Hill Start & Parking

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Vickyb

Post by Vickyb »

Hi,

I dont wish to worry you but I had the exact same problem, I thought it may be the transfer box but have just been told i need a new gearbox which is being fitted now , they did the pdk reset and the gearbox callibration and nothing worked.

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Vickyb wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:58 pm I dont wish to worry you but I had the exact same problem, I thought it may be the transfer box but have just been told i need a new gearbox which is being fitted now , they did the pdk reset and the gearbox callibration and nothing worked.
Can I know model, year, mileage please?
Vickyb

Post by Vickyb »

Hi its a 2016 model and has 40,000 on the clock, to be honest im going to put a post on this site as i need some advice over the way I have been treated byPorsche
AJ99

Post by AJ99 »

I too have a story to tell about the way that Porsche, dealt with my particular problem, which does not reflect well.
There is so much to say, but I will have to create a summary to get my point across.

How did they respond to your problem?
Scotsgraham

Post by Scotsgraham »

I recently acquired my 2017 S D model, and - not being a lover of DSG/S-Tronic type gearboxes - thought the PDK was a proper auto. The Test Drive of course avoided any hills or town running, so it was not until after I took delivery of the car that I discovered how appalling it was on hill starts, or when parking at slow speeds. OK, the Stop Start didn't help (more of that another time!), but edging out of a T-junction on a hill, or even reversing up a gentle incline onto my driveway, the normal reaction was ever-increasing throttle with no response, then - BAM! - launch control takes over, accompanied by shuddering of the transmission and a gearbox moving from 1 to 2 to 1 to …..

Anyway, I've just attended a "Masterclass" (?!) at the supplying dealer, who despatched their Senior Technician on a Test Drive with me. He stops at a junction, reverses uphill into a side road - and no juddering! He pointed out the "HOLD" light in the speedo dial. Hang on, what's that I say? I'd read the manual, understood how to apply the HillHold control by flooring the brake pedal, but this was something I never wanted to use. What I didn't understand is that on gradients over 5% (I believe), Hill Hold comes on automatically. And in such situations, I'm generally looking around for other traffic, or for external obstacles when reversing into a space/driveway, not at the dashboard. So in 2 months I had NEVER seen the illuminated Green "HOLD" light come on in the dashboard! His suggestion on combatting this was to gently apply the throttle enough to extinguish the light, in so doing disengaging the brakes (at least after a second or two), then using the throttle as normal to move away. OK, there's still a lack of linear response between the throttle opening and actual progress, but doing this has significantly improved progress away from hill starts etc. Yes, it wouldn't be necessary if the darn electronics didn't take over, but at least knowing what is happening has allowed me to adapt to the issue (and hopefully extend the life of the transmission!). Still not a patch on a manual gearbox, and not even enough to make up for a gearchange that is superb once on the move, but then I suppose I have to move into the 21st Century!

As for the Stop Start, I've coded the "one-shot/home" button on the left hand side of the steering wheel to switch this off every time - yes, I know the button on the centre console is easy, but I always forget until the stupid thing switches off just when I stop to reverse into a parking bay!

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem - and prevents them hating driving it, as I did initially!
2017 Macan S D Night Blue Metallic PDLS PASM Panoramic Roof 14 way memory seats 75 litre fuel19" wheels BOSE
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I can’t say I have ever had a problem with hill hold in any of my three Macan SDs. My current car is my 5th PDK car and I don’t even think about hill starts even though we have some pretty steep hills here in the Pennines.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
+1 (but only 2 Macans....)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

No issues whatsoever with the Macan or the PDK 981 before it..................

Strange. Take up smooth, progressive, controllable....
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'