Is the Sport/Chrono Option a Waste of Money? Discuss

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

SC gives you no more power, no more torque and nothing really you can’t already get using manual / paddles.
What it will do for you, in auto, is make everything feel sharper, gears are held longer, changed down earlier. Pedal travel is shortened giving the impression of a quicker response to inputs.
As Goron points out, the launch control, telemetry and stopwatch are toys you may use once.
There is also the residual argument and the perception of what a future purchaser might expect the car to have.
I specced it on my GTS for a combination of all of the above.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I have it,don't use it but like the clock 😊 And thinking of future resale? If Porsche offered clock rather than compass ⚓️ I guess they would sell a lot less SC.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Goron’s response is probably exactly what those of us who have the Sports Crono pack think about the system and how we use it.

Launch Control, never used it with my Turbo, after using it in Porsches of all kind at the PEC it is far to brutal to use in my own £70+ car, don’t mind driving to extremes at the PEC but on country roads, no way.

As it is I very rarely use SC but do prefer the dash clock being their.

Do remember it is all well and good thrashing a Macan around the PEC but try to drive like that on country roads and you can very easily arrive at the scene of the accident. A Macan may very well handle better than other SUVs but a sports car or sports saloon it is not so use its performance with care.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

MikeM wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am I have it,don't use it but like the clock 😊 And thinking of future resale? If Porsche offered clock rather than compass ⚓️ I guess they would sell a lot less SC.
A digital clock comes with the compass.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

The Sport Chrono package in the facelifted Macan is improved by having an "Individual" mode on the steering wheel dial, rather than buttons on the central console.
So you can programme a mixture of your preferred settings and then just set the dial to "I" before you set off instead of pressing various buttons for chassis mode, etc.
Last edited by Semerka on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

digital clock with the compass? that is useful news!

according to the confuserator pictures the digi-readout is elevation and direction - no mention of a clock that i can find.

Is there a switch to change that to a clock?

I was borderline on choosing the compass - seems like a gimmick - nice looking one - but of no practical value

I like the idea of the app to show route etc - a clock option would swing it

cheers
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Had it on my 981 and it encompassed active gearbox mounts which really enhanced the handling in hooligan mode, so well worthwhile.

My SD was a showroom vehicle and had it fitted, but in 14 months and 9k miles, I have engaged Sp+ only twice - not much use in the diesel imvho?

I like the 'carbuncle' (all 4 Porsches have had them), but a large analogue clock would be nicer than a stopwatch with a tiny 'watch' and LED clock on show. I was sat at some lights t'other day and it dawned on me that I had 4 methods of showing the time simultaneously going on (6 if I included my watch and iPhone)!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Only had SC on a 997.2 C4S and found it pretty useless for road use. If I wanted to thrash the car I would always drive it in manual anyway and the normal "Sport" mode was fine for throttle mapping and stability control. "Sport+" just gave pointlessly harsh gear shifts (which I remember Chris Harris complained about at the time) and a bit less conservative stability control. So I don't see much point of SC in an SUV unless you are contemplating track days or really don't enjoy manual shifting when seriously thrashing it! I guess it's one of those things you really have to try for yourself before deciding either way.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Frankly, it's a useless piece of kit but if you're going to argue over £800 in a £70k car, go buy something else.

I love it anyway, have used it, and love knowing that it appeals to the inner hoon in me. It hardens the car up and elicits complaints from the other half who is sitting in the passenger seat. All good things.

If we're going to have a chat about useless bits and pieces, turn your attention to the £2k pano roof option in "sunny" UK. Can't get enough of people trying to justify their wastage on that! :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am If we're going to have a chat about useless bits and pieces, turn your attention to the £2k pano roof option in "sunny" UK. Can't get enough of people trying to justify their wastage on that! :lol:
I presume you didn't spend last summer in the UK then, or you live in NI? :D