Can't believe no more diesel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

All this discussion re EV's and "DECADES" I'm just happy to wake up alive each day. More chance for me to be plugged in before my car is ‼️ πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Horrible, nasty, non evaporative fuel...................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
RAA

Post by RAA »

A few months ago, Bosch announced that it had developed a process that would reduce nitrous oxide emissions from diesel engines, down to about a fifth of future legal limits. This (if it's true) should prove to be the saviour of diesel cars - so why is this not being taken notice of ?

There has also been mention of development of solid state electric cars, (i.e. no heavy batteries). Surely, the ideal car for the future would therefore be a hybrid with a near-non-polluting diesel engine (with the Bosch process reducing nitrous oxide to negligible amounts), paired with an electric engine with lightweight solid state 'batteries'.
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Bosch was also the supplier of the emissions cheating software found on VW cars... 😬
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

RAA wrote: ↑Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:26 am A few months ago, Bosch announced that it had developed a process that would reduce nitrous oxide emissions from diesel engines, down to about a fifth of future legal limits. This (if it's true) should prove to be the saviour of diesel cars - so why is this not being taken notice of ?

There has also been mention of development of solid state electric cars, (i.e. no heavy batteries). Surely, the ideal car for the future would therefore be a hybrid with a near-non-polluting diesel engine (with the Bosch process reducing nitrous oxide to negligible amounts), paired with an electric engine with lightweight solid state 'batteries'.
There's still the CO2 emissions to consider, which would still be well above an equivalent EV in a lifecycle comparison. Even full EVs will desperately struggle to meet long term CO2 targets, so diesels have no chance at all.

Solid-state batteries may well become the future, but they will still be fairly heavy. Maybe at some point in future EVs may become inherently lighter than their equivalent ICE counterparts due to large improvements in battery power density, but that point is still a very long way off. That's why current EVs are generally heavier and have shorter range than ICE cars. But the gap is gradually closing in as the tech progresses.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

MikeM wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:13 pm All this discussion re EV's and "DECADES" I'm just happy to wake up alive each day. More chance for me to be plugged in before my car is ‼️ πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Solid state batteries are very heavy.........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 1874

bennachie wrote: ↑Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 pm Solid state batteries are very heavy.........
Well they are being touted as being much lighter than current Lithium-ion batteries, which among other things is a major reason why research is pushing in that direction. I know that BMW, VW, Hyundai, Samsung and Panasonic are already investing in the research in funding various start-ups. So far though it's all vapourware with no sign of any meaningful production until 2025-2030.

Stating that they are "very heavy" doesn't really mean anything to me. It's all about relative weight. An internal combustion engine is "very heavy" too. At present an EV is significantly heavier than a direct equivalent ICE (typically in the order of a few hundred kgs), but solid state batteries may close that gap or possibly even eliminate it altogether - but it's too early to make that call yet unless you have some serious inside knowledge?
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Peteski wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 am
bennachie wrote: ↑Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 pm Solid state batteries are very heavy.........
Well they are being touted as being much lighter than current Lithium-ion batteries, which among other things is a major reason why research is pushing in that direction. I know that BMW, VW, Hyundai, Samsung and Panasonic are already investing in the research in funding various start-ups. So far though it's all vapourware with no sign of any meaningful production until 2025-2030.

Stating that they are "very heavy" doesn't really mean anything to me. It's all about relative weight. An internal combustion engine is "very heavy" too. At present an EV is significantly heavier than a direct equivalent ICE (typically in the order of a few hundred kgs), but solid state batteries may close that gap or possibly even eliminate it altogether - but it's too early to make that call yet unless you have some serious inside knowledge?

Nasa are working on liquid batteries, estimated at twice the power of Lithium IOn. Probabably many years until available for cars, if ever.

IMG_4359.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Deleted User 1874

Bigboyrolo wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm
Peteski wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 am

Nasa are working on liquid batteries, estimated at twice the power of Lithium IOn. Probabably many years until available for cars, if ever.
Interesting development. Twice the energy density of Li-ion would be a huge step forward. Also interesting that it appears to eliminate the fire risk of both fossil fuels and Li-ion batteries. I wonder what the projected costs are at present? I didn't see anything on that in the article.