GAP Insurance on New Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:16 pm Standard OPC action is to offer GAP and finance services.

Check out NFU for car insurance, it includes GAP as a sort of freebie.

Many of us here are with NFU.
With the caveat that GAP insurance is NOT included if your car is on PCP just to be clear
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

amf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm Hi All

New member here with a Macan S on order for delivery in June! I am wondering if you guys can give me some advice re gap insurance. My OPC provided me with the following information:
  • 24mths at £349
  • 36mths at £499
  • 48mths at £599
These policies have an unlimited claim limit and also includes £750 towards any excess you have to pay if you are found at fault for the write off.

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks
Read this older post with some info. Link below.

Forget forum discount as that’s 11%. Use discount code MSE25 and you get 25% off the policy.
Read my comments about why I choose 5 years which may fit your criteria. Call them and cross check everything to make sure you are happy for your requirements and nothing has changed.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6025&hilit=gap&sid ... 62b1d69be3
GTS 😀
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

amf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm Hi All

New member here with a Macan S on order for delivery in June! I am wondering if you guys can give me some advice re gap insurance. My OPC provided me with the following information:
  • 24mths at £349
  • 36mths at £499
  • 48mths at £599
These policies have an unlimited claim limit and also includes £750 towards any excess you have to pay if you are found at fault for the write off.

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks
I may be the only one on this forum who has made a claim with ALA and been paid out the amount due. Not on my Porsche but our Fiat 500, recently written off by Aviva due to its collision with a prat driver (video uploaded in the dashcam forum). ALA claims handling dept quibbled over a few ££'s in an effort to reduce their payout, because they expect a claimant to use their 'best endeavours' to secure the highest payout from the car insurer, which I knew I had done, but they relented. As for premiums and discount, don't rely on their website, phone them, have a chat. They reduced the premium on the replacement car significantly below the discounted online quote from £166 to £124 for a 3yr back to invoice policy. Aviva even waived their £250 excess when we grumbled about the time it was taking to reach a repair or write-off decision. 'Unlimited claim limit' is of no real value but probably sounds good coming from an SE to an uninformed buyer.
ALA quotes were the best by a mile on the replacement car, and far less than the OPC quoted for the current Panamera and the new Macan S, plus there was a reduction for the unused period when I changed car. Tel: 01653 916306 or email: dawn@ala.co.uk, who helped ease my full payout.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
jk88

Post by jk88 »

+1 for ALA. My son made a claim around 3 years ago (I ended up doing ost of the paperwork of course, of which there is a fair amount), however the insurer paid up without any issues approx two weeks after the claim went in.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
biggeordie

Post by biggeordie »

Hi amf.

If I may ask, which opc gave u quotes for GAP insurance.
amf

Post by amf »

Hi it’s the Perth Porsche Centre (Scotland)
vic49er

Post by vic49er »

Hi, try NFU insurance, you get 2 years back to invoice if you insure vehicle with them
Current Macan S Gen 3. Collected 7th July 2023 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYKXJQ9
BMW Z3M Coupe (S50)
Previous: Macan 2L Gen 2
robbie

Post by robbie »

As with Col above, just use an insurance company that offer a brand new car if you write yours off, I use SAGA insurance who provide this feature for the first 24 months from date of 1st registration, the only proviso is that you must be the first registered owner. In my view this does exactly the same as buying GAP albeit only for the first 2yrs of the cars life, some insurance companies (ie Direct Line) only offer this feature for the first 12 months so worth checking before you decide who you buy your car insurance from.
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

vic49er wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm Hi, try NFU insurance, you get 2 years back to invoice if you insure vehicle with them
Yes they do but NOT if you have your car on a PCP deal so this will not be appropriate for most members of this forum
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Having to have GAP insurance says it all about the whole Insurance industry. As I understand it, you take out the extra insurance to cover the gap between what the insurance company pay you if your car is stolen, written off or damaged by fire. The issue is they will just look at a chart and not take into account the condition of your car or spec at the time of the claim. So you can wash and polish your car every weekend and it will make no difference to the Insurance company. I have GAP just in case, back to invoice cover. I hope I'll never need to use but I bet if I do there will be caveats and small print involved. You can't win.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.