Thinking of changing to a McLaren 570S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

Yes still have the GTS and loving every minute of it. It has so many personalities that I really think it can be all things to most people. I can’t imagine there being anything else to compare to it as a daily driver.

Interestingly been looking at McLarens a lot recently and also heard really good things about the new Aston Vantage.

Not planning on changing just yet but useful to keep an eye out for when that time comes.

Also thinking about adding a golf R to take some of the daily strain as the Citroen C1 doesn’t really do it for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

alxgb wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm Lowering the T? Primarily aesthetic. I saw the modifications that Litchfield did to their T. Akrapovic exhaust, tuned engine and tweaked suspension with new springs. I think theirs is 20mm lower at the front and 10mm lower at the rear, in relation to Sport PASM.
I saw the Litchfield car somewhere and thought of you - glad it hadn't escaped your attention.

TBH, I don't think you're going to gain much from lowering it - I know that they experimented with things like spacers and so on in the development of the tune so might be worth speaking to them and seeing what they suggest.
Thanks, Alex. I think it’s a head versus heart thing. Head says there’s nothing really that the T needs doing to it. Heart says it could look even better if lowered a little, with spacers...

I will mull on this further, and certainly seek advice from Litchfield, before parting with any cash...

Cheers!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Go on WingCo you know you want to and to 80 hp bump wouldn’t be bad either!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hi Charles, Re McLaren's you may have already come across this one, (link) his opinions and somewhat long winded but the many posted comments are worth a read. You certainly need deeper than normal pockets to run one and a quick look on Autotrader shows more used McLarens for sale than petrol Macan's 🤔They do look good though 😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

VanB wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm Go on WingCo you know you want to and to 80 hp bump wouldn’t be bad either!
I'm with Van, some extra power would be good. :D
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

VanB wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:50 pm Yes still have the GTS and loving every minute of it. It has so many personalities that I really think it can be all things to most people. I can’t imagine there being anything else to compare to it as a daily driver.

Interestingly been looking at McLarens a lot recently and also heard really good things about the new Aston Vantage.

Not planning on changing just yet but useful to keep an eye out for when that time comes.

Also thinking about adding a golf R to take some of the daily strain as the Citroen C1 doesn’t really do it for me!
The GTS package in any Porsche guise is a really accomplished balance between practicality, fun and residuals.

I do like the look of the new Vantage. If you get some seat time in one, report back. Interested in the comparison of a GTS owner versus a journo.

Might be of interest but there is a new Golf GTI coming out - it's a TCR and the final hurrah for the MKVII. It shares several components with the Clubsport S and should be a good package. They showed it at Worthersee last year but WLTP delayed the launch as it should have been out in October but now it's only due in the UK in Feb/March with journalists only getting their hands on it in Dec/Jan. It's not a limited edition car but will be limited production in that the production window will close when the MKVIII launches later this year. I expect residuals will be stronger as there will not be as many around. It's DSG only which for a DD I don't expect you'll have a problem with.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Thanks for the heads up on the golf Alex. Was going to have a look at the Vantage in the next week or so. More out of interest than anything else as the last one was a dog to drive. I don’t believe in weekend cars so if I change, and it’s a big if, it will be for another DD
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

alxgb wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm
VanB wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm Go on WingCo you know you want to and to 80 hp bump wouldn’t be bad either!
Ha ha! You boys! :P

Not sure I’m brave enough just yet to get the engine tuned, for fear of the effect on the warranty, not to mention the insurance... :?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Insurance on my GTS is £300 a year with the same hp as yours would be bumped to :)
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm
alxgb wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm
Ha ha! You boys! :P

Not sure I’m brave enough just yet to get the engine tuned, for fear of the effect on the warranty, not to mention the insurance... :?
Insurance companies and loss adjusters are the scum of the earth and if you lowered the car and had a claim, they would find some way to repudiate your claim on that basis. If the Litchfield tune is OBD, you should be able to revert to stock without trace.