Thinking of changing to a McLaren 570S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Hi Simon - thanks - clearly in a 570S, rear seats are not even a consideration but if I was going to have a 911 then it would make sense to have the capability to use the back given I have 9 year old twins. I didn’t know that the T could have rear seats so that’s something to watch out for! Clearly they are different cars in different price brackets but if I went for a 911, I would want one with the ability to use back seats.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ I think the 2+2 set up is part of the iconic history of the 911.

I think having the option of carrying back seat passengers is all part of the 911 ethos and gives useful practicality & flexibility.

Luckily Carrera, T, Carrera S, GTS, Turbo and Turbo S all offer back seats. :)

P.S. Regarding your twins, the 911 should be useful for a while, as I regularly have my girlfriend’s 14 year old son in the back (he’s 5’ 10”) when we take him to his Sunday football matches. ⚽️
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

I really like the Maclaren 570s but if I had to choose between that and the new 992 C4S I'd take the Porsche. Unhappily, it's not a problem I have to wrestle with :D :lol:
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Sorry - late to the party.

I had a 650 Spider for nearly a year and have driven the 570S on its launch at Millbrook and borrowed one for the weekend before deciding to go 650S route...650 for me was a no brainer, faster and yet more comfortable with its much more sophisticated suspension and a more pleasant cabin for me. As to the drive of the 570S, it really is still excellent. The 650 was in many ways the best car I have owned - purely from a driver engagement, driver enjoyment and general feel-good factor when driving.

However, I would never own another McLaren no matter how good the drive / looks / feeling. For me the memories are similar to when I owned TVRs in the early 2000s (including a Cerbera 450 which was the most dramatic car I have had)...after sales, reliability, and general hassle factor is off the chart vs a "normal" premium car like Porsche or Ferrari. In the space of a 6 month period, the windscreen split due to "high summer temperatures", the battery failed (which then involves a long winded and painful process to get the scissor doors open) and the suspension developed a leak. Had to get these fixed at Bristol as Ascot refused to help as didn't buy the car directly from them.

For me, no matter how good the car might be, I cannot be bothered to be constantly worried that it has a higher than normal chance of being off the road and then a good chance that any repairs / fixes will take months to sort, even if under warranty. Maybe that would be different if it was one out of many cars but I can only justify running 1 or 2 at a time.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
VanB

Post by VanB »

Thanks for your thoughts, Virage. Sounds like a nightmare
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Reliability stories are mixed, but it seems to improve with each production run and each model. Certainly the gearboxes were a problem at one time, but the same gearbox in the later cars seems fine.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

I don’t know anyone “normal” (and there I mean who doesn’t have a fleet) who has bought a second one. It’s the after sales care and service which kill it.

I guess the flip side it this reflects in the resale values. The fact that you can buy a 570S for £105,000 and the fact that McLaren dealers have to work to ideally a £20,000 spread given their low volume means that trade they are massively cheaper than any Porsche GT, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc so if you got a good deal, you do get a lot for your money if you are prepared to take the risk.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

CharlesElliott wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:08 pm Hi Simon - thanks - clearly in a 570S, rear seats are not even a consideration but if I was going to have a 911 then it would make sense to have the capability to use the back given I have 9 year old twins. I didn’t know that the T could have rear seats so that’s something to watch out for! Clearly they are different cars in different price brackets but if I went for a 911, I would want one with the ability to use back seats.
I've regularly done the school run and day trips out with our two girls (now aged 9 and 6) in various 911s. The rear seats are almost ideal for that sort of age group. Also when not in use the folded rear seats make a useful flat luggage rack. It really doesn't make sense to get a 911 without rear seats, given that the whole rear engine layout was designed around making it a genuine 2+2.
RAA

Post by RAA »

And then there is the chance of a McLaren bursting into flames - look up Salomondrin's video clips on YouTube of when his McLaren 'Senna' caught fire a couple of weeks ago !
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I see that Top 555 have at least three used McLarens for sale with mileages between 700 and 2,100...

A 675LT Spider, a 720S Performance and a 570GT...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018