Miles from tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm
Miopyk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 am . My current Macan on 21” Pirelli’s does not inspire the same confidence in cold conditions and I suspect will be pretty hopeless on snow. The wheels do look good though 😀
Are those Pirelli summers or all seasons?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I concur with previous posters about AS tyres. My Macan S (Dec 15) now has 38k miles on its first set of AS tyres (19"). There is at least 4mm left on each.
I heard/read that Porsche will not supply AS tyres on new cars any more - something to do with German regulations. Is this true, and if so I wonder if a UK OPC would consider a customer request to supply a car with AS tyres at no additional cost?
pmg

Post by pmg »

stallturn wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm I concur with previous posters about AS tyres. My Macan S (Dec 15) now has 38k miles on its first set of AS tyres (19"). There is at least 4mm left on each.

I heard/read that Porsche will not supply AS tyres on new cars any more - something to do with German regulations. Is this true, and if so I wonder if a UK OPC would consider a customer request to supply a car with AS tyres at no additional cost?
I assume the problem was Porshe N met all seasons have the lower Mand S standards and not the snowflake required by European winter standards. Michelin make an all season Cross Climate Suv tyre that meets snowflake standard and is available in Macan 19 in sizes but has not been Porsche N approved

I suspect Porsche UK have realised how much money there is to be made from moving from offering all seasons as a new build option to selling separate full winter wheel and tyre sets. When I mentioned all season tyres to the SEC when road testing a Macan I was basically sent in the direction of the parts dept.

When I ran on a BMW summers throughout a UK year most of the actual wear was in the winter. nest year on, a separate low-cost steel winter wheel and tyre set In practice paid for itself over the five years I kept the car. Unfortunately, no such available for the Macan which is why living on the South Coast all seasons may be the best compromise. I am split whether, for my Macan due in April, I switch to all seasons next autumn and keep the part worn summer tyres for refitting at resale or invest in a separate 19 in winter wheel set.
VanB

Post by VanB »

If swapping tyres why not go with a summer and winter set? Seems a bit self-defeating to go for summer and all-seasons...
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

pmg wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:42 pm
mark-yorkshire wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm
Miopyk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 am . My current Macan on 21” Pirelli’s does not inspire the same confidence in cold conditions and I suspect will be pretty hopeless on snow. The wheels do look good though 😀
Are those Pirelli summers or all seasons?
They are P zero summer tyres. Porsche never gave the option of an all season tyre on the 21” wheels and now no longer offer on any wheel.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
pmg

Post by pmg »

VanB wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:45 pm If swapping tyres why not go with a summer and winter set? Seems a bit self-defeating to go for summer and all-seasons...
If Swapping, I only intend swapping once and then running thereafter on all reasons until resale
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm Don’t winter tyres have softer compound than summers?

If so, I imagine AS tyres would also be softer compound than summers?
It's not so straight cut as that. Many high performance summer tyres are actually pretty soft compound to maximise grip rather than wear rate. Some winter tyre compounds are not as soft as you might think either because the compound has to support a more "loose" tread pattern. If they went too soft, the tread blocks would break up quickly.

It's all a compromise and wear rate is generally a trade off against grip level. I know which parameter I prefer to maximise! I find that Michelin tend to compromise in favour of grip level and hence I rarely get more than 15k miles out of a set.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Peteski.

I'm surprised about the views on 991 tyres, as seen on Rennlist. There seems to be an almost universal preference for Michelins over Pirelli P-Zeroes, with buyers whose new car wears Michelins saying that they've won the 'Michelin Lottery'.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

My last Boxster had Michelins, the 718 has Pirellis. I want to change to Michelins upon replacement, but they're not available in the sizes (or at least that I can find). 718 is on 18,500 on the original Pirellis. But the ackermann skip is wearing. I don't recall the Michelins being as bad.
Macan S D
718 S
GuyW

Post by GuyW »

The Macan GTS never had an option of All Season tyres in the size of the GTS alloy width. Nor can they be fitted now/after market or I might have gone with them. The car is sold with summer tyres, you have to buy winters if you want or need them.