Service Costs

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JJay

Post by JJay »

Hi,

I know that there area few threads on this issue and apologise for starting another but after receiving the "service in 22 days or 10,500 miles" message at the weekend as a prompt for my first minor service since buying the GTS in Dec 2016 I'm a bit confused and angry...more angry.

Firstly, I accept that while I've only done 9,500 miles this is a performance car and should be serviced after 2 years. Secondly, whatever the cost of this service it's across two years so the pa position must be regarded as an average or so the PEC told me.

However...after checking the manual, Porsche website, calling a number of PEC's and receiving the exact schedule of work to be undertaken by email from two PEC's this is essentially an oil and filter change plus a visual inspection of the mechanicals. Helpfully on the main Porsche site and all the PEC's they have a menu of fixed servicing prices which for the Macan minor service is £430...oops from £430. The operative word being "from."

I have been quoted £657 from Reading with a recommended additional £160 to change the brake fluid. I Remembered a previous post on the subject and asked if I could supply my own oil. They said yes, which I can buy (exact same oil) from Halfords for £67 yet they would charge £158. So if I rejected the brake fluid change and supply my own oil I can have the service and remain compliant with the warranty for £566. The employee I spoke to was very polite and helpful but while accepting the price was steep could only offer the justification that looked at across 2 years it's good value rather than substantiate the actual value for money represented by the work to be undertaken.

Imagine my surprise when I called Porsche Hatfield who quoted £987.68, including a mandatory (otherwise I will invalidate my warranty) brake fluid change and I cannot supply my own oil.

I understand that I have paid nearly £70k for a luxury performance car and will happily pay necessary costs to maintain it correctly. However this is a minor service for a vehicle that has done less than £10k miles in two years and from the manufacturers official docs and dealer spec is only an oil and filter change + visual inspection. When challenged Hatfield replied that's what the computer says. Reading conceded that it's very expensive but tried to mitigate by expressing it's a sum to be viewed across two years.

Excuse my european but WTF?! As I've said I'll pay for commensurate value but don't want to be ripped off. The published Porsche fixed service costs quote from £430 so why is a GTS 225% more expensive? It's still a basic oil service and visual inspection. The V6 might be 50% bigger than the 4 cyl but the charge cannot be justified in terms of oil volume or pipes, transmission or wheels to check! Mmm...also presumably Halfords make a profit on their oils rather than give them away so why do Porsche charge an additional material cost of £100+ for supplying the lubricant. Is it discharged from a silver chalice, virgins slipper...?

I'd like someone from Porsche or one of the PEC's named to comment on this shocking state of affairs.

VanB

Post by VanB »

At least you didn't also get asked for the totally unnecessary £200 aircon service too!

Whilst everything Porsche is toppish in terms of expense it is an absolute bargain compared to other marques of similar quality and performance. However, I would certainly suggest shopping around different OPCs to see who is willing to honour the fixed price service.

FWIW brake fluid is hygroscopic and deteriorates over time so is recommended to be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage. Again £195 is expensive for this and I doubt it would invalidate your warranty if you had it done at an independent as it's not part of the service schedule (yes I know that block exemption means you can have your car serviced at an independent in any case but you would get zero goodwill from Porsche in the event of a fault). As for the oil I would expect most OPCs would allow you to supply your own oil if it was approved for the vehicle but do you want to seem like a bit of a knob?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
JJay

Post by JJay »

Apologies, I realise that I do in fact mean OPC and not PEC in the numerous references in my post. Damned early Crhistmas Lucnhes!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

On the Porsche UK website you will find the Fixed Servicing costs PDFs that you can download.

For a two year service it is £430 + £95 for brake fluid change.

I had both these done two months ago and paid my OPC a total of £525 inc VAT.

This is at Kendal Porsche but prior I rang Cheshire Oaks and they quoted me the exact same price

If you pay more then you are being screwed.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

A GTS costs no more than any other model.
I paid the £430 you and Col (above) quote plus a £95 brake fluid change at Dick Lovett Bristol in late August this year. 09/2016 GTS on 19500 miles.
Pop down the M4 a bit (check out Swindon too - same group)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
JJay

Post by JJay »

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Both OPC's claim that the £430 is for the base model and a GTS is more expensive. Happy to travel so perhaps a trip down the M4 it is.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Porsche Portsmouth charged me £430 for the service. Brake fluid change was about £100. I did get a complimentary litre of oil and screen wash (or was that part of the overall price?) ;)

I was happy with their standard of service.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

JJay, sounds like Reading and Hatfield are practicing blatant profiteering!

As advised above, definitely shop around OPCs. It’s gotta be worth a spin down the motorway to save yourself the best part of £300!

Please keep us posted. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:02 pm JJay, sounds like Reading and Hatfield are practicing blatant profiteering!

As advised above, definitely shop around OPCs. It’s gotta be worth a spin down the motorway to save yourself the best part of £300!

Please keep us posted. :)
..and a spontaneous meet in Membury services....😂😁
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

...or even sunny Swindon! ☀️ 😎 ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0