Parking 'home and away'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

I am interested to hear your views on two unrelated parking topics.

1) Where do you park your Macan overnight? If you don't use a garage does it receive any unwanted attention?

2) When away from home do you find it easy to find a reasonable place to leave the car? How does the cars size match up to current allocated spaces?

Like many I always park away from the entrace to shops and car parks but still come back to find others have parked next to me.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I've never been concerned about leaving my car overnight.

If I had a 911 or similar I might be.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

paulmac wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am I am interested to hear your views on two unrelated parking topics.

1) Where do you park your Macan overnight? If you don't use a garage does it receive any unwanted attention?

2) When away from home do you find it easy to find a reasonable place to leave the car? How does the cars size match up to current allocated spaces?

Like many I always park away from the entrace to shops and car parks but still come back to find others have parked next to me.

Paul
For me:

1. In my building's underground carpark. Ref attention....you're kidding. It isn't an Aston Zagato or Lambo or Ferrari Enzo. It's a mid size SUV. So...no attention...at all. Zero. Btw, that goes for anywhere it is parked! Contrary to popular belief, no one gives a Macan a second look. Plenty would like to think so but I'm here to tell you, aside from the obsessed on here (!), people don't!

2. As with any mid sized SUV, your parking selection is going to be different to your Smart ForTwo or Mini Cooper. I can't see how parking away from entrances to shops or carparks does anything. Frankly, I would see a bigger risk parking on your own far removed from everyone than in the herd. Spaces are nearly always sized small so, pretty much everywhere, you're relying on the good graces of people to not bang their door into you. You can't protect yourself all the time from the local cretin brigade. Further, your car isn't made of sugar or glass! LOL! It can withstand a bit! If it gets a ding, there are loads of threads on here about ding removal which leave the car good as new.

That's my 2p! Boom! :lol:
Guccigearnoidea

Post by Guccigearnoidea »

Not sure if your question is around the car being damaged or stolen?

I'm lucky I can park mine behind my house and no one would even know it was there. Sneaky side entrance that only myself and my neighbour use so very private. Away from any road traffic as well so no chance of any damage.

I always park my car close to entrances (being female and all the carjackings that are happening I wouldn't want to make myself an easy target and giving criminals a quick getaway)

I have a tracking device and I also have a brilliant steering lock that I use. As the majority of people no longer use steering locks it again makes my car more of a hassle for someone to attempt to take.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

paulmac wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am I am interested to hear your views on two unrelated parking topics.

Paul
Would you like to know the times I park and where I keep the keys? :lol:

But:
1. secure underground carpark with 24h security. plenty of space.
2. easyish to find spaces, but then I plan ahead. I choose my supermarket based on carpark quality.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Guccigearnoidea wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm
I have a tracking device and I also have a brilliant steering lock that I use. As the majority of people no longer use steering locks it again makes my car more of a hassle for someone to attempt to take.
If you use the ‘hockey stick’ type of lock the thieves love them because it gives them all the leverage they need to break the steering lock. Less than a minute the lock is off as they hacksaw through the steering wheel rim. The lock that would discourage them is the Disklok.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Tend to agree with GMAN75, few people give the Macan a second glance, to many it's just another SUV and they all look the same. Most too busy looking at their phones to notice anything outside arms length. Still worth parking sensibly but thats the case for any vehicle with supermarkets, DIY stores and doctors surgeries being the worst places to get dinged or scraped. All this of course dependent on where you are in the country in the first place. 🤔
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

No matter what car you own, some moron will want to damage it. I've had various cars damaged but it's hard to say if it was deliberate. I have had kids steal dust caps off tyres whilst the car is parked in my drive, I caught them in the act and put the fear of God into them. A little OTT but not had any issues since.
As for Supermarkets, I avoid them in the Macan if at all possible. Don't know where Gman75 lives but my Macan draws attention, either that or it's me!
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I have a colleague who had a BMW X1 stolen by a gang driving around expensive residential districts in Surrey and trying to steal any SUV they saw parked on drives. Police traced the car to a warehouse in from memory Doncaster. Since then the car is the garage as much as possible. I try to park in the less packed areas of car parks and avoid the tightest of spices if possible. that is about as much as one can do.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
VanB

Post by VanB »

It's a car, not a baby and it's insured. Macan never got a second look from anyone, 911 barely gets a look and take it to the supermarket and everywhere else.

I find the whole concept of being precious about a car a bit odd. My 911 is used as a daily driver and lives on my drive and not in the garage (OK I have gates which are a minor deterrent).

If it gets dinged it's easy to fix. If it gets stolen it's easy to replace. If you are more emotionally attached to your car than that then I suspect there are probably some self-help groups you could join (this is a joke for those of you who would take it far too literally)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate