Is the Sport/Chrono Option a Waste of Money? Discuss

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I was looking through the configurator for the facelift Macan S and, not for the first time wondered whether anyone specifying Sports/Chrono actually uses it after checking whether it works. Under normal traffic conditions in the UK I can't see that 0.2s difference in the 0-62 time is much use. Also would the faster gearchange create an overtaking opportunity that wasn't available with the standard transmission?

As I've never driven a Macan with this option I don't know the answer to my question and would welcome feedback from current owners.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It’s only useful to satisfy the inner hooligan. How important that is depends on you.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Have it on my Turbo. Must-have option according to sales guy. Used it twice. OK on a 911 on a closed circuit. Not so usefull on a 2 tonne SUV on normal roads. I personally wouldn’t have it again. If you want to rev the engine higher than it does in Sport mode, just work it manually. And you can put pasm in hardest setting without Sports Plus too. Sports Plus also shuts PSM almost off, which I wouldn’t want in a 2 tonne car anyway.
Last edited by Orangebulldog on Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Tom 2000 wrote:It’s only useful to satisfy the inner hooligan. How important that is depends on you.
Spot on.. I would spec it just for that. In real world overtaking, it would not matter.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Macan Turbo PP - Collected June 2018
LED PDLS, Pano, Air Susp, ACC, Entry & Drive, 21" Turbo 2 wheels, LDW, Heated front & rear seats, Turbo Interior Packagae, PSE
Panamera 4S (970.2) - Sold May 2018
911 C4S (991.1) - Sold May 2017
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I've got SC but never found the opportunity to use it regularly. Would not bother again.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

For me, it's being able to get some control back from the PDK. I bought a Porsche, not because of the badge or the 0-62 times, but because of how the car drives and how it feels to drive it. Sports Plus mode gives you more immediate control of gear and throttle input. From the 2016 year it also gives you a PSM sport mode which makes driving in slippery conditions much more fun :).

I was so disappointed with PDK and the drive train in general on my first Macan that I had Sports Chrono retrofitted, and it transformed the car.
First box I ticked on the second Macan.

There are many things that come with SC...
  • the stopwatch? I hardly every use it.
  • the Sport Plus drive train mode? I use it every time I use manual, which is on almost all trips. Indeed without Sports Plus mode, I don't think I'd ever bother using manual/paddles.
  • Launch Control ? I don't see the point on roads and you don't usually do launches on tracks, so it really is a bit pointless. Good for 0-62mph stats junkies I suppose.
  • Telemetry? Surprisingly, I've used this quite a lot for checking out different routes. Would't miss it if it wasn't there though.
  • PSM Sport mode? I use this way more than PSM completely off.

So don't think of Sports Chrono of a singular "it" that you might "use only twice." It's way more than that.

Waste of money? Well in the great pantheon of the Porsche options list, I'd say it's one of the bargains.
If your eyes glaze over, or your brows furrow reading the above, then yea, you can probably save a few quid and leave it alone :lol:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
goron59

Post by goron59 »

And is always the case: if you have to ask on an Internet forum, then you probably don't need it.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Certainly use it on fun roads, a fast twisty B road in Wales, for example. And it would have been awesome on the Route des Grandes Alpes recently but for some reason we chose to take the 911 instead!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

In personally would really, really have liked an analogue clock in its place! No use where I do most of my driving for SC, or a. compass FFS.
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Nice looking clock 🕰