3 month report

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

Thanks for the bits of advice I have received on here. To add to the pool of experience and knowledge, etc, I thought I'd add my own two cents in what is month 3 of owning my first Porsche, a modestly engined 2.0 petrol Macan, albeit very handily specced. I'll be brief and hope it helps someone.

Sapphire blue, black partial leather ( strange description as the seats are leather), 21 inch turbo alloys, pano roof, LEDs, nice exterior trim bits, Bose, PS plus and others I can't recall.,

I'm used to far more power, my previous steed being an M3, which was an absurd car. Brilliant but I just never used it as I was chicken. The engine is very tame in comparison, obviously, but the Sport button really does liven proceedings up considerably. In fact, with the traction improvements over an M3 (huge difference), it is very nippy off the mark with the magic button pressed. Plenty quick enough for me as I search for comfort over warp speed as I mellow futher...lol. I'd have a 3.0 in a flash though...just saying.

Comfort is a delight. As is the build quality and overall sense of happiness with both ownership and drive. I really like this car a lot and it is just a very nice place to be. I like the high driving position and I like the wafting along elegance of it, it is just the right car for me. Lovely stuff. I think it is a very handsome beast too, the colour is marvellous and the overall package is put together tastefully and skillfully.

I am a bit surprised that fuel consumption is on a par with my M3 with virtually no difference at all. My M3 was amazingly frugal given the power and easily nudged low 30s in mixed driving, which always impressed me. The Macan is about the same. I think the weight and four-wheel traction account for this. I am not bothered too much about fuel but it is a factor for some. I was also amazed to find my insurance premium increase on my M3. I still can't figure that one out. I had to move insurers to get the increase under £150, which is mad.

I like the tech' a lot. I have had a few niggles with the infortainment but they are solved now and overall what you get is a very good level of tech' that is well presented and actually useful. The digital display in the lovely 3 ring binnacle is very good and looks the business. Lovely design.

I find that in general terms Porsche are well ahead of BMW in terms of build quality. The touch and feel of the dash bits, usually a good test of build quality, is way better than my M3. The car feels much more solid too and feels more of a premium product.

This is, in short, a very good car.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Good stuff. Glad you're enjoying it. Wife says our SD is the best car she has ever driven, and I quite agree. Id we were forced to have one car, I'd merge ours and buy a GTS.
Macan S D
718 S
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Good to hear you are enjoying your 2.0. When you say you get low 30s mpg, is that measured, or as indicated on the display Mine gives around 29 mpg overall, but the display mostly tries to kid me it’s 10% or so better than that! I’ve never had less than 26 or more than 31 from a measured tankful (over 24,000 miles).
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

I just re-set when I visit the petrol station and it says 31ish. How accurate it is I don't know, but it seems on a par or slightly more thirsty than my M3, which is a surprise.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great review, thanks.

I agree with BMW comments. The Porsche interior feels a bit more special.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are enjoying your Macan.

The MFD display tend to read c3-4mpg more than actuals, it certainly was the case with my SD and is the case with my current Turbo, the 2.0 does have a two tonne car to haul around so expecting good fuel economy will not be realised,
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks MJ, great review, especially for those of us that are changing religion from BMW to Porsche [emoji12][emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
dragoshsd

Post by dragoshsd »

Felt the same change in build quality when switching from BMW, except for the paint which was a lot more durable on my 1 series. Or maybe it's just Carmine Red that attracts more marks/scratches.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I find Porsche paint quite soft compared with others, however the upside is that blemishes are easier to blend out....
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'