New sq5

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

johnd wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 am
Caster wrote: ↑Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 pm New Q3 does look good inside + reasonably pokey in 2.0 45 TFSI format but no chance (yet) to replace chrome window surrounds with black so that's a non starter πŸ™‚.
Vorsprung trim on the new Q3 has the black styling pack as standard. But unfortunately also includes the 20" 40 profile wheels!
That rules out any Audi then + leaves (as others have mentioned) Cupra Areca, XC40 - both already available or T-Roc R out later this year. Plus, not mentioned earlier, the new Evoque 296bhp petrol which does have a tasty new interior - especially in SE and above spec. I've already been in 3 Volvo garages and not been offered a coffee or biscuit yet - so that rules out the XC40 πŸ™‚.
Personally I find the XC40 the more interesting of all the alternatives. It's different, a little cheeky but thoughtfully designed. I've got a T5 test-drive booked for this afternoon as it happens. But it's incontrovertibly less of a driver's car and I'm less than convinced about the infotainment screen - I suspect that the next Android-based iteration (a la Polestar 2) will be distinctly better, but no sign of its launch in the XC40 just yet.

Trouble with the new Evoque is that it's as heavy as a Macan so while 300bhp sounds good, all the first-drive comments seem to suggest that it doesn't feel as powerful as it should do.

Fundamental problem is that the Macan sets a pretty high bar in terms of engineering, ride, handling, premium feel, cachet etc, even if the performance of 2.0 or even S isn't stellar. Once you've experienced that then everything else seems to be second best, for all that I would prefer something half a size smaller.
Given that 60% of Porsche sales are SUVs it's surely only a matter of time before there's a Q3 platform model to join the Macan & Cayenne in the Porsche stable?
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,

johnd

Post by johnd »

Panthera wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 am Given that 60% of Porsche sales are SUVs it's surely only a matter of time before there's a Q3 platform model to join the Macan & Cayenne in the Porsche stable?
By all accounts there was previously a smaller SUV model in development (though quite how advanced the development was is anyone's guess - presumably major manufacturers have many designs in early development that never see the light of day).

But then VW was hit by the imminent EV revolution, dieselgate, the new WLTP regulations etc, all combining to force a major revision to new model plans. So I'd have guessed that there might still be a Macan Junior, but probably in EV form only and not actually available for 3 years or so, if not longer.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
darkness17

Post by darkness17 »

Could be that too many traditional Audi & VW customers started buying diesel Macan's & Cayennes as opposed to Q5's & Touaregs. Probably didn't help that porsche themselves described the Macan process as essentially re-engineering the Q5 so if you were a savvy buyer why would you buy a diesel Q5 when you can get a diesel Macan which as everyone agrees was extremely good and has better residuals

Maybe those buyers weren't spending as much on optional extras as your traditional Porsche buyer
Caster

Post by Caster »

MikeM wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:16 am .....If I was looking at something smaller definitely a T-Roc R would be worth exploring, as long as it has a sensible grown up interior, just not keen on the colour accents they use, obviously a different demographic target πŸ€” We have a Golf GTI and it’s a great motor (when my wife lets me drive itπŸ˜–)
The Good Lady has a T-Roc Mike + I quite enjoy driving it so will be interested to see the R version. Know what you mean about interior etc but getting used to it now - however, she grumbles about the lack of Surround View as an option (apparently not needed on smaller cars ie Q2 as well) but certainly about the right size.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Caster

Post by Caster »

Caster wrote: ↑Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 pm New Q3 does look good inside + reasonably pokey in 2.0 45 TFSI format but no chance (yet) to replace chrome window surrounds with black so that's a non starter πŸ™‚.
Vorsprung trim on the new Q3 has the black styling pack as standard. But unfortunately also includes the 20" 40 profile wheels!
That rules out any Audi then + leaves (as others have mentioned) Cupra Areca, XC40 - both already available or T-Roc R out later this year. Plus, not mentioned earlier, the new Evoque 296bhp petrol which does have a tasty new interior - especially in SE and above spec. I've already been in 3 Volvo garages and not been offered a coffee or biscuit yet - so that rules out the XC40 πŸ™‚.
Personally I find the XC40 the more interesting of all the alternatives. It's different, a little cheeky but thoughtfully designed. I've got a T5 test-drive booked for this afternoon as it happens. But it's incontrovertibly less of a driver's car and I'm less than convinced about the infotainment screen - I suspect that the next Android-based iteration (a la Polestar 2) will be distinctly better, but no sign of its launch in the XC40 just yet.

Trouble with the new Evoque is that it's as heavy as a Macan so while 300bhp sounds good, all the first-drive comments seem to suggest that it doesn't feel as powerful as it should do.

Fundamental problem is that the Macan sets a pretty high bar in terms of engineering, ride, handling, premium feel, cachet etc, even if the performance of 2.0 or even S isn't stellar. Once you've experienced that then everything else seems to be second best, for all that I would prefer something half a size smaller.
Thanks John - they did mention the Q3 Vorsprung but when they told me how much extra it would cost for loads of options I didn't need or even want ie tinted rear windows + 20"s you mentioned - I nearly choked on my biccie!

A smaller but just as heavy Evoque as a Macan does sound strange + as you say I'll be interested to see how it actually performs (with its mild hybrid tech) - if there's a 296 model available to demo!

It'll be nice to hear how you get on with the XC-40 test drive - are you in a T5 R-Design?
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
pmg

Post by pmg »

I was in the same dilemma between a Q3/ XC40 and a Macan, the Macan being as large a vehicle as I wanted to go. the RWD basis of the Macan, availability of 6 cyl refinement plus the availability of Air Suspension meaning a far better ride, meant this time the Macan won. Also, the Q3 was only just being announced and top models not then orderable. If going for an XC40 ask for firm promises on delivery timing as press reports delays.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
johnd

Post by johnd »

pmg wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am If going for an XC40 ask for firm promises on delivery timing as press reports delays.
I suspect that these are quite old reports of delays. When the XC40 was first released last year there was a big backlog of orders and some inevitable lengthy delays in delivery (though probably not quite on the scale of past Macan delays). I'm given to understand that the problem is now no worse than factory orders for many other models, eg around 8-10 weeks, but obviously various additional factors can be in play like how many build slots a particular dealer may have requested and been assigned.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

mark-yorkshire wrote: ↑Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am
Col Lamb wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm Go and have a test drive of a new Macan.

Then come back and comment on the difference in ride quality.

Of the 13 or so Macans that I have driven only one has given me back issues (large wheels no PASM) and that I liken to a Beamer or Audi with sports suspension.
I used to suffer with back problems but not had any problems for the last few years which I attribute in part to the suppportive seats in Porsche cars plus getting heat into my back via the heated seats. Never had PASM , always had big wheels and have now had every type of seat ( 1st Macan had 8 way seats , 2nd had 18 way and now on 14 way ).
Might have driven two when I placed an order - one with 14 way seats and 18s, one with 18 way and 20s. Didn’t find either noticeably better or worse than the Audi - although I wasn’t driving them back to back.

Interestingly the heated seats in a friends car GIVE her back ache ...
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Col Lamb wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm Go and have a test drive of a new Macan.

Of the 13 or so Macans that I have driven only one has given me back issues (large wheels no PASM) and that I liken to a Beamer or Audi with sports suspension.
I used to suffer with back problems but not had any problems for the last few years which I attribute in part to the suppportive seats in Porsche cars plus getting heat into my back via the heated seats. Never had PASM , always had big wheels and have now had every type of seat ( 1st Macan had 8 way seats , 2nd had 18 way and now on 14 way ).
I have to say the Porsche seats are the most comfortable I have experienced in a car.
I have the 18 ways which I love and keeps me firmly in place. I have driven with 8 and 14 way and found them great too but not owned to experience for any real length of time.

As a matter of interest what have you preferred as someone who has had them all?
GTS πŸ˜€
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 pm

I have to say the Porsche seats are the most comfortable I have experienced in a car.
I have the 18 ways which I love and keeps me firmly in place. I have driven with 8 and 14 way and found them great too but not owned to experience for any real length of time.

As a matter of interest what have you preferred as someone who has had them all?
If I were ordering a factory car today I would order 18 way seats as they are as comfortable as the 14 way but look better. I had them for almost 3 years in my last Macan and bolsters did not show any sign of wear when I sold the car.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.