Miles from tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I spoke to a bloke in the tyre trade. He reckons that the AS tyre is only marginally better than a Summer tyre (which had harder compounds) and winter tyres are the best option in snow. He told me they work by allowing the snow to stick in the grooves which aids traction, like rolling a big snowball. I never knew that!
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

GuyW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:40 pm The Macan GTS never had an option of All Season tyres in the size of the GTS alloy width. Nor can they be fitted now/after market or I might have gone with them. The car is sold with summer tyres, you have to buy winters if you want or need them.
I spec'd AS's on my last GTS from the factory on GTS 20 inch Spyders and that's what it came with. I think they stopped offering them as an option a year or so later. It also looks as though Michelin have stopped making 20 inch AS's as they don't appear as an option on their website anymore so that might limit my options to change.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Col M

Post by Col M »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:49 pm I spoke to a bloke in the tyre trade. He reckons that the AS tyre is only marginally better than a Summer tyre (which had harder compounds) and winter tyres are the best option in snow. He told me they work by allowing the snow to stick in the grooves which aids traction, like rolling a big snowball. I never knew that!
Indeed just watched a video explaining this ad nauseam...ATS waiting area!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:49 pm I spoke to a bloke in the tyre trade. He reckons that the AS tyre is only marginally better than a Summer tyre (which had harder compounds) and winter tyres are the best option in snow. He told me they work by allowing the snow to stick in the grooves which aids traction, like rolling a big snowball. I never knew that!
Yeah, a lot of AS tyres (but not all) are really just modified summer tyres - extra sipes etc. to grip a little better in adverse conditions. Full winter tyres are designed from the ground up to deal with sub zero temperatures and snow, so tend to be a lot more effective.