Hill Start & Parking

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
daborg

Post by daborg »

I recently bought a Macan S Diesel - 33k miles.

I've read a bit about transfer box issues and the Ackermann steering effect.

I do get the latter problem, which seems normal given the cold weather and that it's running P Zero summer tyres.

The bit I can't work out is that it tends to lurch at parking speeds, I know it's a torquey engine, but it's either revving and doing nothing, or lurching forwards/backwards which makes parking difficult.

The bigger issue is hill starts unless I coordinate them perfectly, it will just rev as if it's in neutral and rolls back when I let my foot off the brake. I am not using the hand brake and am leaving it in gear.

I've not experienced anything like it in any other automatic with brake hold. I usually find new cars very easy to drive, but this has been a bit 'clunky' at low-speed manoeuvres.

happy days

Post by happy days »

What you describe seems to me to be - normal in reverse - abnormal going forward. If you give the brake pedal a firm shove, a green 'hold' indicator will come on in the dash binnacle. This will keep the car from rolling backward or forward until you depress the accelerator to drive away. It should be flawless.

I agree that reverse is a PITA. You do need to rev the engine a bit to get it moving. Slow rear progress is rather difficult I find. It helps if you engage sport mode though!
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Might be worth doing a PDK reset, procedure here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5116&p=165518&hili ... et#p165518
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
daborg

Post by daborg »

Thanks all - will try PDK reset. Gearbox is great at speeds, just feels off and lumpy at low speed. Like the throttle mapping is out.

I'll report back.
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

daborg wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am Thanks all - will try PDK reset. Gearbox is great at speeds, just feels off and lumpy at low speed. Like the throttle mapping is out.

I'll report back.
You might try Sports mode with Comfort setting around town...seems to be the preferred option (at least for a few of us) :D
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Re hill starts; left foot on the brake is not necessary (or recommended.) if you’re on an incline the car will sense this and the “hold” function will automatically activate to prevent rolling backwards. Alternatively, as Happy says, a little extra pressure on the brake pedal will also bring “hold” on (the little green light on the dash will confirm.) Pulling away involves simply accelerating and the brakes will release automatically.

Re reversing; yes, my old SD was a bit lurchy at slow speeds going backwards uphill. You get used to it😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
brains1900

Post by brains1900 »

You shouldn't have to I know, but you could try the off road button to help reduce the sensitivity for low speed manoeuvres.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Hill start using the electric handbrake is better than Hold. The latter can allow a little back slip which is disconcerting.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
daborg

Post by daborg »

I do find the back slip a little disconcerting.

I tried the PDK reset and was sceptical given the process, but it certainly works. Throttle mapping at low speeds seems so much better and I can park it much more easily.

It does occasionally do the Ackermann 'hop' when cold at low speed, but I put that down to cold summer tyres. If it could be that.
AJ99

Post by AJ99 »

Macan 2017 2.0 petrol PDK – Porsche Approved Used

When reversing slowly up a slight incline the Hill-hold comes on automatically , with a jolt that sounds like the car has jumped out of gear. The throttle is disabled, and the clutch I presume. In theory, pressing the throttle lightly should get the car moving again but, in my case, it is totally dead. I have to select N, and then back into R to clear the problem. It happens on a regular basis, on the rare occasions that I reverse up hill. On one occasion it happened when I tapped the brake during the manoeuvre.

To help me to gauge an opinion on this, has anyone else suffered this, OR do your throttles work as they should?

Other related issues

Like others, my throttle, at low speed is far from progressive, making slow speed movement difficult.
The car jolts when it changes from 1st to 2nd at slow speed, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Transfer box has been ruled out, unless it gets any worse. Hopefully not before the warranty runs out, otherwise I have been told it will not be covered, even though it has been reported long before. Warranty repairs can only be carried out if approved by the warranty company, and they have to be severe enough to justify expenditure. Gearbox has been recalibrated/reprogrammed/reset on two occasions, but no effect to date. It has recently been done again, but I am yet to try it out.