Rear Light Bar

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Paul wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm Looks ok to me although I haven't encountered on at night. Is it also a brake light? One of my pet hates are drivers that sit in traffic with the foot on the brake blinding anyone behind. Of course, with the 'Hold' facility, this would never happen behind a Macan ;)
.???? take a closer look next time you activate “hold”
I'll pop out next time then and take a look as, oddly enough, I can't see the back of my car whilst driving. If this is the case, and I've no doubt that it is, then the 'Hold' function is a waste of technology. I'm sure the salesman told me on the test drive that the brake lights weren't on. I remember because when we stopped at some lights, I put the thing into neutral and put the parking brake on ( there is no such thing as a handbrake btw) and he said there was no need to do that. I was also taught during my driving lessons to apply the parking brake and use neutral if stationary for more than 20 seconds I think (it was 49 years ago). The Mini cooper 'S' and Vauxhall Viva I learnt in didn't have any hold facility or ABS so I was taught 'Cadence' braking also. The good old days, not. Brake lights were also much dimmer than the LED's they have these days. Is brighter better?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 pm I was also taught during my driving lessons to apply the parking brake and use neutral if stationary for more than 20 seconds I think (it was 49 years ago)
Things have changed a little. In a Tesla you just stop and it takes care of the rest. If you are following behind other traffic you don't even have to stop yourself!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 pm I was also taught during my driving lessons to apply the parking brake and use neutral if stationary for more than 20 seconds I think (it was 49 years ago)
Things have changed a little. In a Tesla you just stop and it takes care of the rest. If you are following behind other traffic you don't even have to stop yourself!
Same with any modern car with adaptive cruise control.

Although Porsche ACC needs to recognise it's a car, and not just a thing that's been there all along!

Recommended (and frankly obvious) way in a Porsche, by the way, for people who haven't thought about right/wrong since they passed their test, is to stop and put the electronic parking brake on. No, it doesn't wear out the clutch. No need to put it in N. or P.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm Looks ok to me although I haven't encountered on at night. Is it also a brake light? One of my pet hates are drivers that sit in traffic with the foot on the brake blinding anyone behind. Of course, with the 'Hold' facility, this would never happen behind a Macan ;)
This is one of many downsides to new technology! I'm guessing most drivers with modern auto cars keep their foot on the brake to save using the rather annoying silly little lever that comes with all modern electronic parking brakes!! Every night on my drive home virtually ALL drivers in front of me do it - even on flat ground!!! Sadly many drivers don't seem to care about those behind them getting sore eyeballs :roll:
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 pm
Recommended (and frankly obvious) way in a Porsche, by the way, for people who haven't thought about right/wrong since they passed their test, is to stop and put the electronic parking brake on. No, it doesn't wear out the clutch. No need to put it in N. or P.
Aaahh, so no need to move the lever then (I've never owned an auto yet) and no doubt the parking brake auto-releases on pulling away! Sorted! :ugeek:
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm
pmg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm
SP6IGHT wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:24 pm
Personally, i'll be waiting for the all new one in 2022.
Some press reports say this is the last IC engined Macan and the next model is pure electric. I trust you are happy an electric vehicle can fulfil your needs?
Not so sure about that. Unlikely to go from pure ICE to pure electric in one step. Macan 2 will certainly be available as a hybrid though.
Nope I think you'll find it will be a full EV. They're not going to develop another ICE/hybrid platform at this late stage of ICE cars which are being demonised and hounded off the planet!!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

nozydog wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm
This is one of many downsides to new technology! I'm guessing most drivers with modern auto cars keep their foot on the brake to save using the rather annoying silly little lever that comes with all modern electronic parking brakes!! Every night on my drive home virtually ALL drivers in front of me do it - even on flat ground!!! Sadly many drivers don't seem to care about those behind them getting sore eyeballs :roll:
I must live in a more civilised part of the world as it's nearer 50/50 :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There’s nothing in the handbook about selecting P or N when stopped, only suggesting holding on the brakes (I assume either) when stopped ‘briefly’. There are many pages on other forums discussing whether it is harmful or not to hold a PDK box in gear at rest for long periods. I don’t know the answer but I guess, as you say goron, there’s unlikely to be any harm in normal traffic conditions. No doubt the car will produce an alarm eventually if it doesn’t like it though!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Same with any modern car with adaptive cruise control.

Although Porsche ACC needs to recognise it's a car, and not just a thing that's been there all along!

I know the latest Porsche adaptive cruise works down to zero speed, but quite a few others don't.

What I prefer on the Tesla is to activate "hill hold" you just lightly press the brake pedal when you come to a standstill. Every other car I've had with hill hold has used an inclinometer, so only works on actual hills and then you have to press a button or pull a lever to activate the electronic handbrake on flatter ground. It was also a great revelation to get rid of the auto creeping so no need to keep pressing the brake pedal when not in hold or neutral.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

[quote=Peteski post_id=170703 time=1547646355 user_id=1874

What I prefer on the Tesla is to activate "hill hold" you just lightly press the brake pedal when you come to a standstill.
[/quote]

That's how the Macan hold operates whether flat or hill but as already said the brake lights are activated. When you use hill hold on your Tesla are the brake lights also activated
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6