Macan BEV v Facelift

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

GMAN75 wrote:
Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 am How about, fit 2-cyl-boxer engine at the back, fit electric motors to the front, batteries in freed-up space + under the seats + in the glove compartment, et voila!
If you read a lot of the commentary around the release of the 992, the car has been engineered to accept a hybrid drivetrain. How specifically that would work is anyone's guess but the use of batteries will be minimal. They spent decades perfecting the handling a rear engined layout where once it was a widowmaker. They aren't going to go backwards there!
I would love to see more details on 992 hybrid design.
BMW i8 has done a good job with a hybrid powertrain: 3-cyl petrol engine + electric motors... great ride!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
GMAN75 wrote:
Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 am How about, fit 2-cyl-boxer engine at the back, fit electric motors to the front, batteries in freed-up space + under the seats + in the glove compartment, et voila!
If you read a lot of the commentary around the release of the 992, the car has been engineered to accept a hybrid drivetrain. How specifically that would work is anyone's guess but the use of batteries will be minimal. They spent decades perfecting the handling a rear engined layout where once it was a widowmaker. They aren't going to go backwards there!
BMW i8 has done a good job with a hybrid powertrain: 3-cyl petrol engine + electric motors... great ride!
It could well follow the lead of the 918 i.e. two independent electric motors, one on the front axle and one on the rear in parallel with the engine. Front drive only via the electric motor, rear drive via electric motor + engine. No need for a prop shaft to drive the front wheels. Or they could simplify it by only having a single electric motor driving the front wheels, with just the engine driving the rears. Either hybrid layout offers some inherent advantages over the current AWD 911 and should remain true to its heritage retaining a rear engined flat 6 layout. I think it lends itself very well to develop into an AWD hybrid.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
GMAN75 wrote:
One source is Car Magazine - I had the hard copy at home which discussed this in greater detail but here's a link to the site:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... e/911-992/

They quote:

"For sure. We hear the 992.2 will mix a 3.0 flat six with a 70kW e-motor and 10.8kWh battery pack, for short bursts of silent running and devastating performance. Like 3.5sec 0-62mph and 197mph flat-out. That's our kind of eco performance car!"

Could be quite a decent eco warrior! LOL!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

What eco warrior? Looks like hybrid savagery! I VANT VAN!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 pm
They quote:

"For sure. We hear the 992.2 will mix a 3.0 flat six with a 70kW e-motor and 10.8kWh battery pack, for short bursts of silent running and devastating performance. Like 3.5sec 0-62mph and 197mph flat-out. That's our kind of eco performance car!"

Sounds like they are going for a single electric motor, probably on the front axle in place of a conventional mechanical AWD. Should be well balanced and not too heavy (compared to their 4-wheel drive versions) as the battery weight will be offset by deleting the mechanical drive to the front wheels. Still, I think the Taycan will be more practical for me as a daily driver with better rear seating and a full EV drivetrain.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 am
Dandock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am +1 Not the fault of the engine, though.
I agree. That's the thing I just don't get with Toyota. All their "alternative" fuel vehicles are fugly as hell. Of course they won't sell them if that's how they choose to play it! I saw one of these mutants on the A43 the other week, probably heading to Swindon for some fuel.
Generally Toyota's are bland at best, an exception perhaps is their GT86

Capture 2.PNG

....and this is so beautiful?

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:07 pm ....and this is so beautiful?
Capture.PNG
I thought you got bored talking about Teslas, but since you brought it up I think they look good. The Model X can be a bit polarising because it bucks the trend for a 7-seater SUV, but it looks a lot cooler than any minivan I can think of. The Model S is much more conventional and looks great for it. Then there's the new Roadster, which is stunning!

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 am
SAC1 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am Toyota is also championing car hydrogen development.

Yet they seem to think people will be wanting to buy this:-

I just don't get Toyota and certainly not their vision of the future.
Maybe you don't but you cannot dismiss the facts:
>Selling over ten million cars a year for five years in a row
>The most most highly valued car company in the world
>Massive investments in Battery and Fuel Cell solutions
>Objective to have half their annual sales through EV by 2030

Do though agree that their design style is yet to hit the mark for Western European tastes, however their tech and build quality is excellent.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 1874

MikeM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm
SAC1 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am Toyota is also championing car hydrogen development.

Do though agree that their design style is yet to hit the mark for Western European tastes, however their tech and build quality is excellent.
Of course Toyota sell a lot of mundane boxes to the masses, but they've only managed to sell literally a few thousand of these Mirai things globally since 2014, so it hasn't really taken off in the same way as alternative EVs. If Toyota can't crack this market then who else can? People often talk about "Tesla killers" but the term "Mirai killer" is not quite so popular.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:36 pm
MikeM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Of course Toyota sell a lot of mundane boxes to the masses, but they've only managed to sell literally a few thousand of these Mirai things globally since 2014, so it hasn't really taken off in the same way as alternative EVs. If Toyota can't crack this market then who else can? People often talk about "Tesla killers" but the term "Mirai killer" is not quite so popular.
Saw that thing skulking around again today. It's either an Uber or they're running some testing platform. Whatever it's doing it can certainly kill one thing...your zeal for motoring and wanting to be seen in public! :lol: