Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Given the quantity of rain we've had over the last 10 days this should determine whether your GTS is now waterproof. Great to hear such diligent service from your dealer.

Care to share the OPC location.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

CliveH

Post by CliveH »

I've also posted this in a related thread (https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5040&p=192989#p192989) but here is my dilemma:

My issue is that the water is coming into the car just above the A pillar and dripping onto the driver's footwell (nowhere else). It went back to the dealer who sold me it (not OPC) and they cleared out both front drains. That seemed to cure it for a while but with the weekend rain the problem is back again.

The front drains appear to be clear but the wind deflector is wet through and there is standing water in this area which doesn't seem to get channelled to the drain holes.
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
pt964

Post by pt964 »

May be the sunroof seal, which I’ve just had replaced
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

CliveH wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm I've also posted this in a related thread (https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5040&p=192989#p192989) but here is my dilemma:

My issue is that the water is coming into the car just above the A pillar and dripping onto the driver's footwell (nowhere else). It went back to the dealer who sold me it (not OPC) and they cleared out both front drains. That seemed to cure it for a while but with the weekend rain the problem is back again.

The front drains appear to be clear but the wind deflector i
Clive - this sounds exactly like the problem I had with mine. Take a look at my post above.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Ah ok, thanks Rigger, so a “bonding issue”.

Any idea how to recognise one of those and how they fixed it?

I’m beginning to have the same thoughts as you - hand the car back at the end of the PCP and find one without a sunroof, seems to be more trouble than it’s worth.
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

CliveH wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm Ah ok, thanks Rigger, so a “bonding issue”.

Any idea how to recognise one of those and how they fixed it?

I’m beginning to have the same thoughts as you - hand the car back at the end of the PCP and find one without a sunroof, seems to be more trouble than it’s worth.
Sorry, no idea how they identified it or where they applied the sealant but it has definitely fixed the issue. The water used to stream down from the driver side A pillar (and not quite so much from the pax side A pillar) but now - even after all the recent heavy rain - it appears to be staying dry. The fact that the car had been in 3 times previously makes me think that this bonding issue isn’t widely known. When this first started the battery compartment was awash with water which caused issues with my c-tek charger. Just glad it didn’t cause wider electrical problems which is what the OPC told me had happened where vehicles were leaking into the boot.

All this is a bit of a problem if it gets worse with age though.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
JBA

Post by JBA »

Just had my 111 check for extended warranty and BINGO...just been told drainage ducts need clearing £200+. Shocking as had them cleared before at first service, and never parked under a tree since. Car has only done 12.5k miles in 3 years. Have challenged OPC on the basis of known manufacturer fault and therefore not subject to "wear and tear" warranty exclusion. Like a few others I am seriously thinking of selling the car now. Very disappointing from Porsche and unacceptable for a premium car.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
adam b

Post by adam b »

My OPC were very good and waived the cost when I got a 111/extended warranty.

If it re-occurs I will be arguing strenuously it should be covered, its not cosmetic and its not wear and tear (nothing is wearing out through use, its just a design fault) thought they told me they trim the tube ends which tend to get pinched and this should alleviate the issue
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
JBA

Post by JBA »

adam b wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:18 pm My OPC were very good and waived the cost when I got a 111/extended warranty.

If it re-occurs I will be arguing strenuously it should be covered, its not cosmetic and its not wear and tear (nothing is wearing out through use, its just a design fault) thought they told me they trim the tube ends which tend to get pinched and this should alleviate the issue
Thanks Adam B. Totally agree and very helpful points for negotiating when this design fault issue re-occurs as it no-doubt will.

Update from OPC: will waive cost as good will gesture. My service contact is a brilliant guy but not sure someone else will do the same in future.

I wonder if they've resolved this sunroof/ drainage issue for Mk 2 Macan? Anyone know?
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

After a couple of stiff emails my CP has agree to sort it foc - as a gesture of goodwill. This after Porsche, apparently, had refused to fund it! As I said to Dan (cp) if Porsche’s position became widely known it would be something they would regret.

Anyway... just need to book it in which, to help mitigate their time, I’ll do along with the fuel pump recall work.

Thanks everyone for their input. 😀
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀