Speed Limits

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

My observation over the years is that most people (like maybe 8 out of 10 drivers) don't respect 30 mph limits and drive through them closer to 40 mph, especially the 40 mph single speeders! When I set my cruise control to drive through our local villages at 30 mph, it's never long before I find someone tailgating me and if someone has been getting in my way on the 60 mph stretch of open road on approach to the village, it's almost inevitable they will drive away from me in the 30 mph zone. My only conclusion is that most people simply don't respect 30 zones, even those who wouldn't normally break the 60 or 70 limits.

On the motorway I'd say it is closer to 50/50 in terms of people driving at or under 70 mph vs those speeding and now with more cameras around and stiffer penalties you don't see too many ton plus cruisers. I'd say the natural flow on the motorway is closer to 80 than 70 unless very busy.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Without a doubt, the average speed on a motorway today is nearer to 80 than 70. Nothing wrong with that, so long as folk drive sensibly, including moving to the lane to their left whenever practical. Cars nowadays have much better tyres & brakes etc than when the 70mph speed limit was originally introduced.

Even the cameras on 'smart motorways' seem to tolerate drivers doing an indicated 80mph, given that most speedos over-estimate the speed of the car.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 am My observation over the years is that most people (like maybe 8 out of 10 drivers) don't respect 30 mph limits and drive through them closer to 40 mph, especially the 40 mph single speeders! When I set my cruise control to drive through our local villages at 30 mph, it's never long before I find someone tailgating me and if someone has been getting in my way on the 60 mph stretch of open road on approach to the village, it's almost inevitable they will drive away from me in the 30 mph zone. My only conclusion is that most people simply don't respect 30 zones, even those who wouldn't normally break the 60 or 70 limits.

On the motorway I'd say it is closer to 50/50 in terms of people driving at or under 70 mph vs those speeding and now with more cameras around and stiffer penalties you don't see too many ton plus cruisers. I'd say the natural flow on the motorway is closer to 80 than 70 unless very busy.
My bugbear in villages. I call them my village "heroes". 40 mph whatever the signed limit. I believe it's the drivers on cruise control, having conversations or a 3 course meal in their cars. Some drivers just take the p. and will flash you wildly when you pass them on a national speed limit road and they are still doing 40. The same people flash you again when they catch up with you in the next 30mph zone and they are cruising up to your bumpber, still at 40. I find driving standards shockingly bad especially around school run times. And don't get me started on lane discipline. Sorry I digress, speed limits....
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
VanB

Post by VanB »

Lane discipline is appalling and I also concur that 80 seems to be what most people drive at on the motorway. I am forever getting stuck behind some old fart (and I am not young) on a motorway slip road doing 40 and I think it's bloody dangerous joining a motorway at 40 when most people are doing 80
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm Lane discipline is appalling and I also concur that 80 seems to be what most people drive at on the motorway. I am forever getting stuck behind some old fart (and I am not young) on a motorway slip road doing 40 and I think it's bloody dangerous joining a motorway at 40 when most people are doing 80
At least those are on the slip road in the correct direction of the motorway travel, be thankful! :lol: ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
VanB

Post by VanB »

Semerka wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm Lane discipline is appalling and I also concur that 80 seems to be what most people drive at on the motorway. I am forever getting stuck behind some old fart (and I am not young) on a motorway slip road doing 40 and I think it's bloody dangerous joining a motorway at 40 when most people are doing 80
At least those are on the slip road in the correct direction of the motorway travel, be thankful! :lol: ;)
Semerka - the voice of reason! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I go as fast as conditions allow although I do respect Urban speed limits around schools etc. I was the victim of a speeding drunk driver some years ago. Speed is only one factor in today's shocking standards of driving, slow is as dangerous as too fast. With over 38 million cars registered on the UK roads, we are running out of clear roads to do any sort of speed.
The TV motoring shows and mags all seem to find clear roads when they are testing cars, not the congestion we all find in the real world. I think the Motorways should 80 mph but you'd be lucky to find a stretch to do it on south of Knutsford.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I have a 30mph road outside my house, which due to local developments has become way busier, with some blatant displays of speeding (I would estimate 50mph in some cases?).

Had to complain (again) to the Council about a faulty VAS (Vehicle Activated Speed) device, but it turned out, the batteries had gone flat in about 3 days (rather than 3 weeks) due to the number of activations! Their answer was to remove the device altogether!

Apparently it takes a death to occur before they will consider stringent speed control measures. What an utter joke.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:39 pm
The TV motoring shows and mags all seem to find clear roads when they are testing cars, not the congestion we all find in the real world.
I think that some of the more remote rural roads of Wales seem to be a popular choice for motoring journalists and their cameramen.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Education, education, education!

I believe that in Oz, where you can walk into a test centre and take a test without any lead time, they employ a computer program that simulates several year’s experience within just a few hours, and can randomly throw up different scenarios.

Albeit driving manners in Oz leave something to be desired and there are punitive speed limits, driver education is much more sophisticated. Surely this sort of system could be used to mutual benefit at both ends of the age spectrum.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀