Speed Limits

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:08 pm
pmg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am
TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am To Col and pmg, I can almost certainly guarentee if you see a driver coming towards you at a slow speed on the wrong side of the road, dual carriageway or motorway, it will be a driver of some serious age. That is, if it's not a foreign driver who has momentarily forgot, they are on the wrong side.
and the age of the driver coming towards you at the high speed on the wrong side of the road.....???
Wrong

Where I live the person likely to be doing that is young and of an ethnic minority

It has happened to me or I have observed stupid driving so many times its ridiculous and it is always the same ethnic minority that make up the vast majority of these.

Picture this, two lanes approaching a set if traffic lights, where the left lane turns left and right turns right, traffic coming towards me is in a single lane and there is 200m of a queue. A car at the back of the queue then pulled out then pulled out into my lane and drove towards me, just where she was going is anyones guess, I had to move to me left to avoid her as she did not slow down, in my rear mirror I then saw her force her way back into her lane after she gained all of 150m.

Another set of traffic lights, two lanes left lane goes left or straight ahead, right lane has to turn right. As lights change guy in right lane turns left.

Another set of traffic lights, two lanes guy in Beamer next to me wants to race, I let him, he sets off by flooring it and goes over a blind bridge at about 60mph, it is a 30 mph zone.

Taxi driver, crawling along at 20 mph in a 40 mph zone texting.

Driver turning into my cul de sac fails to stay on their side of the road and I have to take avoiding action.

Driver on road in a residential 20mph zone and fails to stay on their side of road on a bend and I have to drive onto the pavement to avoid being in an accident.

Driver fails to turn enough as they turn into my cul de sac and crashes into lamppost

The list goes on.

Common factor all an ethnic minority.

I am not being racist its just an observation of all the stupid driver actions that I see where I live and that 90% of those actions are by members of the ethnic minority. The worst being young males in their Beamers and Mercs.

When I did a spell being a Driving Instructor, the more seasoned ones used to say (1) teach one ethnic minority to drive and you have taught the whole family or (2) one license per household. I have sanitised what they actually used to say.

So its not the old that are the problem where I live it is a full age range.
😱

I’d be deleting this if I’d posted it........
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Ageism, racism, and more often than not, sexism. All in a day's work on this forum :(
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm Well how depressingly disappointing that anyone could think of bringing ethnicity into this conversation. That is terribly sad and does the forum a huge disservice
+1. :( :cry:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 am Reducing speed limits is almost always NOT the answer. Evidence is already emerging that the widespread 20 mph limits are not reducing injury but in some cases have actually increased. Few collisions are caused by speed alone. Virtually all are caused by driver error, and that is down to incompetence, inattention, attitude and many other human factors. But reducing speed limits is easy and cheap for the authorities and politicians to implement so that they can be seen to be doing something.

If we really want to address the issue we will have to spend considerably more on driver education and testing, roads engineering and maintenance, and engagement of the driving population. All rather long term and expensive and this is why our politicians are so keen to introduce autonomous vehicles.
Very well said! 8-)

I understand that the speed limit reduction had already been on the cards for that bit of A149 even before the duke's accident, that just speeded up the implementation (no pun intended :lol: ).
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

The 20mph limit invites stupidity by some pedestrians. Crossing the road without looking as their rationale must be that it's "easy" to stop a car from said speed. I have now encountered a number of fools who knowingly cross the road right in front of you because they think you will stop. WTF - they even looked to make eye contact.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
pmg

Post by pmg »

Pivot wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:23 pm
SAC1 wrote:Pivot, well The Duke of Edinburgh (who's not even Scottish) would probably agree with you.
Re the Duke, I feel for the old man; as his staff, friends and family, didn’t manage to convince him that at his age, he should get ‘James’ to take him for a ride.
He is a Greek. It is born into them at Birth to be independent, not let others tell them what to do or not to pay taxes!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

At the risk of being ageist... we all been 20 and many of us will live well over 80. Neither groups are the best drivers around. Autonomous vehicles... bring it on!

I recall, having to get my parents write a letter, allowing me to have a motorcycle license at a young age of 16 (what were they thinking [emoji41]). In a similar way, at an old age, people tend to regress... and what if people at the age of +80 should have a similar clearance from their family, stating that they are comfortable that they are fit to drive.

I am aware that it is somewhat naive view, but it worked in 1960/70s. I would prefer this simple family clearance, rather than a complex red-tape process that would only drive costs and inefficiency.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm Well how depressingly disappointing that anyone could think of bringing ethnicity into this conversation. That is terribly sad and does the forum a huge disservice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Speed limits in the modern age are set to accomiodate the worst drivers. If the speed limit was 5mph there would be few if any deaths on the road.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just as an observation - I live near to the M6 between J16 & J19. Over the past 3 years we have endured reduced lane widths and a 50 mph limit while the contractors change this stretch to 'Managed Motorway' (previously called Smart Motorway). We have an ambulance and fire station round the corner from our house and hardly a day goes by without them both being called to a serious accident on the M6.

The reduced speed and lane width reduction has shown how poor general driving standards are.

On Saturday the stretch from J18 to J19 was fully opened, with a 60 mph temporary limit. There was a multi vehicle crash within 1 hour!! At least the new signs worked.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
RAA

Post by RAA »

I knocked down a young man who stepped out from behind a tall vehicle, without stopping and looking. That was about a year ago: luckily for him, I was only driving at 20 mph, and I DID stop. When will people learn ?! A cyclist at night with no lights will likely be next, I fear: again - their own fault, if it happens. I reckon 50% of cyclists in London don't have lights at night.