Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Just had similar during my 111 point check. Incandescent was my response to the suggested £200 cost for cleaning ducts. Given my Macan is always garaged, 3 years old and with only 12500 miles how can a blocked drainage duct be anything other than a design issue? Clearly there are too many people who will accept such a suggestion. Drainage ducts should drain, if they block on a number of vehicles in a short space of time then they are not fit for purpose.

Following investigation it appears that the drainage duct non return valve ( to prevent water flowing up the duct if you submerge the vehicle!) was blocked with dust and grease from sun roof. As a mark of “goodwill”charge was waived , probably due to the fact they know that this is a design issue.

A simple answer would be to remove this unnecessary valve ( my view). I suggest any Forum member reading this does not accept a charge for cleaning out ducts.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Crazy diamond wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:02 pm Just had similar during my 111 point check. Incandescent was my response to the suggested £200 cost for cleaning ducts. Given my Macan is always garaged, 3 years old and with only 12500 miles how can a blocked drainage duct be anything other than a design issue? Clearly there are too many people who will accept such a suggestion. Drainage ducts should drain, if they block on a number of vehicles in a short space of time then they are not fit for purpose.

Following investigation it appears that the drainage duct non return valve ( to prevent water flowing up the duct if you submerge the vehicle!) was blocked with dust and grease from sun roof. As a mark of “goodwill”charge was waived , probably due to the fact they know that this is a design issue.

A simple answer would be to remove this unnecessary valve ( my view). I suggest any Forum member reading this does not accept a charge for cleaning out ducts.
My sentiments exactly. If word got out Porsche would be a laughingstock.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
JBA

Post by JBA »

Crazy diamond wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:02 pm Just had similar during my 111 point check. Incandescent was my response to the suggested £200 cost for cleaning ducts. Given my Macan is always garaged, 3 years old and with only 12500 miles how can a blocked drainage duct be anything other than a design issue? Clearly there are too many people who will accept such a suggestion. Drainage ducts should drain, if they block on a number of vehicles in a short space of time then they are not fit for purpose.

Agree. A serious issue.
Porsche should cover this under warranty or standard service at no extra charge. Just not good enough that a premium car £50k plus is so vulnerable to rain or moisture. Ridiculous!
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

And I bet the sales folk are still peddling the line....... “oh if you don’t opt for a pano roof your car will only be worth £4.50 at trade in time.......”

I suspect that as time moves on the more informed folk will be looking for cars without a pano roof.....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Roadrunner996

Post by Roadrunner996 »

I suspect that as time moves on the more informed folk will be looking for cars without a pano roof.....

I hope so ;)
Previous: 996.2 C4, 997.1 GT3 CS , Cayman R, Macan GTS
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Whilst not wanting upset the speak-to-soon gremlins, apart from this risible drain issue my pano roof has performed faultlessly. It adds controllable light via the blind into the cabin and ample amount of fresh air(?) and sunshine as required.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Dandock wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 am Whilst not wanting upset the speak-to-soon gremlins, apart from this risible drain issue my pano roof has performed faultlessly. It adds controllable light via the blind into the cabin and ample amount of fresh air(?) and sunshine as required.
+1. Never had an issue with blocked drain pipes either in nearly 3 years use.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm
Dandock wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 am Whilst not wanting upset the speak-to-soon gremlins, apart from this risible drain issue my pano roof has performed faultlessly. It adds controllable light via the blind into the cabin and ample amount of fresh air(?) and sunshine as required.
+2 .... 3 1/2 yrs, parked outside alongside a 10ft conifer hedge......!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm
+2 .... 3 1/2 yrs, parked outside alongside a 10ft conifer hedge......!
...which clearly kept the rain off, Paul. 😳
northroad

Post by northroad »

It’s back at Hatfield again with the same water ingress from the sunroof/drain pipes. This is rather annoying and the drivers side post from the top to the bottom of the windscreen is once again soaking wet. As this is now the second time I have had this problem in just over a year when I have only done less than a thousand miles this year you can understand my frustration with the mechanic who took it in.
Same old excuse rose it’s head when leaving it have you been parked under a tree. Seems to me that it is a design fault for all sunroof fitted Porsches backed up by the fact that on my return home the new car salesman just happened to phone to see if I wanted to invest in a new one. When I mentioned I had just been up there and told him the problem he commented that there was a 911 just going through the water test with the same problem at the moment.
Beautiful car this Turbo Macan but this problem does seem to be too common for it not to be a design fault. It does worry me what damage is being done to all those electrics under the floor especially the control box.

Geoff