Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andreas

Post by andreas »

The pano roof drains seem to be an easy way to con owners out of £300. One of the less satisfactory aspects of Porsche ownership.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:21 pm If there was an issue with blocked drains and subsequent leaks you would presumably claim on the warranty? If so, the checks are to their advantage to stop a warranty claim - why should you pay at all?
Yes, you would hope to claim on the warranty, however, my OPC have told me that if this drain checking/unblocking wasn’t carried out as part of the LLG report, then a note would be made against my car to this effect, and any future warranty claims due to water leakage into the car caused by a blocked drain would not be accepted!! 😲🤔

It certainly looks like Porsche have got you over the barrel with this work, and it certainly appears an easy way to top-up their coffers!! 🤑🤑
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
andreas

Post by andreas »

AllanG wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:39 pm

Yes, you would hope to claim on the warranty, however, my OPC have told me that if this drain checking/unblocking wasn’t carried out as part of the LLG report, then a note would be made against my car to this effect, and any future warranty claims due to water leakage into the car caused by a blocked drain would not be accepted!! 😲🤔
You posted earlier that the LLG report has a requirement to check the drains. What's the price of the LLG report? Surely this should include the work?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:21 pm If there was an issue with blocked drains and subsequent leaks you would presumably claim on the warranty? If so, the checks are to their advantage to stop a warranty claim - why should you pay at all?

It certainly looks like Porsche have got you over the barrel with this work, and it certainly appears an easy way to top-up their coffers!! 🤑🤑
Sorry Allan but I just don’t accept what they are saying. The sunroof is an integral part of the car and needs to be fit for purpose full stop. If they feel that they need to make certain checks and actions to keep it that way, then that’s their call. As long as you have not caused it to fail through misuse, it should work as it is not a consumable component.
Would you accept a £300 bill for them to check that the wheels are still round? 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
pmg

Post by pmg »

andreas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:48 pm

You posted earlier that the LLG report has a requirement to check the drains. What's the price of the LLG report? Surely this should include the work?
I do not have a pano roof, but my understanding is there is no charge for the LLG report as a simple walk round inspecting the car before the formal service and on my bill for the two-year service there is no direct mention
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
GTB

Post by GTB »

Very interesting topic yet again. My take on this would be if the drains on Macans have been known to block and cause water ingress etc, which looking at threads on the subject is well documented. Now some cars depending on the Gen 1,2 or 3 plus where car is parked, plus how weekly/monthly washing is carried out would all affect if the drains become clogged or not. Would I consider the car owner responsible for clearing the drains as part of their owners responsibility I would say no.
If the LLG report is a walk round then any visual inspection can only tell so much, after all can your GP diagnose an illness within your body just be looking at you? so a visual inspection is very limited.

Now the formal two years manufacturers service is legally you the owner "Maintaining" the car according to the manufacturers reccomendations and change of appropriate consumables and oils/liquids etc, because the service technicians have the appropriate knowledge, training, tools etc, as such because Porsche know of the drain problem the clearing or at least checking of the drain hoses and outlets should be carried out within that formal inspection and cost (if any) is within that service interval cost.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I had a four year service carried out last week and the rear sunroof drains were identified as being blocked. Sure enough the video showed water in the boot and they quoted something like 3 hours (I glazed over at this point). They had already stamped the LLG report for year 4, so I paid for the service (£630) and nothing more.
Yesterday I thought I’d investigate and I found that if you remove the side trims, behind the first aid kit and where the tyre compressor lives, you can see the rubber drains running down either side of the boot. If you tug them hard enough where they pass through the boot floor it is possible to pull them free and to work from within the boot. I actually used a wet and dry vacuum to clear the drains from within the boot without removing the wheel arch liners or anything else. Took me about 30 mins including testing afterwards. Job done.
I will now monitor the boot for any further water, but so far so good.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 pm I had a four year service carried out last week and the rear sunroof drains were identified as being blocked. Sure enough the video showed water in the boot and they quoted something like 3 hours (I glazed over at this point). They had already stamped the LLG report for year 4, so I paid for the service (£630) and nothing more.
Yesterday I thought I’d investigate and I found that if you remove the side trims, behind the first aid kit and where the tyre compressor lives, you can see the rubber drains running down either side of the boot. If you tug them hard enough where they pass through the boot floor it is possible to pull them free and to work from within the boot. I actually used a wet and dry vacuum to clear the drains from within the boot without removing the wheel arch liners or anything else. Took me about 30 mins including testing afterwards. Job done.
I will now monitor the boot for any further water, but so far so good.
That's a sensible approach. I found that it's easy to pull the pipe fittings out of the boot fllor and replace them afterwards (a smear of silicone grease helps). I also cut off the duckbill valves on the pipe fittings, as these seem prone to blocking.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Yes, I used Vaseline to aid refitting and I also cut the narrow ends off the pipes.
This is exactly the same design as my old BMW 5 series touring. It had the pano roof and often had a puddle in the boot. The drains are the same, wouldn’t mind betting they are made by the same manufacturer.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

This thread is shocking.

I wonder what would happen if those affected threatened a class action.

I feel for you.