Thinking of changing to a McLaren 570S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Early days but am thinking of changing my GTS for a McLaren 570S Spider. Not the usual change to a Cayenne or a 911!

One of the main factors in buying a Macan was needing to tow my race car, and whilst I’m still racing, I’m looking at alternative arrangements - ie someone else taking it to circuits - for 2019 which means I don’t need that capability anymore.

A 911 is still an option, but I have a McLaren itch that needs to be scratched at some point.

Anyone on here own one? They depreciate steadily which is OK as I will buy secondhand and the future loss seems pretty predictable. Reliability seems a bit iffy but the car will have a warranty and I suspect the stories are overblown.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Well, that’s different! :)

The only person that I can think of is Virage, who has, or had, a McLaren, but not sure which model...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Borage seems to change his cars like most people change their underpants. And what a fine selection of cars he has owned too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
JR WAL

Post by JR WAL »

Yes owed a 570s and great cars. My old one is still for sale at Leeds, £4k less than they paid me ! Great time to get a deal
On order : Turbo PP www.porsche-code.com/PHKEENG0 Macan 2;http://www.porsche-code.com/PH1P17P2
macan 1 - macan s http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI1VBS2
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Which one was yours and why did you sell? PM me if easier!
JR WAL

Post by JR WAL »

The volcano orange with MSO exhaust. Bought a 720s at quite a good discount, but all sports/ super car brands are dropping like a stone at moment
On order : Turbo PP www.porsche-code.com/PHKEENG0 Macan 2;http://www.porsche-code.com/PH1P17P2
macan 1 - macan s http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI1VBS2
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Looks very nice although I think I want a spider.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm Early days but am thinking of changing my GTS for a McLaren 570S Spider. Not the usual change to a Cayenne or a 911!

One of the main factors in buying a Macan was needing to tow my race car, and whilst I’m still racing, I’m looking at alternative arrangements - ie someone else taking it to circuits - for 2019 which means I don’t need that capability anymore.

A 911 is still an option, but I have a McLaren itch that needs to be scratched at some point.

Anyone on here own one? They depreciate steadily which is OK as I will buy secondhand and the future loss seems pretty predictable. Reliability seems a bit iffy but the car will have a warranty and I suspect the stories are overblown.
I sold my 991.2 RS and considered one as a replacement. I only sold the RS because of pliancy and for the fact that I mainly drive on A/B roads outside of a track day and I was permanently grounding the nose on undulations and so on. Managed 11,000 miles which my OPC suggested was a moon trip in mileage compared to some of the cars that they have for resale. It's in my top 3 cars I've ever owned or ever driven so don't rule out a 911!

I was lent a Spider for a few days but I was considering the GT and it was the only loaner the dealer could provide. There was a lot to like about it. I ruled it out in the end as I didn't find it had as much character as the RS (maybe an unfair comparison) and there were little things that I didn't like about it which are personal and subjective. Engine sound wasn't the flat six howl I love and it felt a little sterile. Fantastic car and remarkable achievement for a company in the infancy of road production cars but I just didn't think it was for me.

Always been surprised by the size of the 570 series, they always feel smaller than the 650 / 720 in photographs.

A 600LT Spider if you can get one would be a tantalising proposition. I've not driven the LT but having spoken to people I know who have, they're full of praise and say it pushes it into 911 RS comparison.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Thanks for the info. An acquaintance bought a 570S for a few months as a way into a 600LT which he's just had delivered so I hope to have a look at it soon. I won't rule out a 911 but Porsche have got a bit silly with supply on their premium models and I'm not sure I can be bothered.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I will probably do about 6K miles / year and one or two track sessions. The mileage on most of the GT3 RS cars is criminal! 34 of the 40 991 GT3RS cars on Pistonheads have done < 5K miles.