Macan in the snow/ ice

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I have a set of 19" winters on mine now and the difference between them and the 21" summers is quite marked in this wet, colder weather. Expensive but worth it I think.
My previous daily was a Pug 2008 which has winters fitted as standard and it flew through the 'beast' last year.
A previous Pug 107 on winter would literally go anywhere there was ground clearance for it................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:07 am 20” wheels with Michelin summer tyres on my Turbo.

In the Winter they are OK, but only OK, driving style needs to be adapted to suit the conditions.

All Seasons are to much of a compromise imho, their vastly reduced braking performance in the dry should really set alarm bells ringing to snyone thinking of fitting them.

A second set of wheels with Winter tyres is the way to go if you are in areas of the country with extreme weather or you regularly drive into the hills
Yeah, given the range of temperatures we now typically see in the UK (like 30+ degC in the summer and close to or below freezing in the winter) it makes sense to fit winter and summer tyres accordingly. All-seasons are okay for all but the very worst winter conditions, but obviously a compromise for much of the time. Wide, low profile summer tyres simply don't cut it for me in winter. They might get by on most days with due caution, but there were definitely a few days last winter where they would have potentially left me stranded. Winter tyres, even on a 2 wheel drive car, are vastly superior to summer tyres on any car. Last winter we drove past a stranded Range Rover on blingy ultra-low profile summer tyres trying to get out of a snowy hotel driveway (Whittlebury Hall Hotel for those who are familiar with Silverstone). It was marginal even on winter tyres without snow-chains and on the way home that particular night we passed quite a few stranded cars.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Ahhh, the Macan, the car for all seasons (20" Summer tyres - but I would not highly recommend it :lol: but it did feel very stable)

IMG_0434.JPG

991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Dandock wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 am I’ve recently heard from Macaneers in New England There was substantial snow there last week and they’re more than content with their All Seasons.

We got about 6" of snow in MA (Massachusetts, specifically Boston Metro West) last TH evening.
I had to go out and pick up the missus at an airport shuttle bus depot and most of the streets/roads
had not been plowed. This was my first snow outing with my Macan shod with winter tires - Michelin
Latitude Alpins - and they were outstanding in the snow.

I ran the Michelin Latitude HP 'all season' (read: no season) tires last winter and they were
just OK in the snow - a bit squirrelly. On all of my previous vehicles (rear wheel drive BMWs) ,
I'd run winter tires in the snow-prone months, and they were very good in the snow.

The Macan felt incredibly sure-footed. AWD + winter tires = winning combo!
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

We switch to 20” Pirelli scorpion winter tyres from November through to March/April. If it snows where we live in the southeast, because of the hills, we wouldnt be able to get out of our road without them but we also drive down to the Alps at least once in this period and they make a massive difference. If you are keeping a car for 2/3 years the cost is negligible as you are preserving the summer tyres and the advantage in cold weather is huge.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
cheekyMacan

Post by cheekyMacan »

Yep sure looks like the winter tyres are the ace in the pack regardless of what vehicle you have.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PKSGFNH9
Loving my 2L Turbo Macan with Sports Chrono, 18-way Seats, Wonderful Display Screen, 20" Turbo Alloys, PASM, PS+, Sports Exhaust, Pano-Roof, LED Headlights. Ignore the haters, this is a SUPERB car :D :D :D
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

have a look at this vid...if there's ever a question of what you want to be on in the colder temps...

of course, if you're fortunate enough to have multiple cars and can keep the prokers off the road, then fine...but for all else, I'd say go on the winters in winter...

Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

As we're now into the "Winter Tyre" season, this article in Autocar makes interesting reading.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/advice/winter-tyres
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Thanks, On-Track. A good read containing pretty sensible advice.

Am glad I've opted to fit winter tyres, a first for me. On a 170+ mile trip at about 1 degree centigrade last weekend, my winter tyres certainly gave a reassuring feel of security, grip and solid road holding.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I’ve fitted Michelin Alpin winters to my Quad and it has transformed the car in these cold conditions. 510hp through the year wheels on almost semi-slick Pirelli p-zero corsa tyres was not for the faint hearted!

Much of the debate seems to be focused on snow and ice, but the cold and wet is more likely and that is where these tyres shine too.

That said, last year I had all season tyres on my Macan through winter and it coped very well. I also never experienced an occasion where they felt compromised in the summer either. Maybe I just drive too slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.