Thinking of changing to a McLaren 570S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
antsjey

Post by antsjey »

My brother in law had a 570S for about a year or so with pros and cons.

Pros - The car is rapid, had a good comfy ride for something so low, lightweight feel and was pretty stunning to look at. Driving wise he couldn't fault it.

Cons - Sadly the car had corrosion, and apparently loads of 570S's have it. It affected nearly all of the panels and had to get them all replaced. The car was only 1 year old and had 4k miles on it when purchased. At the bodyworks company, turns out there were loads of McLarens waiting for parts for similar problems. Parts were again an issue, 3 months average delay for panels.

To cut a long story short he ended up with McLaren buying the car back off him at a reduced rate and combined with the scary amount it had already dropped in the market, he took a big hit to get out of the car.
Other cons are the high servicing costs, lack of dealers around, no courtesy cars and just a lacklustre service in his experience.

Thankfully he didn't jump into a 720S last summer at the 230k mark, similar cars are now around the 180k mark.
Whilst it's not all about money, that is a scary amount of money to lose in a short time.

However, if you found a well priced model (I think they are pushing 110k now) free of corrosion etc, it is a performance bargain as long as you can live with other shortfalls in experience.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Charles.

Watch the latest edition of The Grand Tour it may help you decide upon a different Maclaren model.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 am Thanks for the info. An acquaintance bought a 570S for a few months as a way into a 600LT which he's just had delivered so I hope to have a look at it soon. I won't rule out a 911 but Porsche have got a bit silly with supply on their premium models and I'm not sure I can be bothered.
The debate about premium models I think is magnified by forum moaners who couldn't get a car and are disproportionately vocal. There is so much misinformation around how to buy a GT car and everyone does seem to like to have a good whinge - my experience flies entirely in the face of it all and I have never done backhanders, bought 100 cars a year or anything of that sort.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 am I will probably do about 6K miles / year and one or two track sessions. The mileage on most of the GT3 RS cars is criminal! 34 of the 40 991 GT3RS cars on Pistonheads have done < 5K miles.
I know, since the speculators have been buying Porsche GT models, it has gone the way of Ferrari in that high mileage means the odometer has broken four figures and people are terrified of driving them for fear of writing off value. I only sold mine due to the frustration of the roads where I live and for the fact that the car would become less desirable for resale set against a market full of garage queen choices.

I'm not sure what your budget is but I'd consider a 981 Spyder and a 991.2 GT3 Clubsport as a pretty unbeatable pair.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Alex, congrats on doing 11k miles in the GT3 RS. As you say, must be some kind of record, and a good one! :)

Over what time did you cover that mileage? My T is a more mundane daily driver, but I’ve just racked up 12k miles in 9.5 months.

Interested to hear about you grounding the nose of the RS. Am considering having my T lowered, but concerned about practicality for a daily driver. :?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am Alex, congrats on doing 11k miles in the GT3 RS. As you say, must be some kind of record, and a good one! :)

Over what time did you cover that mileage? My T is a more mundane daily driver, but I’ve just racked up 12k miles in 9.5 months.

Interested to hear about you grounding the nose of the RS. Am considering having my T lowered, but concerned about practicality for a daily driver. :?
Hello Simon

It was just over 10.5k. 6 months as I got the car in June. I've done Wales (four times, my accountant is in Conwy and was bemused by the sudden need for in person meetings), Scotland (massive Western isles round trip and NC500), Lake District, Peak District, North Yorkshire Moors, Devon/Exeter then a big European road trip > Spain/Portugal/France/Germany/Belgium. Hit Portimao, Spa (I didn't have the stones to go flat out through Eau Rouge). Been up to North Norfolk for coffee and breakfast about half a dozen Sundays and over to Southwold a few times for dinner. I've daily driven it a few times plus several trips in and out of London which is about 180 miles round trip. 3 sets of 325 section rear tyres in that time. 2 new front splitters despite being careful. 1 new windscreen due to a stone that hit like a meteor out of nowhere.

It's a stunning car, the fastest and most thrilling car I have ever and am likely to ever own but it is a track car. It's just so formidable. The noise at 9k RPM is addictive but to keep it at that level, you can't. It's a track focused car and absolutely too fast for the road. I think the previous generation was better on road but then didn't fare as well in track tests.

The RS is rigid and low, I think that's how I ended up scraping it. I am very careful but I didn't put the lift on it - extra weight and cost but I think the small amount of lift it gives does make a difference. If I had kept the car, I'd take it to RUF and have them put a lift in. Don't think you'll have an issue with the T, the nose profile is much shallower I think but I did break the black plastic lip on the RS - I didn't ground the painted splitter. Parts just treat the black lip as a consumable - the service manager said that it's there to take the abuse and it's cheaper to replace and fit a new one than it is to fix a shattered splitter and paint.

Why do you want to lower it out of interest? Aesthetic or performance?

EDIT: Forgot to add - if you're worried about clearance getting into garages or anything, you could always use Race Ramps - ultra light and pop them in the front boot.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Alex.

Wow - over 10,500 in 6 months in a 991.2 GT3 RS! Heroic! :)

Good for you! Dr Porsche would be smiling! ;)

Lowering the T? Primarily aesthetic. Just call me Mr Bling (as I’m sure some do)! :oops:

I saw the modifications that Litchfield did to their T. Akrapovic exhaust, tuned engine and tweaked suspension with new springs. I think theirs is 20mm lower at the front and 10mm lower at the rear, in relation to Sport PASM.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

I take my hat off to you Alex - that is very impressive indeed!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm Thanks, Alex.

Wow - over 10,500 in 6 months in a 991.2 GT3 RS! Heroic! :)

Good for you! Dr Porsche would be smiling! ;)

Lowering the T? Primarily aesthetic. Just call me Mr Bling (as I’m sure some do)! :oops:

I saw the modifications that Litchfield did to their T. Akrapovic exhaust, tuned engine and tweaked suspension with new springs. I think theirs is 20mm lower at the front and 10mm lower at the rear, in relation to Sport PASM.

Cheers,

Simon
We'll call you Mr Bling when you start posting questions about where you can chrome the wheels! :lol:

I saw the Litchfield car somewhere and thought of you - glad it hadn't escaped your attention.

TBH, I don't think you're going to gain much from lowering it - I know that they experimented with things like spacers and so on in the development of the tune so might be worth speaking to them and seeing what they suggest.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

VanB wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 pm I take my hat off to you Alex - that is very impressive indeed!
It was a very enjoyable six months and it didn't cost me a penny given the price I was paid for it - fuel, tyres, everything. It's the only time I can say that but then I have to calculate what got me to the position of getting one. I mean, I lost £6k on the Macan GTS that I didn't get on with after I ditched it two months into ownership. :evil:

After I sold the RS, my wife told me to get something practical, 'like a Golf'. So I did. I bought a MKVII GTI Clubsport S. The look I got when she saw inside and realised I had bought an 'RS' Golf. :lol: Chassis development was led by Karsten Schebsdat who was formerly head of GT car performance at Porsche Motorsport in Weissach. It's the best FWD drive car I have ever driven and it's so much fun on B-roads where I live. I swear it's as quick as the RS on A/B roads.

How is your 911 treating you? I see it's still in your profile picture so I'm assuming you're still enjoying it?