think the auxiliary heater is an option in colder countries like Sweden. It plugs in to warm the engine up from -20 degrees or thereabouts. Not an option in the UK market
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^ Correct. The handbook refers to lots of options that won't be fitted to your car, sadly.

But congratulations on finding and reading the driver's handbook! We're in a minority! :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
happy days

Post by happy days »

Many years ago I worked in VW garage. We used to get customers in who had VW Sharans complaining of noise and smoke coming from under the floor - this was the auxiliary heater which kicked in in cold weather to heat up the large volume of air in the cabin. Perfectly normal - many of the sales men didn't even know they existed! I have a friend who got rid of her Renault Espace because it was always cold inside - she said it took most of the day to warm up.
Macan S D
718 S
skipper

Post by skipper »

Ian.g wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 pm I think the auxiliary heater is an option in colder countries like Sweden. It plugs in to warm the engine up from -20 degrees or thereabouts. Not an option in the UK market
Thanks, that explains it then. I will put all the carpets back and look for further!๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Nuclear Nick wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am ^^ Correct. The handbook refers to lots of options that won't be fitted to your car, sadly.

But congratulations on finding and reading the driver's handbook! We're in a minority! :lol:
I know. The section on "Warnings and Information Messages" is a real page turner, I gather. Can't wait to get to it! ๐Ÿค“
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

If for the engine it could be just for the diesel, they're hard to start when it's cold.

I've a friend who did a harvesting season in Canada; the instruction was to on no account stop any combine.

If they did it would have to stay where it stopped until it became warm enough to start next April.

Usually they had a pair of 3kW heater elements in the block and transmission housing.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

The heating in my SD is pants. Not a patch on my wife's Polo or any Ford product. It's been 'reset' whatever that means , bit is still just warm. Dreading the really cold weather.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.