Macan GTS to new Cayenne S?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Philp

Post by Philp »

Hi All

I have another kid on the way and am therefore toying with ordering a well specc’d new cayenne s.

I love the way the GTS can be a sensible family cruiser and then once I get rid of wife and kids i can hit a couple of buttons and turn it in to a bit of a beast and chase the shotgun like bangs on upshifts which never fail to make me smile.

So I am wondering who on here has driven both and can comment on whether in terms of speed (0-60 is same for both), exhaust note and general driving experience I am going to be disappointed getting in to a cayenne S?

Also can’t see on current configurater there is a sports exhaust option for cayenne which is an absolute must for me.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Philp,

Congrats on the impending new arrival! :)

I'm sure the Macan is the sportier SUV of the two.

If PSE is a 'must have' for you, and if it's not available on the Cayenne, I'd definitely stick with the Macan GTS.

(I have just checked configurator, and can't see PSE as an option either.)

In fact I'd stick with the Macan, unless you really, really need that little bit more space inside.

Cheers
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hi Philp, not owned a Cayenne but a few on here have and I'm sure can give their first hand views. However I did have the same thoughts as you sometime back and my SE arranged a couple of demo vehicles to live with over a few days. Great extra space but that additional bulk I just found translated to much poorer overall driving pleasure when compared to my Macan. I didn't try the Cayenne as a Turbo version which I know is very quick, but handling by comparison? I binned the idea but my recommendation would be to get your OPC to give you one or two for a few days and see for yourself. Good luck 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
VanB

Post by VanB »

I'm sure that the extra space would be very useful with a new arrival (congrats by the way) but I think you would miss the Macan a great deal so if you can make it work for you I'd stick with it. I looked at a Cayenne too when I bought my Macan GTS and found it very dull to drive by comparison although very nicely appointed inside. As MikeM says the extra bulk really does detract from the driving experience.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Philp

Post by Philp »

Thanks for the advice and it’s pointing in the direction of what I probably know is the right thing ie stick with GTS. I’m sure I can make it work fine from a space perspective and might need to invest in roof box for occasional trip I need more room.

A friend of a friend works at BMW so I am getting an M5 loaner this weekend which will be fun to try
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Enjoy the M5! A whole different ball game! But less storage/boot space than the Macan! ;)

Good luck with your choice! :)

By the way, we enjoy pics & reviews of cars other than Macans on here, so do feel free to share some M5 pics and your driving impressions!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Taz

Post by Taz »

I had two Cayennes before the current Macan Turbo. The first Cayenne was a 3 litre diesel which was comfortable but disappointing, however the next one with the V8 diesel was fantastic. True it wallowed a little when pushed hard down twisty lanes but the engine was superb and as a means of demolishing long distances it was superb.

Modern traffic conditions limit the times and places where you can emulate your racing hero whereas long (and getting longer) journeys on motorways and clogged up A roads are becoming more the norm.

Why did I swap my Cayenne for the Macan - because I wanted some extra excitement, but sadly the roads have generally diluted that away and at times I wish I had kept my Cayenne.

I will probably trade in the Macan when the new Cayenne coupe goes on sale, hopefully at the end of this year.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Taz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:47 pm I had two Cayennes before the current Macan Turbo. The first Cayenne was a 3 litre diesel which was comfortable but disappointing, however the next one with the V8 diesel was fantastic. True it wallowed a little when pushed hard down twisty lanes but the engine was superb and as a means of demolishing long distances it was superb.

Modern traffic conditions limit the times and places where you can emulate your racing hero whereas long (and getting longer) journeys on motorways and clogged up A roads are becoming more the norm.

Why did I swap my Cayenne for the Macan - because I wanted some extra excitement, but sadly the roads have generally diluted that away and at times I wish I had kept my Cayenne.

I will probably trade in the Macan when the new Cayenne coupe goes on sale, hopefully at the end of this year.
I'd second that Taz. I had a Cayenne diesel followed by a Cayenne Petrol S, the first was great for cruising but the second was even better (with the PSE). I have scratched the itch of a Macan but miss the room in the Cayenne to be honest. I'll get my monies worth from this Macan but expect my next car to be a variant of the new Cayenne, possibly the new Coupe or perhaps the GTS when it is out.

By the way Philp, have you considered waiting for the Cayenne GTS.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Philp

Post by Philp »

Sure, will post some pics and thoughts of the M5.

Ray - yes that’s defo an option to wait for cayenne GTS. Just getting itchy finger but sticking with Macan for another year or so is best option.
Philp

Post by Philp »

Sure, will post some pics and thoughts of the M5.

Ray - yes that’s defo an option to wait for cayenne GTS. Just getting itchy finger but sticking with Macan for another year or so is best option.