Potentially lethal Porsche

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:55 am If you have lost confidence move on, trade it in for another marque
Absolutely agree! Life is too short to waste your time on things like this. Either get the problem resolved or move on. When lying on your death bed you are not going to wish you had spent more time trying to get revenge on Porsche for a fault on your car! But if the fault is potentially so dangerous then at least post the details directly here rather than on a dubious linked page.

Redman66038

Post by Redman66038 »

<t>Thanks for your replies so far, I take a lot of points on board and appreciate that as a first time user of this forum I'm probably not going to get much empathy. If i'd read an article with a link I too would be dubious. Apologies for that!<br/>
This isn't my first Porsche, I've had four over the last 20 years. I've always loved them and would like to think that will continue.<br/>
I have researched my issue as much as possible, but haven't found anyone that had experienced the same (the OPC said the same), hence why I didn't ask around.<br/>
If the failure had caused the car to go into limp mode, then that would give me a chance when it happens again. My circumstances have changed recently, and i'm on motorways a lot more, in the early mornings and evenings. Who would be happy driving a car in the dark on a busy M25, that has previously suffered a complete engine and electrical failure and coasted to a stop?<br/>
I know that finding an intermittent fault can be like finding a needle in a haystack, but that doesn't mean that just because the OPC have road tested it the fault is no longer there. <br/>
I have spent the last two months talking to the OPC, Porsche GB and the lease company. I haven't just decided that this is the ideal way forward, but I just couldn't accept that Porsche would acknowledge that the failure happened, not fix anything, but are happy to let me have the car back. In my eyes that's irresponsible. <br/>
As mentioned by some, my course of action is against the lease company, as they are my contractual partner. A solicitor has already been working on this, but this is opening a can of worms and will lead to a huge financial bill if I want to take it to court. <br/>
As I mentioned previously, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. </t>
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sorry to hear about your issue Redman66038. Unfortunately almost any car can suffer this sort of issue, particularly with the amount of electronic equipment fitted these days. Quite a few members here have had one sort of issue or another that has cleared by powering off and back on, or leaving it overnight, and never had the problem again. Typical of computing devices I'm afraid. Having said that, some years ago I had the same issue you experienced but in a Volvo. That took some finding, and the main dealer workshop supervisor was using it as his daily drive for three weeks! In the end it turned out to be an intermittent connection between the plug in fuel relay and its connectors on the main relay board.

Hopefully you can get the lease company and OPC to sort something out.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Redman66038 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 pm <t>Thanks for your replies so far, I take a lot of points on board and appreciate that as a first time user of this forum I'm probably not going to get much empathy. If i'd read an article with a link I too would be dubious. Apologies for that!<br/>
This isn't my first Porsche, I've had four over the last 20 years. I've always loved them and would like to think that will continue.<br/>
I have researched my issue as much as possible, but haven't found anyone that had experienced the same (the OPC said the same), hence why I didn't ask around.<br/>
If the failure had caused the car to go into limp mode, then that would give me a chance when it happens again. My circumstances have changed recently, and i'm on motorways a lot more, in the early mornings and evenings. Who would be happy driving a car in the dark on a busy M25, that has previously suffered a complete engine and electrical failure and coasted to a stop?<br/>
I know that finding an intermittent fault can be like finding a needle in a haystack, but that doesn't mean that just because the OPC have road tested it the fault is no longer there. <br/>
I have spent the last two months talking to the OPC, Porsche GB and the lease company. I haven't just decided that this is the ideal way forward, but I just couldn't accept that Porsche would acknowledge that the failure happened, not fix anything, but are happy to let me have the car back. In my eyes that's irresponsible. <br/>
As mentioned by some, my course of action is against the lease company, as they are my contractual partner. A solicitor has already been working on this, but this is opening a can of worms and will lead to a huge financial bill if I want to take it to court. <br/>
As I mentioned previously, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. </t>
If it’s advice you are after then you have certainly come to the right place. The bunch of guys and gals that frequent this forum are a very knowledgeable bunch and personally speaking have helped me manage my issues and for that I will be forever grateful . My faults were intermittent and also mishandled by the OPC and by being patient and making sure I contacted the correct people and used the correct terminology my issues were never swept under the table. As it eventually panned out I decided my best course of action was to hand the car back. This wasn’t a technical hand back as I was outside of the statutory period covered by consumer law. However, my OPC and eventually, the dealer principal, structured a deal where it feels like I am handing the car back and, importantly for me, no physical money is changing hands. I am not 100% sure whether this is an option for you as you are leasing but it would help to know.

Without their help I would be on my second and final Porsche. As it happens it is about to become my third Porsche, of no doubt, many more.

Please recap your issues within this thread and detail what you have tried and where you are at. Let’s turn this into a positive thread and get you the advice you need. You never know this may just be as helpful to you as it was to me.

I will certainly try and help. I’ll look at this as my way of paying the debt on.

Over to you sir.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Redman66038

Post by Redman66038 »

Thanks for your replies so far, I take a lot of points on board and appreciate that as a first time user of this forum I'm probably not going to get much empathy. If i'd read an article with a link I too would be dubious. Apologies for that!
This isn't my first Porsche, I've had four over the last 20 years. I've always loved them and would like to think that will continue.
I have researched my issue as much as possible, but haven't found anyone that had experienced the same (the OPC said the same), hence why I didn't ask around.
My circumstances have changed recently, and i'm on motorways a lot more, in the early mornings and evenings. Who would be happy driving a car in the dark on a busy M25, that has previously suffered a complete engine and electrical failure and coasted to a stop? If the failure had caused the car to go into limp mode, then that would give me a chance when it happens again.
I know that finding an intermittent fault can be like finding a needle in a haystack, but that doesn't mean that just because the OPC have road tested it the fault is no longer there.
I have spent the last two months talking to the OPC, Porsche GB and the lease company. I haven't just decided that this is the ideal way forward, but I just couldn't accept that Porsche would acknowledge that the failure happened, not fix anything, but are happy to let me have the car back. In my eyes that's irresponsible.
As mentioned by some, my course of action is against the lease company, as they are my contractual partner. A solicitor has already been working on this, but this is opening a can of worms and will lead to a huge financial bill if I want to take the matter to court.
As I mentioned previously, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Redman66038

Post by Redman66038 »

Thanks smithy37, that's a nice offer. I would be happy to try and negotiate another car with the dealer principle and the lease company if they're up for it. At the moment everyone seems to be digging in their heels.

Yes nuclear nick, the cars are so complex nowadays that these sort of issues can happen It's the tail wagging the dog!

I'll keep the forum updated.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

You are not stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's a simple case of your word against theirs. Look at the situation from the point of view of Porsche and the Lease company. Porsche acknowledge there have been faults but cannot replicate them and therefore cannot fix them. They will pass the car fit for purpose. The Lease company, with whom you have the contract and with whom you should be dealing, have capital tied up in the vehicle and will not want to lose money on it. I would approach them and request they terminate the lease and begin a new lease with another brand if that's your wish. They cannot argue the vehicle isn't fit to drive as Porsche say it is, it's just that you don't want to drive it. I have never leased a vehicle so I don't know the in's and out's but I suspect there will be much small print to wade through.
If all fails, try writing to AutoExpress they seem to sort out issues for the motorist. Good luck.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Unlike the OP and most others on this forum I am in the process of buying my first Porsche and from my very limited experience I can understand some of the frustration that comes through in this post.

The car I am buying is a Volkswagen/Audi with a Porsche badge on and I am paying an extra £20,000 for that badge; that's OK, my choice, I accept that but for that extra £20k I expect better Customer 'Service' than I would get at Volkswagen/Audi and in my experience the 'service' from Porsche is not as good. I recently (naively) wrote to them describing my 'journey' through the process which I thought was valuable feedback for any organisation wanting to provide better customer service. My letter was given to the head of Customer Cervices (the section I was complaining about) to respond and that response was at best non committal and at worst curt.

Prior to writing to them, I went onto the Porsche web site to look up their mission statement / core values and I did note that there's a lot on there about racing cars and 'exclusivity' and nothing about valuing the customer. I did wonder whether the poor customer service was a known and managed aspect of the Porsche marketing model i.e. 'treat them mean and keep them keen?'

(Note 1: I am not talking about John Smith the car salesman, the guy who plies you with coffee and compliments and who has become your new BFF, I am talking about Porsche core values / the business and marketing model).

(Note 2: This is a forum, and like all forums it is a valuable source of information from people who know the subject and who have first hand experience but like all forums most members join them because they want to hear positive things about what they believe and it becomes tribal and anyone saying something negative about the tribe is attacked).
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 am Unlike the OP and most others on this forum I am in the process of buying my first Porsche and from my very limited experience I can understand some of the frustration that comes through in this post.

The car I am buying is a Volkswagen/Audi with a Porsche badge on and I am paying an extra £20,000 for that badge; that's OK, my choice, I accept that but for that extra £20k I expect better Customer 'Service' than I would get at Volkswagen/Audi and in my experience the 'service' from Porsche is not as good. I recently (naively) wrote to them describing my 'journey' through the process which I thought was valuable feedback for any organisation wanting to provide better customer service. My letter was given to the head of Customer Cervices (the section I was complaining about) to respond and that response was at best non committal and at worst curt.

Prior to writing to them, I went onto the Porsche web site to look up their mission statement / core values and I did note that there's a lot on there about racing cars and 'exclusivity' and nothing about valuing the customer. I did wonder whether the poor customer service was a known and managed aspect of the Porsche marketing model i.e. 'treat them mean and keep them keen?'

(Note 1: I am not talking about John Smith the car salesman, the guy who plies you with coffee and compliments and who has become your new BFF, I am talking about Porsche core values / the business and marketing model).

(Note 2: This is a forum, and like all forums it is a valuable source of information from people who know the subject and who have first hand experience but like all forums most members join them because they want to hear positive things about what they believe and it becomes tribal and anyone saying something negative about the tribe is attacked).
If you already consider the car you're buying as a trumped up badge, why are you proceeding with the purchase??! Your whole message seems conflicted! You go as far as researching Porsche's mission values??! Seriously, if you are that uncomfortable with the marque and experience, just go elsewhere. No one forces you to buy the car.
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Hear hear
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S