Macan BEV v Facelift

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 am
GMAN75 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 pm

You could well be right, but personally I'm not interested in old models no longer feasible to sell in the UK.
Your taste and feasibility to sell are two different things. I think you give the UK a little too much credit in respect of where it will be. Speaking to Europeans today, I am genuinely shocked at where their EV infrastructure currently sits compared to the UK's. With public finances no doubt to come under immense pressure after Brexit, the UK will only fall further behind in my opinion. Shame really. I mean that too, regardless of my EV views.
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. To clarify I meant the feasibility of selling a 2014 release car after 2022. If they designed an all-new ICE Macan I have no doubt it would sell in the UK, but the current model is going to look ancient by that point. Whether or not it still sells in Africa or South America for a few more decades is largely irrelevant to me.

BTW I totally agree with your post Brexit UK regression!
I agree with that - no doubt. Hopefully though you don't see a couple with a .50 cal though sticking through the pano roof! :lol: Sorry...poor taste.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

So back to the original article, I don't think Porsche are intending to sell the facelift ICE Macan alongside their new EV Macan in 2022. I read it as being their short term solution i.e. 2019-2022. I haven't read anything that suggests there will be a new ICE Macan designed beyond that point. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if I had to bet I would say not.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:47 am So back to the original article, I don't think Porsche are intending to sell the facelift ICE Macan alongside their new EV Macan in 2022. I read it as being their short term solution i.e. 2019-2022. I haven't read anything that suggests there will be a new ICE Macan designed beyond that point. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if I had to bet I would say not.
Possible. But Porsche also once stated it would never build a SUV, as did Ferrari, as did Lamborghini, as did Rolls Royce, as did Bentley... . Things can change within the walls of car manufacturers and, all of them, would no doubt have hedges on future drivetrains. I think only Volvo has come out and said something stupid about going totally EV, only to backtrack shortly after that.
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am
Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:47 am So back to the original article, I don't think Porsche are intending to sell the facelift ICE Macan alongside their new EV Macan in 2022. I read it as being their short term solution i.e. 2019-2022. I haven't read anything that suggests there will be a new ICE Macan designed beyond that point. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if I had to bet I would say not.
Possible. But Porsche also once stated it would never build a SUV, as did Ferrari, as did Lamborghini, as did Rolls Royce, as did Bentley... . Things can change within the walls of car manufacturers and, all of them, would no doubt have hedges on future drivetrains. I think only Volvo has come out and said something stupid about going totally EV, only to backtrack shortly after that.
I have no doubt that Porsche/VAG are currently in complete confusion about their future product plans! But all I'm hearing about are accelerated plans to go into the EV market. Or maybe it's all just a load of BS?
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am
I have no doubt that Porsche/VAG are currently in complete confusion about their future product plans! But all I'm hearing about are accelerated plans to go into the EV market. Or maybe it's all just a load of BS?
No, I don't think it is BS at all. It's just what their other plans may look like alongside the EV lineup. All these guys play their cards notoriously close to their chest!
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am

No, I don't think it is BS at all. It's just what their other plans may look like alongside the EV lineup. All these guys play their cards notoriously close to their chest!
The dilemma as always when turning to EV will be in selling internally competing products. It's not like diesel vs petrol where you can just pop in a different motor in the same platform, EV requires it's very own platform to engineer it properly. EVs like the e-Golf based on an existing ICE platform will simply not cut it against bespoke designed EVs. It looks like BMW are considering an ICE/EV compatible platform in the near future, but it will inevitably involve potentially crippling compromise.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Unlike say Audi, Porsche has a very limited model range so it wouldn’t make sense having an ICE model (Q5/Q8) and an equivalent EV model (E-Tron). I think it’s going to have to choose which of those platforms it’s going to base the next Macan on and if I was a betting man I’d go with the Macan being built on the E-Tron platform. Porsche can sprinkle their handling magic and heritage design cues and away we go.

So, personally I can’t see there being another ICE Macan after the current model runs its course. The world is rapidly becoming accepting of EV vehicles as the mainstream and this will be even more so by 2022. Cayenne, Macan, Panamera – I can see those all transitioning to EV power at some point in their product cycle. Followed soon after by the Boxster/Cayman and eventually even the 911 will have to succumb to the inevitable :cry: Would it even still be a 911? :roll:

Anyway, that’s my two penn’orth :geek:
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

If they hang the batteries 'way out' behind the rear axle, it may well be classed as a 'proper' 911?

;)
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

nsm3 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 pm If they hang the batteries 'way out' behind the rear axle, it may well be classed as a 'proper' 911?

;)

:D :lol:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... -batteries
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Panthera wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 pm Unlike say Audi, Porsche has a very limited model range so it wouldn’t make sense having an ICE model (Q5/Q8) and an equivalent EV model (E-Tron). I think it’s going to have to choose which of those platforms it’s going to base the next Macan on and if I was a betting man I’d go with the Macan being built on the E-Tron platform. Porsche can sprinkle their handling magic and heritage design cues and away we go.

So, personally I can’t see there being another ICE Macan after the current model runs its course. The world is rapidly becoming accepting of EV vehicles as the mainstream and this will be even more so by 2022. Cayenne, Macan, Panamera – I can see those all transitioning to EV power at some point in their product cycle. Followed soon after by the Boxster/Cayman and eventually even the 911 will have to succumb to the inevitable :cry: Would it even still be a 911? :roll:

Anyway, that’s my two penn’orth :geek:
Here are 2 relatively recent articles. A full EV 911 isn't on the cards. SUVs are but haven't, it seems, been denominated as Macan or Cayenne yet.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... sports-car

https://www.autonews.com/article/201803 ... owered-911