Macan BEV v Facelift

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:50 pm Personally, I think if the Macan goes BEV in 2022 they will ditch ICE iterations of the model and simply release a variation of batteries and performance. It doesn't make any logical economic sense to keep 2 platforms in manufacture alongside each other. In fairness, a BEV Macan would be a compelling option, especially if it has fast charging and a half decent range and Porsche will have learnt a fair amount from the Taycan by then too.
+1 and by then there will be a lot more EV converts in this market and many more willing to give it a try.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:49 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:16 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am

Yet they still seem undecided about the future of the 911 as far as the transition to EV goes.

I think we are far more likely to see a hybrid 911 as the next generation, rather than a full BEV
+1. And I believe Porsche have said as much. They obviously have to tread carefully or run the risk of alienating their traditional market. Just look a the fuss and bother when the marque moved away from air cooled; made turbos only engines; introduced PDK. THE OUTCRY! And hence why the continue to offer manual options - eg the new GT4. Not a proper car etc!!

Trick will be predicting just how quickly the acceptance of EV takes hold. As you remarked they were clearly caught off-guard re Taycan orders.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:15 pm Trick will be predicting just how quickly the acceptance of EV takes hold. As you remarked they were clearly caught off-guard re Taycan orders.
Hopefully they will take a leaf out of Tesla's book and make vehicles compelling enough to drive their own demand. The Taycan may well do just that if they get it right.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

VanB wrote:Personally, I think if the Macan goes BEV in 2022 they will ditch ICE iterations of the model and simply release a variation of batteries and performance. It doesn't make any logical economic sense to keep 2 platforms in manufacture alongside each other. In fairness, a BEV Macan would be a compelling option, especially if it has fast charging and a half decent range and Porsche will have learnt a fair amount from the Taycan by then too.
My bet is that Porsche will make Macan ICE and EV in parallel for few years, milking fully depreciated tooling on the manufacturing line.

@VanB, you are correct from the 1st world perspective, where it will be increasingly difficult to justify buying ICE. However, from the global perspective, there are enough developing countries that have lesser emission controls and have enough wealth to buy no-longer desirable in Eurp models.
Not the best example, but VW used to produce Beetle in Brasil for decades after it was discontinued in Germany. South Africa still makes Golf mk1 called CitiGolf, as it has cult-following and sells it from the same showroom as Golf mk7.

Many car manufacturers sell diff emission level vehicles in diff countries. Why not make extra profit if it is available for grabs.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
VanB

Post by VanB »

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, Pivot but I do think that the growing pace of BEV adoption makes it more unlikely that Porsche would have any incentive to follow a multi-platform model. Anyway time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 pm
VanB wrote:Personally, I think if the Macan goes BEV in 2022 they will ditch ICE iterations of the model and simply release a variation of batteries and performance. It doesn't make any logical economic sense to keep 2 platforms in manufacture alongside each other. In fairness, a BEV Macan would be a compelling option, especially if it has fast charging and a half decent range and Porsche will have learnt a fair amount from the Taycan by then too.
My bet is that Porsche will make Macan ICE and EV in parallel for few years, milking fully depreciated tooling on the manufacturing line.

@VanB, you are correct from the 1st world perspective, where it will be increasingly difficult to justify buying ICE. However, from the global perspective, there are enough developing countries that have lesser emission controls and have enough wealth to buy no-longer desirable in Eurp models.
Not the best example, but VW used to produce Beetle in Brasil for decades after it was discontinued in Germany. South Africa still makes Golf mk1 called CitiGolf, as it has cult-following and sells it from the same showroom as Golf mk7.

Many car manufacturers sell diff emission level vehicles in diff countries. Why not make extra profit if it is available for grabs.
You could well be right, but personally I'm not interested in old models no longer feasible to sell in the UK.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Peteski wrote: You could well be right, but personally I'm not interested in old models no longer feasible to sell in the UK.
Suit you, Sir! [The Fast Show]

I was under the impression that this was a global forum.

Personally I hope that flat-six 911 lives well beyond EV directive of 2040, if I am still around.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 pm

You could well be right, but personally I'm not interested in old models no longer feasible to sell in the UK.
Your taste and feasibility to sell are two different things. I think you give the UK a little too much credit in respect of where it will be. Speaking to Europeans today, I am genuinely shocked at where their EV infrastructure currently sits compared to the UK's. With public finances no doubt to come under immense pressure after Brexit, the UK will only fall further behind in my opinion. Shame really. I mean that too, regardless of my EV views.
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm
I was under the impression that this was a global forum.
I'm not seeing many posters from third world countries here. Given that it's a .co.uk website I would say it's about 98% uk posters and a few ex-pats.
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Your taste and feasibility to sell are two different things. I think you give the UK a little too much credit in respect of where it will be. Speaking to Europeans today, I am genuinely shocked at where their EV infrastructure currently sits compared to the UK's. With public finances no doubt to come under immense pressure after Brexit, the UK will only fall further behind in my opinion. Shame really. I mean that too, regardless of my EV views.
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. To clarify I meant the feasibility of selling a 2014 release car after 2022. If they designed an all-new ICE Macan I have no doubt it would sell in the UK, but the current model is going to look ancient by that point. Whether or not it still sells in Africa or South America for a few more decades is largely irrelevant to me.

BTW I totally agree with your post Brexit UK regression!