Macan GTS to new Cayenne S?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Triple7

Post by Triple7 »

My vote would be an RRS SVR, has all the space, noise and stature you’ll ever need! 😉
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
Ordered: 2019 992 C4S in Jet Black.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!

wilko

Post by wilko »

The cayenne s is massively faster than the macan has once moving.
The pedi box’s launch control gives a huge advantage in the 0-60 sprint, but the cayenne s is more Macan Turbo than gts once moving.
Look at 60-100mph times as they’re much more relevant than the traffic light sprint.

The macan feels more sporty, but won’t be any quicker over the ground, and is much less refined as a cruiser/daily runner.
I’ve gone from Macan Turbo to base cayenne, after trying a new macan and a cayenne in base and s forms. (And hybrid)
If I could have had a hybrid in any kind of reasonable time, it’s the way I would have gone, but the difference between the base and s just didn’t justify the £10k extra.

Maybe I’m just getting old, but the cayenne seems much more grown up to me than the macan, and it’s a huge leap forward from the old one.

If I want something realy sporty, I’ll buy a cayman to run for weekend fun.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Philp wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm Hi All

I have another kid on the way and am therefore toying with ordering a well specc’d new cayenne s.

I love the way the GTS can be a sensible family cruiser and then once I get rid of wife and kids i can hit a couple of buttons and turn it in to a bit of a beast and chase the shotgun like bangs on upshifts which never fail to make me smile.

So I am wondering who on here has driven both and can comment on whether in terms of speed (0-60 is same for both), exhaust note and general driving experience I am going to be disappointed getting in to a cayenne S?

Also can’t see on current configurater there is a sports exhaust option for cayenne which is an absolute must for me.
Hi Philip

I've had several Macans, including a turbo and recently the OPC lent me a new Cayenne S for the day. I wasn't expecting to say this but I found the new Cayenne S a better car all round than the Macan - drove and handled superbly and I liked the extra interior space particularly the rear seats. If I was choosing a new Porsche SUV - I'd probably buy the Cayenne e-hybrid.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Philp

Post by Philp »

re the RRS SVR I love the soundtrack but it’s such a thirsty car I think that would put me off. Averaging 19 mpg in the Macan GTS and id probably be looking at not far off half that given my wife does a lot of town driving. Think after the initial love affair it would start to grate on me.

Interesting thoughts from Wilko on cayenne s being closer to Macan Turbo and from Arif. I might give one a go but aside from being an accomplished car (I’m sure technologically and comfort wise it has moved the game on being newer) it would have to have the sporty feel (and noise) of Macan GTS for me to be interested.

Hybrid wouldn’t work for me as live in terraced house in west London
Triple7

Post by Triple7 »

Philp wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 am re the RRS SVR I love the soundtrack but it’s such a thirsty car I think that would put me off. Averaging 19 mpg in the Macan GTS and id probably be looking at not far off half that given my wife does a lot of town driving. Think after the initial love affair it would start to grate on me.

Interesting thoughts from Wilko on cayenne s being closer to Macan Turbo and from Arif. I might give one a go but aside from being an accomplished car (I’m sure technologically and comfort wise it has moved the game on being newer) it would have to have the sporty feel (and noise) of Macan GTS for me to be interested.

Hybrid wouldn’t work for me as live in terraced house in west London
Go drive one, petrol really is the cheapest part of the equation.....
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
Ordered: 2019 992 C4S in Jet Black.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thanks SAC1 - I think that it will be my next purchase.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ potentially mine too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
eakae

Post by eakae »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am Cayenne Coupe update:
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-por ... e=20190131
Not much love on the PH website for the Cayenne Coupe :shock:
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm Hi Philp,

Congrats on the impending new arrival! :)

I'm sure the Macan is the sportier SUV of the two.

If PSE is a 'must have' for you, and if it's not available on the Cayenne, I'd definitely stick with the Macan GTS.

(I have just checked configurator, and can't see PSE as an option either.)

In fact I'd stick with the Macan, unless you really, really need that little bit more space inside.

Cheers
PSE is available, the UK configurator just hasn't been updated yet and doesn't include all the colours either. My new Cayenne due next month is Quarzite grey and has options like the extendable tow bar and black sport exhaust tips, none of which are shown in the UK configurator. Use the Australian version to see all the options. Macan does handle better, but there isn't a huge amount in it compared with the new Cayenne.

Cowan
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo