Porsche Driving Centre

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Malk

Post by Malk »

Okay. Had my afternoon at Silverstone. Also managed to sort a session for the Mrs.

She had a Diesel S, I upgraded mine to the Turbo which didn't have SC just PASM and Air on 19"s

Firstly getting out the Turbo was I disappointed getting into our diesel? No. The diesel is perfect for every day driving. The 10mpg registered on the PCM was slightly frightening too!

PASM, we don't have it and quite frankly hammering around the track I could feel the difference and happy I hadn't made a mistake, no massive difference.

My wife's diesel had PASM and SC, she said she couldn't notice any difference with PASM which isn't a surprise, Sport she couldn't really see the point but noticed SC made a big difference although the car was screaming it's nuts off :)

Overall interesting to compare against a 911 which i'd previously driven on same track and certainly managed to keep up with most things bar a GT2RS that was hammering around! Other than that the new section is a lot of fun, spent reasonable amount of time there sliding around the corners, braking from 60mph as we know is incredible and overall worth an afternoon. Wife enjoyed and learnt a lot as I told her she would, a lot of which can be put into everyday situations.

I will add the PDK on the petrol in manual is miles more responsive than on the diesel that is bar under braking more or less a waste of time, it was good fun. So track car defo a Turbo prob with SC, road standard Diesel and reckon I could still keep up with most petrol Macans until any major straights!!

Hope that makes sense can't really read back easily on the phone!

Malk2014-08-22 23:38:40
Diesel S Taken delivery 12/04/14
Replaced 4/7/14
Sold back to OPC 10/10/15
Now proud owner of 3rd Macan Volcano Grey 2.0T **WHICH IS UP FOR SALE**
Ordered 1st Edition XC40 T5 :o

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHW6XE96

MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thanks for the lowdown on the driving experience Malk. I've still to do mine. Just wondered what you thought of the difference/similarities of driving 911 vs Macan Turbo?
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
forge197

Post by forge197 »

When I drove both turbo vs 911 C2S I was faster out of one corner on part of the little track in the Macan by around 10mph, but the 911 is both more nimble and more enjoyable to chuck around a track. To me they are night and day on track, driving the Macan around a track then a 911 then a Macan you know it's nigh on 2 tonne. Commendable on track but not similar. IMHO
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thanks forge197 - being new to Porsche still figuring out which model to buy as don't necessarily need the size and space of a Macan.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Malk

Post by Malk »

When I drove both turbo vs 911 C2S I was faster out of one corner on part of the little track in the Macan by around 10mph, but the 911 is both more nimble and more enjoyable to chuck around a track. To me they are night and day on track, driving the Macan around a track then a 911 then a Macan you know it's nigh on 2 tonne. Commendable on track but not similar. IMHO

I would agree with that on the track, what I was surprised about was the feel of the Macan 'under pressure' on the track - it was alot closer to the 911 than I expected but yes obviously its not as good but does an excellent job getting there........
Diesel S Taken delivery 12/04/14
Replaced 4/7/14
Sold back to OPC 10/10/15
Now proud owner of 3rd Macan Volcano Grey 2.0T **WHICH IS UP FOR SALE**
Ordered 1st Edition XC40 T5 :o

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHW6XE96