Macan thoughts one month in...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:39 pm
Re consumption, I wonder if there are are figures confirming how much (little) fuel is actually saved?
From one of my fave youtubers on stop/start systems, idling fuel usage, etc.

If you're impatient and feel like slagging it off before watching it... at around 4'15 he covers auto start systems and then goes on to bigger engines.
So no surprises there then i.e. the stop start system is quite effective in saving up to 8% fuel consumption in city traffic. But obviously totally ineffective when people disable it as appears to be the default among drivers here. I must admit, I do find stop/start systems very irritating myself and so I can see why.

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I also find it irritating. More irritating, however, is the total loss of power assistance that accompanies the stop! It's really not helpful at intersections when you need to get going quite quickly to cut someone off and show them 4 black tailpipes! Sorry...joke! Don't slap me! :lol:

But seriously, I would have thought that cylinder deactivation would have presented itself as a more reasonable alternative here. Pootling around in town on 4 or even 3 cylinders is surely doable. Any tecchies out there to explain that one?!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I'm weird because I like the stop/start system actually. If you're careful, you can get the engine to stay on, even with the feature active. You just have to apply some finesse to the brake pedal. There's some pleasure to be had from a smooth driving style, even at parking speed.

And when I really don't want it enabled, I use sport (or plus) mode. As a result, I think I've probably pushed the disable stop/start button maybe a half dozen times in the 3 years I've had it.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col M

Post by Col M »

I don't directly disable Start/Stop but will switch into Sports when about to enter a junction/roundabout which isn't controlled by lights...will do the whole of Milton Keynes in Sports!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

The presenter is right about the fuel consumption. However, what he didn’t mention is that 95% of the wear and tear of an engine is due to start \ stop of the engine when cold. So if you intend to keep and drive your Macan well beyond 100’000 km you should avoid stop \ start, when cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Col M

Post by Col M »

Pivot wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:05 pm The presenter is right about the fuel consumption. However, what he didn’t mention is that 95% of the wear and tear of an engine is due to start \ stop of the engine when cold. So if you intend to keep and drive your Macan well beyond 100’000 km you should avoid stop \ start, when cold.

The Auto Start/Stop doesn't activate "until engine, transmission and air conditioning(!) are at operating temperature" per manual.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

When I drove a demo, it was activated as soon as the engine was lukewarm (the temp gauge hardy moved) and the battery was charged.

Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:34 am
derekm wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm
For the Ops benefit, for years I have been whinging (cue for other to confirm) that the SD is a great engine but badly tuned, it is the same engine as was used in the Audi SQ5 where it produced 330 bhp, Porsche put it in a Macan and detuned it to only 256 bhp hence imho the SD badly needed at least another 60 bhp. The only reason the SD existed was to satisfy fuel consumption targets and to be able to market it in countries where diesels are or rather were preferred like was the case in France.
I'd wholeheartedly agree with that.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is where Porsche designers suck.

They include LEDs and design the PDLS+ system in conjunction with the SatNav so that the lights come on and point sideways at junctions yet the Stop/Start works at the very junction precisely when you do not want it to.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm This is where Porsche designers suck.

They include LEDs and design the PDLS+ system in conjunction with the SatNav so that the lights come on and point sideways at junctions yet the Stop/Start works at the very junction precisely when you do not want it to.
?? Well, technically the chances are that you’ll be stopped, so stop/start (as it’s designed) could be useful😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465