Wheels

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nodgel

Post by Nodgel »

Do I go for 18inch as 1 salesman says or upgrade to 21inch Spyders with air suspension on the New Macan

Col M

Post by Col M »

Entirely up to you. You have to decide which design turns you on. At 20 or 21 you may well want additional flexibility in the ride control. Whether you need air or just adaptive PASM will need a test drive or two. Personally I wouldn't look to air suspension unless you want the additional ride height control, or leveling when towing facilities.

Ps. I see the Spyders are in 21" now rather than 20"
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Nodgel

Post by Nodgel »

Saw the 21 inch on most of l the showroom models yesterday and they definitely set the car off and the wife lloved then so we no what way this one is going
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Totally depends upon what you want.

Looks, 21” win but affect the ride quality very badly unless PASM or Air is specified.

Performance, 21” with PASM or Air give the best handling.

Absolutely the best quality of ride in any of the 12 Macans or so that I driven was one on 18” wheels with Air suspension, the handling was compromised but not by that much when driving quickly through the corners.

Twice I have gone for 20” wheels which on the poor quality, potholed roads in the UK are as large as I would go.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nodgel

Post by Nodgel »

Many thanks for your reply it has helped immensely
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, I’d concur with Col and goron on the other thread. I went 20” and air, a combination of looks performance and comfort. I’d tried 21” with Air, and while the ride was still comfortable, I found that there was a fair bit of ‘bump/thump’ over poor surfaces. There’s also the ever present greater risk of damage with 21’s.

Some people have found air suspension a bit ‘floaty’ at times, me too, so I mine is nearly always set on Sport to offset this.

As others have said, it depends what your priorities are, and pleasing the nearest and dearest may be one of them!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Andy_rs600

Post by Andy_rs600 »

I'd agree with the above really. I tested:

20" with air - very good overall
a 21" with steel and PASM - good handling on flat surfaces, but seriously compromised handling and comfort on anything bumpy, and on bad country lanes was really really horrible

and then ordered 18" with air suspension. Compared to the 20" wheels the 18" ones I've got do loose you a bit of limit grip and turn in precision, but for the roads where live it's made up for by being able to hit potholes at 70 and not worry about the tyres and rims.

If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere I'd go 19" or 20" on PASM with or without air depending on your likelihood of doing any of: off road, towing, heavy loads, or really really bad road surfaces.
2018 SD, Saphire, Air, PTV, LED PDSL+,
East Midlands Immediate Care Scheme http://emics.org.uk/
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Disagree. Mine is 21 on steel and the ride/handling is excellent in my opinion. Quiet, well controlled etc. Mind you I have come out of a 981 S Cayman (on 20s)
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I've got 19" and PASM, it's very good all round and I have never felt I should have gone for 18" instead. In my opinion the car would be ok with 20" also, but I would not go for the 21" as it's just too much rubber getting taken from the sidewall from a comfort point of view for me. If you "need" 21" for handling then your probably either kidding yourself or way into the illegal or dangerous zone on most roads. If it's just for looks and you are happy with the ride quality, then that is different, and you will probably find them acceptable.

James
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

bennachie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:36 pm Disagree. Mine is 21 on steel and the ride/handling is excellent in my opinion. Quiet, well controlled etc. Mind you I have come out of a 981 S Cayman (on 20s)
+1. My car is on 21” Sports classics and standard steel (non pasm) suspension. Previous 2 Macans were on 20” Spyders and no difference in ride/handling. Like you also had a 981 on 20” Carrera alloys (non pasm) and before that 987.2 Cayman on 19” (largest wheel at the time ) and cannot fault the ride and handling on the Macan .
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.