Rear Light Bar

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

smithy37 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm Looks ok to me although I haven't encountered on at night. Is it also a brake light? One of my pet hates are drivers that sit in traffic with the foot on the brake blinding anyone behind. Of course, with the 'Hold' facility, this would never happen behind a Macan ;)
Unless I’m mistaken, or missed the sarcasm, then the hill hold function activates the brake lights.
Well I've checked and concluded that I have the only Macan in the World where the brake lights do not stay on when I use the 'hold' facility :shock:
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MikeM wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 pm That's how the Macan hold operates whether flat or hill but as already said the brake lights are activated. When you use hill hold on your Tesla are the brake lights also activated
Okay, so different from my last 911 then. I think using brake pressure to activate hill hold is a lot more convenient than any other system I've seen. As for the brake lights, yes they do come on with hill hold, but that's probably down to legislation. I never use the parking brake unless I'm parked.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am
Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am

Things have changed a little. In a Tesla you just stop and it takes care of the rest. If you are following behind other traffic you don't even have to stop yourself!
Recommended (and frankly obvious) way in a Porsche, by the way, for people who haven't thought about right/wrong since they passed their test, is to stop and put the electronic parking brake on. No, it doesn't wear out the clutch. No need to put it in N. or P.
There’s nothing in the handbook about selecting P or N when stopped, only suggesting holding on the brakes (I assume either) when stopped ‘briefly’. There are many pages on other forums discussing whether it is harmful or not to hold a PDK box in gear at rest for long periods. I don’t know the answer but I guess, as you say goron, there’s unlikely to be any harm in normal traffic conditions. No doubt the car will produce an alarm eventually if it doesn’t like it though!
Quite, and it doesn't have to be in the handbook to be the proper thing to do. The handbook is mostly about not doing something that would allow you to litigate. McDonalds hot coffee principle.

The only time you shouldn't put the parking brake on is if you've been thrashing it around a track (really thrashing it, not a couple of laps of PEC) and you need the discs to cool.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am
Recommended (and frankly obvious) way in a Porsche, by the way, for people who haven't thought about right/wrong since they passed their test, is to stop and put the electronic parking brake on. No, it doesn't wear out the clutch. No need to put it in N. or P.
There’s nothing in the handbook about selecting P or N when stopped, only suggesting holding on the brakes (I assume either) when stopped ‘briefly’. There are many pages on other forums discussing whether it is harmful or not to hold a PDK box in gear at rest for long periods. I don’t know the answer but I guess, as you say goron, there’s unlikely to be any harm in normal traffic conditions. No doubt the car will produce an alarm eventually if it doesn’t like it though!
Quite, and it doesn't have to be in the handbook to be the proper thing to do. The handbook is mostly about not doing something that would allow you to litigate. McDonalds hot coffee principle.

The only time you shouldn't put the parking brake on is if you've been thrashing it around a track (really thrashing it, not a couple of laps of PEC) and you need the discs to cool.
But in reality would you actually bother using your parking brake in stop start traffic when you can simply put it in hold? Especially if hold comes on with a simple prod of the brake pedal as the other guy said it does.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

nozydog wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm
pmg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Some press reports say this is the last IC engined Macan and the next model is pure electric. I trust you are happy an electric vehicle can fulfil your needs?
Not so sure about that. Unlikely to go from pure ICE to pure electric in one step. Macan 2 will certainly be available as a hybrid though.
Nope I think you'll find it will be a full EV. They're not going to develop another ICE/hybrid platform at this late stage of ICE cars which are being demonised and hounded off the planet!!
Hmmmmm... We’ll see... ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I thought this was all quite simple, but we all seem to have different ways to stay stationary in our cars! All I do is one of these:

1. Keep foot on brake pedal if stopping momentary (e.g. junction, roundabout). Brakelight stays on.
2. Activate hill hold via brake pedal if stopping momentarily on a hill. Brakelight stays on apparently.
3. Flick on handbrake and take foot off brake pedal if stopping for more than a few seconds (e.g. traffic lights). Brakelight goes off. Press accelerator when time to go and parking brake automatically releases. (Engine restarts if stop/start had kicked in.)

In all of these scenarios I keep the selector in D (or M).

P is only used if properly parking the car. Cannot think of many use-cases for N, other than when being towed!
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
goron59

Post by goron59 »

PaulR wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm I thought this was all quite simple, but we all seem to have different ways to stay stationary in our cars! All I do is one of these:

1. Keep foot on brake pedal if stopping momentary (e.g. junction, roundabout). Brakelight stays on.
2. Activate hill hold via brake pedal if stopping momentarily on a hill. Brakelight stays on apparently.
3. Flick on handbrake and take foot off brake pedal if stopping for more than a few seconds (e.g. traffic lights). Brakelight goes off. Press accelerator when time to go and parking brake automatically releases. (Engine restarts if stop/start had kicked in.)

In all of these scenarios I keep the selector in D (or M).

P is only used if properly parking the car. Cannot think of many use-cases for N, other than when being towed!
Yep, you've nailed it. Anything other than this is just weird.
amac

Post by amac »

mjrennie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 am It's not the best design they've come up with, in my opinion. The rear light cluster has a feel of the 928 about it on the outgoing model and it is arguably its nicest feature.
I greatly preferred my last 928.

Far simpler and cleaner lines - when they employed designers rather than stylists.

Porsche 928.jpg

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

That design was ahead of its time & still looks good now. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:52 am That design was ahead of its time & still looks good now. :)
Yes. Still excellent