Can't believe no more diesel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Must admit I am very sorry Porsche have decided to ditch their excellent 3 litre diesel engine. Surely that is a short sighted decision? Improvements are constantly being made to emissions and I see no reason why that could not continue. Like many SD owners I love my car but when the time comes to consider a change it looks like I will have to look towards Jaguar or similar.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Chilgrove wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 am Must admit I am very sorry Porsche have decided to ditch their excellent 3 litre diesel engine. Surely that is a short sighted decision? Improvements are constantly being made to emissions and I see no reason why that could not continue. Like many SD owners I love my car but when the time comes to consider a change it looks like I will have to look towards Jaguar or similar.
Looks to me like Porsche are gearing up towards a hybrid petrol and full electric future. I'm sure diesels will feature in other VAG products for many years, but not within the premium Porsche brand. Jaguar seem to be heading the same way, although I'm sure it will take them years to move away from diesels.

There's also the issue that no amount of efficiency improvements will bring their diesel engine into line with future emissions targets. Now that governments appear to be taking these things seriously (look at how the German government has played hard ball with VAG recently) the manufacturers are starting to respond.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I could be wrong....... but I think sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet. :( :(
happy days

Post by happy days »

I agree. But the SE at my OPC didn't. Time will tell.

Mind you, it's the same for lots of other manufacturers who have ditched DERVs.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

ScotMac wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:52 pm I could be wrong....... but I think sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet. :( :(
Short term I would tend to agree. It only seems like 5 mins ago since our local OPC sales manager was raving about the introduction of the Cayenne diesel and how it would make a large SUV practical and environmentally friendly as a family hauler. How times change hey!
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Porsche's decision like government anti-diesel policy is all a berger's muddle -

lot's of hype and very thin on facts - knee jerk reactions galore - sacrificing increased CO2 of marginally improved air quality in the centre of larger cities where there is a problem - and increasing CO2 everywhere else.

Production CO2 emissions for an EV approach those from the operational life of an IC car. Then there is doubt over battery longevity etc and the enviro cost of replacement - dwindling lithium resources etc etc etc.

Whats the point of forcing an industry to meet stringent standards and then effectively banning that product.

I would like to see the whole-life impact assessment for such policies - I think there would be a wholesale swing in public opinion that is presently against diesels I reckon any benefit in electric cars including hybrids would be marginal - and would not reflect the human time cost incurred waiting for a reasonable electric charge in an EV - what about all those with appartments etc? - access to power? there are more flats in city centres where EVs are most needed - where to plug them all in when everyone drives one? .

What about buses and goods vehicles that have a much longer life expectancy and much higher Air Quality impact than cars in stop-start traffic - surely economics dictate a higher focus on these than on cars?

I think in around 3-5 years the truth will out - it will turn out to have been a counter productive policy - about as bad as forcing fishermen to only take out the breeding stock of fish and put the not breeders back (usually dead).

;)
Last edited by smoothound54 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

When I bought my S D a few months ago I was given a 'buy back guarantee' so I don't know what government policy Porsche see in the coming years?!

porsche1.JPG

porsche2.JPG

Paul

Post by Paul »

Interesting and nicely reassuring, but can you really see a “ prohibition of use” on current diesel cars in the next 4 years?
They’d have to be exceptionally brave to immediately ban all existing (diesel) vehicles on the road in one fell swoop!
Prohibit future new sales from the year 20xx possibly but nothing retrospective.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Before France started going up in flames nothing would've surprised me...

I can't see it though. When we were looking I was quite prepared to take a petrol model over the diesel, thinking it would be better for future but there was basically zero available with any kind of spec unless you went up to a GTS.
Deleted User 1874

smoothound54 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 pm Porsche's decision like government anti-diesel policy is all a berger's muddle -

lot's of hype and very thin on facts - knee jerk reactions galore - sacrificing increased CO2 of marginally improved air quality in the centre of larger cities where there is a problem - and increasing CO2 everywhere else.

Production CO2 emissions for an EV approach those from the operational life of an IC car. Then there is doubt over battery longevity etc and the enviro cost of replacement - dwindling lithium resources etc etc etc.

Whats the point of forcing an industry to meet stringent standards and then effectively banning that product.

I would like to see the whole-life impact assessment for such policies - I think there would be a wholesale swing in public opinion that is presently against diesels I reckon any benefit in electric cars including hybrids would be marginal - and would not reflect the human time cost incurred waiting for a reasonable electric charge in an EV - what about all those with appartments etc? - access to power? there are more flats in city centres where EVs are most needed - where to plug them all in when everyone drives one? .

What about buses and goods vehicles that have a much longer life expectancy and much higher Air Quality impact than cars in stop-start traffic - surely economics dictate a higher focus on these than on cars?

I think in around 3-5 years the truth will out - it will turn out to have been a counter productive policy - about as bad as forcing fishermen to only take out the breeding stock of fish and put the not breeders back (usually dead).

;)
Perhaps you should read this and the similar report MIT did recently before making your mind up that EVs are a bad idea:-

https://www.transportenvironment.org/pr ... lectricity

The quick summary of the above report is that lifetime CO2 emissions are between 25% to 85% less than an equivalent diesel car, depending on which country you charge it in. There are also no proven issues with either battery longevity or long term material resources. That's why both governments and the industry are moving toward an EV based future. It doesn't mean all ICE vehicles are going to disappear overnight, but there is going to be a big take up of EVs in the coming decades and it will almost certainly be a positive change both for local pollution and CO2 levels, although I think we're doomed on the latter regardless!