Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
northroad

Post by northroad »

I have just taken my Macan into Porsche Hatfield after noting that the mat at the rear seat behind the drivers seat was soaking wet. They have had it for a couple of days now and I have just received the fault finding video. It is reported that the wind deflector on the sun roof was also soaking wet and this floor problem has been caused by the drainage ducts on the four corners being blocked and water then seeping into the car. It was also found that the drivers side well mats are also wet. They have said on the video report that this is going to cost in excess of a thousand pounds. As I have probably only had the sunroof open less than a dozen times I find this rather alarming. Surely this should have been checked as part of the warranty extension and service I had completed in March of this year along with the first MOT and I do think the bill to cure the problem is really excessive.
Any suggestions welcome.
Geoff

Guy

Post by Guy »

I am pretty sure that any scheduled maintenance should have included sunroof drain inspection - the March service should have picked this up but they will probably argue that the blockage has occurred since then.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Been discussed previously.....seemingly straightforward DIY if you’re that way inclined...

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5040&p=148762&hilit=Sunroof+drains#p148762
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

My GTS has been in for similar work recently. The OH noticed that water was running down the inside of the car on the driver side......originating from somewhere around the A pillar, past the fuse box and into the footwell, soaking the carpet. She also noticed it running down the pax side but not quite as much. I explored so far as I could, sun roof curtain was soaked (still not certain if that is supposed to happen) but couldn’t find any evidence of blockage at the entry to the roof drains.

Called the OPC and was asked the standard..... “do you park it under trees?” ...... answer is no,...... eventually the car went in and inspected, leak was confirmed and it seems that a pipe somewhere was “twisted..... installed incorrectly “. A spare was ordered, with an ensuing delay and eventually the car was fixed...... FOC.

I was a tad concerned as I do have a dash cam fitted but no mention was made of this. However, with a previous leak, that ran into the battery compartment (and started to fill it up) there was a sucking of breath moment and the dash cam was mentioned. But, to their credit the OPC said that it wasn’t the fitting of the cam that had caused the issue.

I really do question how wise it is to opt for the pano roof. I know the sales folk say “oh it’s a must have option and you will only be able to sell your Macan for £8.50 if you don’t have one fitted etc etc”. In reality mine has been open a handful of times in 2.5 years and the trouble it has caused has been out of proportion to the benefit. So, going forward, no pano roof for me if I spec new and definitely won’t buy a SH car with one.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rigger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:24 am I really do question how wise it is to opt for the pano roof. I know the sales folk say “oh it’s a must have option and you will only be able to sell your Macan for £8.50 if you don’t have one fitted etc etc”. In reality mine has been open a handful of times in 2.5 years and the trouble it has caused has been out of proportion to the benefit. So, going forward, no pano roof for me if I spec new and definitely won’t buy a SH car with one.......
I agree 100%. From reading various posts about pano roof-related issues, I would not order one. More cost, more weight, more complexity & more to go wrong. Oh, and less structural rigidity. I have driven multiple loaners with a pano roof, and for me, having a glass roof was not a life-changing experience. Many on here have sold a Macan with no pano roof with no issues at all. I think the benefits are largely in the mind of the salespeople. With showroom appeal, when you first see a pano roof, there may be a little 'Wow' moment, but that's about it. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

For all the reasons discussed I did not spec a sunroof on my Gen2.

As more stories appear about the pano-related issues we will start to see buyers in the pre-owned market looking to buy cars without a glass roof.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
Roadrunner996

Post by Roadrunner996 »

I'm glad that my GTS doesn't have one !! I have a pano roof on my Mini Cooper but its rarely opened . My 996 had a sunroof but I couldn't live with the buffeting sensation so didn't bother opening it after the first week of ownership . My 997 GT3 and Cayman R didn't come with a sunroof (obviously) so not having a pano on my GTS wasn't an issue when I was looking to buy.......
Previous: 996.2 C4, 997.1 GT3 CS , Cayman R, Macan GTS
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A lot of second hand buyers will like the idea of a pano roof, but none will be prepared to part with the extra 2k it cost new. Like most optional extras, most of the value disappears in the first three years , thereafter the car is valued on mileage and condition. Salesmen love them of course as they're a nice to have feature that the first time owner has taken most of the financial hit for already. I myself see Pano roofs as a bit of a "Kings new clothes" thing. Lots say they're a must have, so the myth gets perpetuated even if when most will never be opened after the first buffeting experience and many with the blind closed so that you don't look your driving around with the inside light on
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

paulmac wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 am For all the reasons discussed I did not spec a sunroof on my Gen2.

As more stories appear about the pano-related issues we will start to see buyers in the pre-owned market looking to buy cars without a glass roof.

Paul
... I agree with that sentiment, and it's not just a Porsche problem by any means . However, if your car is garaged I would think the risk is low, particularly if you "detailing" maintenance includes a blow through the pipes and a wipe over of all the components with the sunroof open ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Ferdie wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 am
paulmac wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 am For all the reasons discussed I did not spec a sunroof on my Gen2.

Paul
... I agree with that sentiment, and it's not just a Porsche problem by any means . However, if your car is garaged I would think the risk is low, particularly if your "detailing" maintenance includes a blow through the pipes and a wipe over of all the components with the sunroof open ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960