air suspension lowering and seat choice

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Hi Folks,

I am seriously thinking of ordering a facelift Macan S in the new year. My wife is tiny (5'0") and has mobility issues - so, too-high a seat height is a problem (my son in law's X5 a no-go) . But we hired a Q5 recently and she loved it, access was perfect for her.

At the weekend we called into a Porsche dealer and she Just managed to get into a Macan with steel springs and 18way seats. She found the side bolster on the 18ways did not help at all and it was different to a Q5 in that the sills are deeper too - so it's more to reach over, which also did not help. It was a very close run thing - she struggled. The access was clearly a disappointment for her - She says she could manage - but I think she had Porsche badges for eyes - so objectively - IMHO borderline! :(

So, can anyone advise roughly by how much air suspension drops the overall body height over steel? - And any opinion, on whether 8/14 way would make a noticeable difference compared to 18 ways?

We will go back and try an air-suspension and 8 or 14 way combo when we get chance - we couldn't this time as we had limited time - and there was none in the showroom - we were just passing and called in on the off-chance.

any guidance appreciated - thanks

cheers

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

You get 15mm my friend! I have the 18 ways so can't comment on anything else.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

The 15mm lowered height is beneficial but hardly noticeable, you need to try a version with 14 way comfort seats as the height of the bolsters on the 18 way sports seats are the biggest hurdle to ease of entry and exit.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

many thanks chaps - very helpful - 15mm may not seem a lot - but that plus the bolsters could make all the difference.

definitely worth a looksee - thanks again!
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Might also be worth asking for a demonstration of ‘comfort entry’’ if your wife is likely to be driving the car.
Briefly - (only) the drivers seat slides back, and steering wheel moves up, when drivers door is opened. Then returns to the previously memorised positions.

Also ask about the memory seat settings/option. If, for example, your wife wanted/needed to lower the passenger seat to the lowest level each time, to assist access, pressing one button will return the seat to her memorised ‘travelling’ settings.
( in fact, as you get two memory settings per seat, you could set one memory slot as ‘normal travelling’, and the other as ‘access’ - lowest seat setting and slid back, even tllted back backrest).

You get both options with the (higher seat bolster) 18 way sports seats - not sure what comes with the other seat options, as I’ve had 18ways on both my Macans.
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
VanB

Post by VanB »

14 way comfort seats have much smaller bolsters and that coupled with the reduced ride height should make the car much more accessible for your wife so definitely worth trying out.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Thanks again guys - all good points - Wifey won't be driving

but she could (just) get in with 18way/steel - so I think the 14way (for memory) should make it easy - then air-susp if we need

will deffo have a looksee - dont fancy an SQ5 - the GLC works well (we had one for a week recently) - but its a tad boring - GLE too tall

A7 and eclass estate are also candidates - I dont really need SUV - just wheelchair carrying (5 doors) and 4 wheel drive (our access is 1:3)

cheers