Macan BEV v Facelift

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Whatever version is coming out in 2022 is already well along the product design path, if typical historic timescales still apply. There will be rumours and speculation but it will be sometime before reliable information emerges.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:56 am Whatever version is coming out in 2022 is already well along the product design path
You would think so, but in these transitional times it appears that their future plans are more fluid than usual e.g. suddenly deciding to double their originally planned Taycan production. Yet they still seem undecided about the future of the 911 as far as the transition to EV goes. We could well end up with all kinds of parallel development programs if they hedge their bets. If I had to guess, I would say they are likely to go all out on EV SUVs and large GTs, while retaining a more ICE/hybrid approach with their sports cars.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Peteski wrote:
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:56 am Whatever version is coming out in 2022 is already well along the product design path
You would think so, but in these transitional times it appears that their future plans are more fluid than usual e.g. suddenly deciding to double their originally planned Taycan production. Yet they still seem undecided about the future of the 911 as far as the transition to EV goes. We could well end up with all kinds of parallel development programs if they hedge their bets. If I had to guess, I would say they are likely to go all out on EV SUVs and large GTs, while retaining a more ICE/hybrid approach with their sports cars.
I understand that Macan and Cayenne ‘print cash’ to pay for keeping the 911 legacy alive. So focus on EV in SUV segment which by the way can be amortised across the brands.

I would leave 911 as is for the enthusiasts that are willing to pay premium for the privilege. Just like automobiles replaced horse and carriage... we still love horses but we no longer ride them to the office in London.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1874

I was thinking simply that a large battery EV drivetrain lends itself more readily to larger vehicles i.e. Panamera, Macan, Cayenne as Porsche's chief engineer has already stated himself. It's more of a challenge to package a sports car with a long-range EV drivetrain at this point in time.
pmg

Post by pmg »

[quote

Not a very informative article then! I don't think their EV plan has had any bearing on why the Macan has just had a facelift, it would have been due for one regardless in its normal product lifecycle. The big question is whether or not Porsche will make only an EV Macan after 2022 or develop an alternative ICE/hybrid SUV platform in parallel. Obviously they would have to be completely different platforms and compete directly against each other in the market.
[/quote]

I was reading the article as much as you cantel from the translation as pure EV new 2022 Macan but with current facelift with little further development remaining on sale as long as demand (and I would add as long as legislation allows). Remember the taxes for exceeding emission targets/limits etc will increase
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:51 pm I was reading the article as much as you cantel from the translation as pure EV new 2022 Macan but with current facelift with little further development remaining on sale as long as demand (and I would add as long as legislation allows). Remember the taxes for exceeding emission targets/limits etc will increase
I can't see how a facelift 2014 model (a pretty conservative model as well) is going to survive beyond 2022. I read it as a delay in waiting until 2022 to release their full EV Macan and in the meantime soldiering on with the facelift ICE Macan, which by 2022 will be well past it's sell by date on any level. I would be very surprised if they try to market the old facelift ICE Macan alongside a brand spanking new EV Macan, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Neither does a further facelift to the ICE Macan, it would have to be an all new ICE/hybrid model to stand any chance of selling and I doubt they will choose to develop both platforms. I'm guessing Porsche will become VAG's premium EV brand in the SUV market, while VW and Audi continue to flog as many diesels, petrols and hybrids as they can get away with.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I like it, and the car as well although I firmly believe that a fuel cell is the way forward using hydrogen. My grandchildren will probably look back in amazement at the ICE and it's polluting exhaust. I shall be keeping my SD for a while. I was in an AMG GLC 43 yesterday, the twin turbo V6 petrol. It's quick but lacks the torque of a 3lt diesel plus it was registering 18 mpg.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am
Yet they still seem undecided about the future of the 911 as far as the transition to EV goes.
Yes, I cannot decide whether enough room behind rear axle for a low battery of adequate size. To put the battery weight anywhere else and to call the car a 911 would be sacrilege.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:16 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am
Yet they still seem undecided about the future of the 911 as far as the transition to EV goes.
Yes, I cannot decide whether enough room behind rear axle for a low battery of adequate size. To put the battery weight anywhere else and to call the car a 911 would be sacrilege.
They most definitely would not engineer it that way in an EV platform. It would end up being a 2+2 coupe with a similar weight distribution to a mid-engined sports car, with the battery taking up most of the floorpan area within the wheelbase. Maybe they wouldn't call it a 911 either, but that's for their marketing bods to decide.

I think we are far more likely to see a hybrid 911 as the next generation, rather than a full BEV
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Personally, I think if the Macan goes BEV in 2022 they will ditch ICE iterations of the model and simply release a variation of batteries and performance. It doesn't make any logical economic sense to keep 2 platforms in manufacture alongside each other. In fairness, a BEV Macan would be a compelling option, especially if it has fast charging and a half decent range and Porsche will have learnt a fair amount from the Taycan by then too.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate