Speed Limits

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

I wouldn't have an issue with a regular retest of all drivers, especially with rapidly changing tech and road rules. More timely updates to the highway code are also needed in my opinion along with the much wider introduction of minimum speed limits (subject to there being smart signage to override this if conditions require) to help keep traffic flowing.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

They have trialled cameras in Sydney, Oz, to catch the phone users while driving. Over 11,000 were caught in one month.
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Slightly off topic, but I sometimes use the cruise control to slow the car down from cruising at 40 mph to cruising at 30 mph when the speed limit changes. Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when the cruise control is used to slow the car in these circumstances?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ray G wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:08 pm Slightly off topic, but I sometimes use the cruise control to slow the car down from cruising at 40 mph to cruising at 30 mph when the speed limit changes. Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when the cruise control is used to slow the car in these circumstances?
Yes, if the car uses it’s brakes then the lights come on. If the natural road resistance is enough to slow the car then no.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Speed limits anywhere in the world are arbitrarily imposed to raise revenue under the banner of safety. Driving like an utter cock at 50mph on a motorway is more likely to get you and others killed than driving at 80mph with due care and skill. Resources should be ploughed into learner driver education and advanced driving courses (which should be mandatory for everyone on an annual basis).

In the end, Governments will always be lazy. They will never find a way to enforce qualitative aspects of driving. They will revert to quantitative measures and say it's safer. Utter bollocks.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I totally agree with the ethnic angle, tongue in cheek. But when you see someone driving the wrong way, along a dual carriageway or motorway. it will either be the very old age, or villains trying to evade the police. There is bad, no, dreadful driving everywhere.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Well, I disagree with all generalisations: ethnic, sexist, badge’ist, or otherwise... all mentioned above groups have people that shouldn’t be allowed to do XYZ, but we have to live with them, so lets deal with the problem areas or specific people, not the circumstances, or worse, lets not vilify the whole group.

Another emerging trend is to blame inanimate objects, e.g. this treacherous road killed innocent motorists (no, it was irresponsible motorist!), the truck killed innocent pedestrians (no, it was xxx driver!); or my favourite, the food made me fat, lets sue the company that made it, or perhaps ban spoons, forks and knives to make it more difficult for them!

It’s insanity to expect miscreants to respond favourably to new regulation. Deal with the offender, not general circumstances and then take privileges away from the rest of population.
Last edited by Pivot on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Pivot, well The Duke of Edinburgh (who's not even Scottish) would probably agree with you.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
VanB

Post by VanB »

Well how depressingly disappointing that anyone could think of bringing ethnicity into this conversation. That is terribly sad and does the forum a huge disservice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

SAC1 wrote:Pivot, well The Duke of Edinburgh (who's not even Scottish) would probably agree with you.
Re the Duke, I feel for the old man; as his staff, friends and family, didn’t manage to convince him that at his age, he should get ‘James’ to take him for a ride.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4