Parking 'home and away'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
goron59

Post by goron59 »

VanB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm It's a car, not a baby and it's insured. Macan never got a second look from anyone, 911 barely gets a look and take it to the supermarket and everywhere else.

I find the whole concept of being precious about a car a bit odd. My 911 is used as a daily driver and lives on my drive and not in the garage (OK I have gates which are a minor deterrent).

If it gets dinged it's easy to fix. If it gets stolen it's easy to replace. If you are more emotionally attached to your car than that then I suspect there are probably some self-help groups you could join (this is a joke for those of you who would take it far too literally)
Oh c'mon, there are people here who dreamed of owning a Porsche their whole lives, scrimped and saved, and finally got enough money for a deposit and a PCP payment, and it is the world to them!

And believe it or not, there are places in the UK where if you show up in anything with alloy wheels, it's like you're some kind of royalty!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Always garaged at home.

Away from home it gets parked in a location that I can get out of the car easily and with a bit of luck when I return some dick has not parked up close. If said dick parks up close I have one hellovajob getting back into the car.

I also avoid parking where it is likely to get dinged or scratched not because it is precious but because getting it repaired would be a hastle and as it is the only car I do not want the hastle or to be driving around in a Vauxhall Corsa with the Repair Shops details emblazened all over the damn thing.

That said the vast majority just see it as a black SUV and they probably think that it is a Kia which is perfectly fine with me.

If I had a Panny or 911 then things would probably be different.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm
VanB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm It's a car, not a baby and it's insured. Macan never got a second look from anyone, 911 barely gets a look and take it to the supermarket and everywhere else.

I find the whole concept of being precious about a car a bit odd. My 911 is used as a daily driver and lives on my drive and not in the garage (OK I have gates which are a minor deterrent).

If it gets dinged it's easy to fix. If it gets stolen it's easy to replace. If you are more emotionally attached to your car than that then I suspect there are probably some self-help groups you could join (this is a joke for those of you who would take it far too literally)
Oh c'mon, there are people here who dreamed of owning a Porsche their whole lives, scrimped and saved, and finally got enough money for a deposit and a PCP payment, and it is the world to them!

And believe it or not, there are places in the UK where if you show up in anything with alloy wheels, it's like you're some kind of royalty!
Well said Adrian.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm I can't see how parking away from entrances to shops or carparks does anything.
Well it gets you a bit fitter :lol:

I can't remember ever getting a parking ding when parking "strategically" at the back of our local supermarket carpark. It seems to attract a more careful breed of owner than the front entrance where people just sling their sheds in randomly without a care. My father-in-law goes for the latter approach and his car is always full of parking dings, although I'm not sure what percentage of those are self-inflicted :lol:

I do agree about the herd mentality though when it comes to stealing or malicious damage. I might think twice about leaving my car "alone" at night in a public carpark.

At home I garage my cars now overnight. Too many cars are getting nicked off driveways for my liking, although our area is relatively low risk.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Ideally somewhere where it does not attract undue attention :lol:

IMG_0915.jpg

991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
VanB

Post by VanB »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Goron

I came from nothing and always dreamed about owning a Porsche. Eventually I got one then a second and a third but my point is it is still only a car. A very nice car yes but there are far more important things in life. Your family first and foremost, your friends and your health. These things can’t be replaced but your car can.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

See below for my parking space of choice. ;)

My 911 lives outside the front of my house, in my parking bay, under the stars. I have a great view of it from my kitchen and my two front bedrooms. It is well illuminated at night time. I live on a private road with ‘rising bollard’ security. I do have a brick-built car port, but it is as small as most modern garages (very tight fit even for the 911) and it is out of my sight, behind my house alongside other car ports. Security-wise, I feel happier having my car directly outside my front door and more openly visible to my neighbours and me.

Mine’s a daily driver (nearly 12k miles since April) so I try not to be too precious about it. It still has its first ‘battle scar’ as I have not yet gotten around to getting a smart repair quote. Neither did I get it ceramic-coated or have any plastic film applied.

When I go to Sainsbury’s, I do park 30 seconds’ walk from the entrance and so far, so good.

P.S. A warm welcome to our friendly forum to the two new contributors! :)

671D0EEF-F2B8-42BE-8873-B8A8AAA94A52.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

Great to see I have started a discussion and have not been flamed by the 'precious' police.

Anyway a little background to my questions.

After many many GTI's I eventually joined Porsche ownership about 10 years ago and have had several Boxsters and Caymans since. This is a bit of a Sunday car for me as I also have a diesel golf to do the company miles during the week. It therefore lives in the garage and rarely goes near public car parks although being small fits quite well in most places.

All that said, I am about to push the button on replacing my Golf with a Gen2 Macan (with a GTI engine ;) ) and was interested to hear your parking experiences. Whilst I live in a pretty safe area as others have said, off drive theft has been on a sharp increase locally for prestige cars recently and this coupled with the need to park at stations/airports and car jacking at my midlands business park has all made me wonder if these issues are experienced by Porsche owners. It is ony a car but a damned expensive one in my book. With regard to the away parking, this will be my first SUV and looking at many of the city centre hotel car parks I frequent I can't see how this is going to be practical. The spaces don't even have to meet regulations for them and are already small for my Golf.

Just interested to hear real world experiences of living with a Macan day to day.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
Paul

Post by Paul »

My GTS (and the previous SD) sleeps on my drive, behind a pair of gates so in that respect I am fortunate. Saying that, I have no qualms leaving in town of an evening (although I’ve not yet left it overnight in the open off premises) - as others have said, it looks like a fairly normal SUV unless you’re an enthusiast.

Parking in town can be challenging, not so much for the size of the car but for the relatively poor visibility. I have the reversing camera but if I needed to regularly street park I would consider the surround cam.

Multi stories can be challenging too although nowhere near as tricky as underground Hotel car-parks on the continent.

When taking the shuttle accross the channel you can specify the high carriages which are a bit wider (although I did forget the last twice and had to be extra vigilant getting onto the top deck😳)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
eakae

Post by eakae »

Living in central London, drives and garages are only for the seriously well off. That means my car gets parked on the road where I happen to find a space. However, as others have mentioned, it doesn’t draw any attention. Even the little kid selling drugs at the end of the road doesn’t give it a second glance!

The only thing that I try to avoid is parking it under a tree. Damn pigeons....
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo