Happy Blue Year

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

As I'm sat here drinking a coffee after getting the last few bits of shopping and waiting for the family to come home before we shut up shop for a few days I was reflecting on how I ended up with Macan No.3 and how it compares with the previous 2. And as I've had it nearly 3 months and covered just over 1,000 miles in it to date I thought I'd jot down my thoughts and share them with you.

Its now more than 5 years since I put my deposit down on Macan No.1 and at that point no one had actually seen one in the flesh so it was a bit of a relief when they had one on display in Harrods window after Christmas 2013 and I got the chance to go and have a quick look at it. I also ordered a Petrol S which I was told was a bit risky as everyone will want the diesel and the petrol version could hurt residuals ;)

So roll on to July 2014 and Macan 1 turned up. I was pleased as punch and absolutely loved it. We called it the Polar Bear because it was white and when you woke it up it growled at you. It was a great car and at that time a pretty rare sight on the roads, I had people stop me in carparks and petrol stations asking about it and even taking pictures of it. Never had that before. I saw it up for sale at a Scottish OPC a few months ago for 75% of it's original cost. Not bad for a 4 year old car.

Nearly 2 years into Macan 1 I was offered a brilliant deal to jump ship into a GTS. I think the fact that Petrol S versions were in short supply and high demand helped but I lost very little on it and put my order in. Unfortunately Macan 2 was delayed because of the earthquake in Japan so ended up in a 3 series for 3 months until Carmine Red GTS turned up. If the first one was good this one was even better and again I was very happy. Although I did have some minor issues, pitted tailpipes, hesitant gearbox (transfer box?) we had a great road trip to Florence in it and was seriously considering it as a keeper.

But fate once again came to visit me. Whilst sat waiting for Macan 2 in the OPC on the 27th September this year I heard the familiar start up of a 3.0L V6 and this vision in Blue drove past me to be positioned in the front window of the showroom. As if by magic my Sales guy turned up all smiling asking if I was interested in it because if I was they could do me a great deal (where have I heard that before :roll:). Long story short the car was a showroom display model that had been provisionally sold but the deal had fallen through and as it was outside the new omissions rules had to be registered before the end of September. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I quickly worked out what I was prepared to pay thinking I'd be laughed out of the place but after an hour of discussion they agreed. So The Voodoo Blue GTS was mine and I picked it up 2 days later.

Bearing in mind I had no say in the specification for Blue it came with everything Red had apart from active cruise which so far I've not missed. Blue also had a few things that Red didn't have including a heated steering wheel which is absolutely brilliant on a cold day and worth every penny.

Comparing the GTSs the key differences are:

Blue has summer tyres whereas Red (and white) had All Seasons. On balance I prefer the AS tyres but that might be that so far I've only given blue in colder wetter weather. The AS tyres felt more secure and had better grip overall. I've experienced wheel spin in Blue without even trying and it tends to oversteer more which was a bit of a surprise. Maybe I'll change my my mind in the summer but if not I'm going to swap them for AS's next Autumn.

I've also got Air Suspension in Blue whereas Red only had PASM. I've not made my mind up on this yet but I found Red in sport to be really comfortable, not overly firm but at the same time seemed to handle brilliantly for a big car. Air in sport seems a little softer and sort plus too firm although never crashy even over large potholes of which there are many around where we live. That combined with the summer tyres makes me feel a little less confident when pressing on. Again maybe we'll see what its like in warmer weather.

Blue has the full Connect Package, I didn't order this on Red or White because I didn't see the value. However now you can use Waze on CarPlay I'm glad I've got it. The other Porsche Apps seem a bit superfluous as I've had no need of them, so far. Oh, and as with Red I've not bothered with Vodafone, waste of money.

The one thing I wasn't too keen on in Blue was the fact it has the GTS Alcantara pack of which I was a bit dubious due to potential wear issues. Red had 2 tone black/beige leather which I loved. I know a lot of people hate light interiors but I really think it lifts the interior and makes it feel a lot brighter. In a weird way the Alcantara seems lighter as well so I like that. It is also very comfortable so hopefully my fears on wear will be unfounded.

Apart from the above Blue also has the storage package, rear heated seats and darkened rear windows which are nice but not essential for me.

Other than that I think I read on a previous topic that along with lots of upgrade over the last 5 years there's also been some cost cutting. I concur. Much less plastic trim under the bonnet and one less flashing led (passenger side) confirming the car is locked are 2 things I've noticed so far.

So did I make a good decision?

The original plan was to get a new GTS late next year/early 2020 as I was happy with what I had. Be in no doubt I thought Carmine Red was probably the best colour you could get a Macan in, It really suited the car and it certainly stood out in a crowd. But Voodoo was always the colour I was going to get next if I ordered another Macan and seeing this one in the showroom with the deal on offer was too good an opportunity to miss.

For me I'm happy that I changed although I'm still unsure about the tyres. But that's something that's easy to change.

Merry Christmas and lets hope next year is peaceful and prosperous for everyone.

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I wonder how much that dealer bought your first Macan for if they were selling it for 75% of your purchase price?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Hi Miopyk from a fellow early 2014 member and 3rd Macanite owner.Concur with you about the all seasons which I had with Spyders on my first two SDs. My current Macan is on 21” Pirelli’s and they were pretty skittish this morning at -2.5c.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It might be worth reading one of the threads on winter tyres. If you went for 18" wheels, it would only be a few hundred more than buying a set of 21" All Season tyres to replace the summer ones. Once you've actually driven in winter on proper winter tyres you're unlikely to go back.

You have a lovely "fleet" of cars on your drive.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Doesn't seem that long ago that Macans "didn't exist"

Great photos and lovely looking cars :D :D :D
VanB

Post by VanB »

Voodoo is a lovely, rich colour and suits the Macan very well. I agree about AS tyres and, despite detractors aplenty on here, thought they were very secure, very quiet and very comfortable.

Beautiful car - congratulations
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Different colour than the norm. Porsche, like most German cars, all seem to be Black. When i was looking for a used one (I rarely buy new cars), it was either Black or perhaps White for the spec I wanted.
The 'All season' tyre debate is interesting. I have 'Summer' tyres on 21" and they are playful in the cold. Michelin recommend a full winter tyre for the Macan especially if you are off to the Alps or Wales. Also, I read somewhere that if you have winter tyres fitted and the bloke behind doesn't, braking can result in a collision. I don't do big miles anymore, so the tyres won't be changed but the forecast is for another Beast from the East to appear in a couple of weeks time. That may change my mind.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
GW2015

Post by GW2015 »

Love Voodoo Blue.......so much nicer than Miami on a Macan.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

goron59 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:05 pm I wonder how much that dealer bought your first Macan for if they were selling it for 75% of your purchase price?
Yes, I was wondering that. Petrol S Macan's are still comparatively rare so I suspect they didn't make a fortune if the previous owner was switched on.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

First proper cold morning drive this morning and there is a definite tendency to understeer when pushing on. It's not dangerous and easily corrected so I might get used to it over time but its not what I've been used to in the previous Macans with AWs.

I'm really happy with Voodoo Blue and today was stopped in a car park by a lady who wanted to know what colour it was as apparently it was the best colour Porsche she's seen in a long time. I felt a bit embarrassed really but it was nice at the same time :-)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25