Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JBA

Post by JBA »

GTS in for its first minor service (only 8.5k miles done from new).

Just been told that ducts around bonnet and roof rails need unblocking due to build up of leaves etc. Advisor says a common problem for Porsches and if not dealt with could lead to water ingress. This is a new one on me as I've never encountered this in any of my new cars from other brands previously. Cost about £267 on top of the charge for the minor Service .
A little bit peeved and currently waiting for it to be done while I wait, and also for a decision on whether they can discount this ( I politely voiced my protest).
Any thoughts or similar experiences with this issue anyone?
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024

VanB

Post by VanB »

Sounds very unlikely to me! Just an excuse to charge a bit more most likely.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

£267 - nice work if you can get it. Suggest you ask for a video showing the issue.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

I had this problem within the first year, job was done under warranty.
Not happened since.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It is a known problem that has happened to a few owners.

The good news is that you have not had any internal problems which has happened to other Macan owners.

When my Macan went into have its service I specifically asked for them to (A) check the transfer box condition (B) check the condition of the discs and (C) check that the pano drainage was clear.

They reported no issues and it was all included in the fixed price service cost.

Since it is a known issue to me its a warranty matter as its a design fault in the eyes of this Engineer and even if it is not a design fault in Porsches eyes it is a failure point and they should have included to check the drainage and clear it out within their Service Routine Schedule.

Failure to have it checked and automatically cleared by their Sevice Centre is a failure of Porsche’s Service Routine.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:10 pm It is a known problem that has happened to a few owners.

The good news is that you have not had any internal problems which has happened to other Macan owners.

When my Macan went into have its service I specifically asked for them to (A) check the transfer box condition (B) check the condition of the discs and (C) check that the pano drainage was clear.

They reported no issues and it was all included in the fixed price service cost.

Since it is a known issue to me its a warranty matter as its a design fault in the eyes of this Engineer and even if it is not a design fault in Porsches eyes it is a failure point and they should have included to check the drainage and clear it out within their Service Routine Schedule.

Failure to have it checked and automatically cleared by their Sevice Centre is a failure of Porsche’s Service Routine.
A good point, well made.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
JBA

Post by JBA »

Thanks all. I ended up paying £170 to get it sorted! However now that I've seen all your advice and comments, I think a call to Porsche Customer Service to report the unfairness of this is justified. Thanks all...and will keep you posted if any joy.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I am not clear on what ducts and where, I'd appreciate a clearer explanation of where these ducts are and why/how they get clogged and why we need to pay someone to unclog them i.e. why is it so difficult to get some leaves out of a hole
JBA

Post by JBA »

Fairynuff wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 pm I am not clear on what ducts and where, I'd appreciate a clearer explanation of where these ducts are and why/how they get clogged and why we need to pay someone to unclog them i.e. why is it so difficult to get some leaves out of a hole
I haven't a clue either...which is why I am so annoyed about it. Just had to take the OPC's word for it.
Loads of very knowledgeable contributors to this forum so I am sure they'll be some further clarification forthcoming soon.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

There are possible three areas they are talking about. The area below the scuttle has drain holes to release water than runs off the screen into the scuttle area - there are two serrated rubber covers that can block. Access is ok but you need to remove a few plastic panels under the bonnet.

The second are the front sunroof drains which come out near the bottom of the A pillar. Access is easy. Finally the rear sunroof drains which are hidden under the rear rubber seals and drain behind the rear wheel arch liners. To clean you remove the rear wheel liners and insert a cleaning wire up the pipe until it comes out at the sunroof. You can also clean the channels using a think vacuum through the rubber seal channel.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8