Macan BEV v Facelift

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Panthera wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 pm Unlike say Audi, Porsche has a very limited model range so it wouldn’t make sense having an ICE model (Q5/Q8) and an equivalent EV model (E-Tron). I think it’s going to have to choose which of those platforms it’s going to base the next Macan on and if I was a betting man I’d go with the Macan being built on the E-Tron platform. Porsche can sprinkle their handling magic and heritage design cues and away we go.

So, personally I can’t see there being another ICE Macan after the current model runs its course. The world is rapidly becoming accepting of EV vehicles as the mainstream and this will be even more so by 2022. Cayenne, Macan, Panamera – I can see those all transitioning to EV power at some point in their product cycle. Followed soon after by the Boxster/Cayman and eventually even the 911 will have to succumb to the inevitable :cry: Would it even still be a 911? :roll:

Anyway, that’s my two penn’orth :geek:
Autoblog article from Oct 18 more or less backs this up.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/15/por ... acan-2022/

The E-Tron platform is a bit confusing as there are several flavours of it under development. The one being used in the upcoming E-Tron SUV is only a modified Q5/7 platform, so not the real deal. The Taycan platform is something different again.

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

GMAN75 wrote: Here are 2 relatively recent articles. A full EV 911 isn't on the cards. SUVs are but haven't, it seems, been denominated as Macan or Cayenne yet.
WooHoo!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
JBA

Post by JBA »

VanB wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:50 pm Personally, I think if the Macan goes BEV in 2022 they will ditch ICE iterations of the model and simply release a variation of batteries and performance. It doesn't make any logical economic sense to keep 2 platforms in manufacture alongside each other. In fairness, a BEV Macan would be a compelling option, especially if it has fast charging and a half decent range and Porsche will have learnt a fair amount from the Taycan by then too.
I think that Porsche are hedging their bets by offering both electric and ICE. Very sensible as I think 2022 is way too early (and unrealistic) to expect a significant market turn away from ICE vehicles. I also think that the electric vehicle industry still needs a game changer technology break through before it seriously threatens the amazing progress made with ICE vehicles so far.
I may be one of the few, but I am still not convinced by fully electric vehicles based on how the tech is shaping up to date. Hoping 911s will always be ICE😊
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

JBA wrote: ...
Hoping 911s will always be ICE[emoji4]
Ditto!
VanB

Post by VanB »

I believe a hybrid version is due with the 992.2 but no sign of an EV 911 for now.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:36 am I believe a hybrid version is due with the 992.2 but no sign of an EV 911 for now.
Makes sense as it's such an iconic car. Remember they couldn't even get away with updating the headlights to something a little more contemporary in the 996! A hybrid should be acceptable to most though, especially with the 918/919 hybrid race provenance.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

How about, fit 2-cyl-boxer engine at the back, fit electric motors to the front, batteries in freed-up space + under the seats + in the glove compartment, et voila!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Peteski wrote:
Pivot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm
I was under the impression that this was a global forum.
I'm not seeing many posters from third world countries here. Given that it's a .co.uk website I would say it's about 98% uk posters and a few ex-pats.
Well, I am an App user running on an iPad, so I didn’t see the URL of this forum... all I care, it’s full of motorheads talking ‘Macan’. Besides, Earth is a small planet...
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 am How about, fit 2-cyl-boxer engine at the back, fit electric motors to the front, batteries in freed-up space + under the seats + in the glove compartment, et voila!
If you read a lot of the commentary around the release of the 992, the car has been engineered to accept a hybrid drivetrain. How specifically that would work is anyone's guess but the use of batteries will be minimal. They spent decades perfecting the handling a rear engined layout where once it was a widowmaker. They aren't going to go backwards there!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

With Porsche doing Formula E next season (?) i don't believe there can be any doubt as to where they're ultimately heading.

And with the WEC committing to a hydrogen class with Le Mans '24 being the first big target it will be very interesting to see what transpires in the years ahead. Maybe the world won't be totally EV at all.

"Having implemented diesel and then hybrid technology over recent years, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest says the hydrogen fuel cell is its next target and has set up a working group to formalise it.

The WEC revealed that seven major manufacturers and part makers are actively developing the technology to set the conditions for the new class.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀